Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    For anyone out there that was holding out for a Pre3 (or Slab phone w/ WebOS) I feel for you. I really do. Not saying that WebOS is dead, but two massive hits to the system in as many years is going to be really hard to get back up from.

    If you’re starting to contemplate your options, I would suggest having a look at the Motorola Droid 3. If you still want a physical keyboard, it is one of the best (landscape not portrait.)

    Good luck all.

    -Suntan
  2. #2  
    I wouldn't be recommending any android to anyone unless it was a vanilla android device such as the google nexus s.

    Droids, HTC, etc, there all delayed theme crap. Especially coming from a ecosystem were we struggle to know when and if updates will come. Its nice to know when you get a google device, or webos device that usually your device is good for awhile. Not to let the carrier have you by the balls when it comes to updates.

    I myself have a Nexus S 4G on sprint.
  3. rahrah12's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I wouldn't be recommending any android to anyone unless it was a vanilla android device such as the google nexus s.

    Droids, HTC, etc, there all delayed theme crap. Especially coming from a ecosystem were we struggle to know when and if updates will come. Its nice to know when you get a google device, or webos device that usually your device is good for awhile. Not to let the carrier have you by the balls when it comes to updates.

    I myself have a Nexus S 4G on sprint.
    made me chuckle...
  4. #4  
    I have GalaxyS. On samfirmwares I can count 72 official firmwares for EURO region from may 2010 till today.
    I can't count all unofficial at XDA...
  5. #5  
    thanks....i will admit it is painful...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I wouldn't be recommending any android to anyone unless it was a vanilla android device such as the google nexus s.


    I myself have a Nexus S 4G on sprint.
    While I understand the attraction to a nexus device, personally I value the physical keyboard more than the 'purity' of vanilla android. The interface on moto's newer phones is fine.

    Coming from the "one sizefits all" of webs to android, there's more than enough to personalize even a locked android phone, IMO.

    -Suntan
  7. #7  
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...e-android.html


    http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...tml#post313874

    The Skins aren't as bad as people say even though i personally like Vanilla android.
  8. #8  
    Don't feel bad for me, my 26 month Sprint Pre still works fine and still does everything that I need a smartphone to do. I love my TouchPad and am certainly keeping it. This is actually good news for us webOS faithful because now webOS will finally get on hardware designed/manufactured by a company that is in the mobile device industry. As far as webOS goes, it will continued to be developed and updated.

    Come on, you don't think that this is a little bit strange that this is happening right after google buys Motorola and leaving companies such as HTC and Samsung feeling a little left out in the cold. Could it be that HP is receiving some lucrative offers right now that they can't ignore? Who knows, only time will tell.
    Stevesrjr86 likes this.
  9. #9  
    People who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    finngirl likes this.
  10. #10  
    I don't know about TouchWiz or Motoblur, but the Android market is filled with knockoff Sense widgets. If it is themed crap, it appears to be very popular themed crap. Furthermore it's more than just theming, Senses calendar, dialer, and keyboards put the vanilla equivalents to shame.

    I wouldn't be so quick to dump your webOS device. If no one picks it up, Android (Honeycomb and Ice Cream) and RIM are on track to copy most of it's features.
  11. #12  
    If you enjoy tinkering with your phone, I would suggest Android. However, Google has been blocking certain services/ apps from rooted devices.
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    If you enjoy tinkering with your phone, I would suggest Android. However, Google has been blocking certain services/ apps from rooted devices.
    Google hasn't blocked anything. Those blocks are placed by the individual manufacturers.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Google hasn't blocked anything. Those blocks are placed by the individual manufacturers.
    Google Blocks Rooted Android Devices From Renting Movies | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
  14. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Don't feel bad for me, my 26 month Sprint Pre still works fine and still does everything that I need a smartphone to do. I love my TouchPad and am certainly keeping it. This is actually good news for us webOS faithful because now webOS will finally get on hardware designed/manufactured by a company that is in the mobile device industry. As far as webOS goes, it will continued to be developed and updated.

    Come on, you don't think that this is a little bit strange that this is happening right after google buys Motorola and leaving companies such as HTC and Samsung feeling a little left out in the cold. Could it be that HP is receiving some lucrative offers right now that they can't ignore? Who knows, only time will tell.
    Based on what? I want to believe, I really do, but the fact that no partner was announced at the *same time* they killed the products already on the market, indicates that this is very likely the end. Yet another royal foul-up by the mismanagement at HP, and this time I will not let myself be fooled.

    If I'm wrong, then maybe I will look at a licensed webOS device in a couple of years, but my existing August 2009 vintage Pre will not last that long, and certainly not having to stay with 1.4.5 for the next 12 months, minimum, if a partner does show up.
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    For anyone out there that was holding out for a Pre3 (or Slab phone w/ WebOS) I feel for you. I really do. Not saying that WebOS is dead, but two massive hits to the system in as many years is going to be really hard to get back up from.

    If you’re starting to contemplate your options, I would suggest having a look at the Motorola Droid 3. If you still want a physical keyboard, it is one of the best (landscape not portrait.)

    Good luck all.

    -Suntan
    I'd rather throw a grenade than to use a Motorola phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'd rather throw a grenade than to use a Motorola phone.
    You're entitled to that opinion. But have you actually tried the Droid 3 or are you just reiterated what you might have heard from somewhere else on the net?

    Anyway, I'm happy with my new phone and just wanted to share for anyone else still looking for a keyboard option (as their aren’t a lot out there.) There’s a lot of options overall, of course you can just hold on to your existing pre/veer/pixi until the server shut off too, pick the one that works best for you.

    -Suntan
    sinsin07 likes this.
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    You're entitled to that opinion. But have you actually tried the Droid 3 or are you just reiterated what you might have heard from somewhere else on the net?

    Anyway, I'm happy with my new phone and just wanted to share for anyone else still looking for a keyboard option (as their aren’t a lot out there.) There’s a lot of options overall, of course you can just hold on to your existing pre/veer/pixi until the server shut off too, pick the one that works best for you.

    -Suntan
    I can't get one anyways. Verizon doesn't operate a network up here.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  18. #19  
    My Pixi still works. Will use it as long as it does. I expect to get at least 2 more years out of it, maybe more.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions