Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By soccerbudd
  • 1 Post By tholap
  • 1 Post By dfwbrett
  1.    #1  
    With all the bad news that's been coming out today, I thought I'd start a support thread for people who love the Pre's form factor.

When the Pre was first announced in 2009, I was ecstatic as it met all of my physical requirements in a phone. The PHYSICAL keyboard was hidden to protect from ****-dialing, etc. It was a touchscreen smart phone. The slider was portrait so I could hold it in one hand (I often carry a lot of items into work).

I know the form factor isn't uber-popular and that slabs are all the rage, but for those of us who loved the Pre, there are really no other options.

I've been looking at the Motorola XPRT, but I think the phone is just ugly and HUGE. It was rumored Motorola may be coming out with a portrait slider on Sprint (running Android), but no news has come out about that since the leak.

The closest thing I can find is the Motorola Spice, but sadly it's only offered in Brazil. BRAZIL!

So, what are you Pre form factor lovers going to do?

Karla
    BlueTuna likes this.
    Dell had a portrait slider phone announced, but it never came out. I think they may have converted this into a WP7 device.

The XPRT is essentially the Droid Pro from Verizon. The phone had decent reviews, but was marketed as a business phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Dell had a portrait slider phone announced, but it never came out. I think they may have converted this into a WP7 device.

The XPRT is essentially the Droid Pro from Verizon. The phone had decent reviews, but was marketed as a business phone.
    It did actually. That's the Venue Pro.

Venue Pro Smartphone with Windows 7 Phone
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    So, what are you Pre form factor lovers going to do?

Karla
    I also like the form factor and I've decided to still get the Pre3 (assuming battery life is OK). 349 Euro was already a very good price and is now likely to drop even further.

For me app availability is a bonus - not a requirement. And as long as the os has no critical bugs I don't even need further updates. It comes with all the basic apps that I really need and use daily (email, browser, calendar etc...). With Newsroom I have all I need.

I would have liked more apps for remote desktop etc... - but it's not a requirement.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Andyf likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Well, more details did come out about the Motorola phone people were thinking was a slider. Unfortunately it's not. It's supposed to be a beefed up XPRT that's coming to Sprint. I'm thinking it's the closest thing I'll be able to go with.

I'd be interested in going with a Pre3 as well, but I don't know if it'll ever come to the US.

Karla
    I'd say get the Venue Pro. Its a pretty solid phone and was my dream phone until tmobile forced me to go android. (I happened to end up with my other dream phone so its all good)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

Ugh...on At&t too.

I was willing to switch carriers for the Pre, but not this phone. While I'm not opposed to WP, I just don't like the look of it.

Karla
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Well, as far as portrait sliders, there really isn't much out there. Nothing that can compete with the high end Android devices or the iPhones. The Venue Pro is really the only one that even comes close.

There's the Alcatel OT-980 which just looks horrible and is terribly under spec'd.

Then there's the BlackBerry Torch 9800, which is also underwhelming.

And then there is the Motorola SPICE XT300. Also underwhelming.

That's really all that I can find.
    I'll accept a decent qwerty kewyboard! No, I don't want a blackberry.

Until the other OS makers can figure out multi-tasking, I'm hanging on to my beat up Sprint Pre minus.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

I don't think it's the same phone. Venue Pro is much thicker and comes with chrome accents. This looks to be more of a next-gen Venue.
    Why not clamshell touchscreen phones with portrait keyboard? That's the form factor I love the most.

Most phones in Japan are clamshell - they don't have qwerty but since we've had clamshell qwerty phones in the US - LG Lotus, BB 9670 - I'm sure with a little tinkering, a very nice clamshell touchscreen can be had. Granted it may not have 4"+ screen, but if you stick to Pre's original screen size, it's entirely possible.