Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Since its launch in November 2007, Android has not only dramatically increased consumer choice but also improved the entire mobile experience for users. Today, more than 150 million Android devices have been activated worldwide—with over 550,000 devices now lit up every day—through a network of about 39 manufacturers and 231 carriers in 123 countries. Given Android’s phenomenal success, we are always looking for new ways to supercharge the Android ecosystem. That is why I am so excited today to announce that we have agreed to acquire Motorola.
    Official Google Blog: Supercharging Android: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Not a joke, not a dream.
    Interesting and not a big surprise. Actually, I like what Motorola has to offer and bring to the field, but yes this is kinda a big surprise. Sorli...
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm guess it's a way of forcing more control on the handset market - because if google is releasing the latest updates to their phones quickly, then you (if you are samsung or whoever) better do the same or consumers might vote with their wallets.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The other thing is - Google instantly becomes a bigger player in the smartphone market than Microsoft and HP.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, now HP has to really push ahead with webos if they want to succeed. not that i ever liked Motorolla handsets before, but it was mostly cuz there UI always sucked ***. now with google im sure that will change.

hmmm looking at the numbers now i believe they may have over paid. over 12 billion for the handset maker. i cant say i agree with that -=X but if it helps keep HP at bay, and get closer to apple, then more power to them...
    Last edited by ijip; 08/15/2011 at 07:27 AM.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    this is huge. Never saw this coming.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    However it now leaves them in the weird situation where they are licensing an OS to their competition - not sure how this will work out over the long-term.
    kkhanmd and Rnp like this.
    hp better quit screwing around finally
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yes, palm was in a similar situation licensing palm os, and even with HP they dont plan on doing that at all~!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I had a feeling that Google would buy somebody... to get more ammo for the out-of-control software patent wars that are threatening everybody.

With Android being in the gunsights by Apple, this will no doubt strengthen the war chest of both Google and Motorola.

I don't believe this will affect WebOS much if at all. While the WebOS forces have always been the underdog, they have more than enough innovation on their side to trudge forward. What always worried me was Apple and the broken software patent system.

It's like a real war... all sides need enough ammo to keep things somewhat neutral... i.e. "mutually assured destruction" to keep the lawyers at bay and the engineers working on new innovations.

Bravo.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yep, the Patent portfolio is another big part of this - maybe as part of this escalation we are going to see some other consolidation between players?
    It'll be interesting to see how other hardware partners (HTC, LG, Samsung) feel about this. I'd have to think that they'd be alienated given that Motorola handsets will now be given more control over android, marketing power, and it will be synonymous with google now.

I.e, if you want to buy a "real" android/google phone, you need to buy a motorola.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    IMO, this was all about getting a hunk of patents. Now Google has some to hold onto and shake at other people when things get petty.

Overall though, I don’t see this being a big changer in the hardware manufacturer realm. Google didn’t buy Moto to make money off handsets. They bought Moto so they could keep making money off of the advertising that is funneled to their OS. They want HTC, Samsung, Sony, et al. to keep making android handsets by the boatload.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    HP!!!

NOW is the time to court other handset manufacturers!!!!
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    HP!!!

NOW is the time to court other handset manufacturers!!!!
    Why? Going with HP leaves them in the same situation they are in with Google - except they are now trying to sell an operating system with no market share. What's the advantage of going with HP in this situation?

However, this is also why (if they can pull it off) it's better for HP to try and create an OS that they own entirely rather than having to rely on the whims of partners.
    is it safe to say that apple's suits against google are now resolved since motorola and apple already had cross-license deals?

HP should buy RIMM now. Just for access to the enterprise server and patents. IMHO.
    Rnp likes this.
    This is extremely good news for Google, which IMO has just procured one of the absolute best (if not the best) handset makers in the world. And Motorola is certainly a good fit for Android, as their Blur UI is one of the best Android UIs IMO. However, I am saddened to think that there will never me a Motorola WP7 or possibly even a Motorola webOS device. Good move, Google, good move.

My WM5 Motorola Q (which I still have) is definitely one of my most favorite phones.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    is it safe to say that apple's suits against google are now resolved since motorola and apple already had cross-license deals?

HP should buy RIMM now. Just for access to the enterprise server and patents. IMHO.
    I don’t think that will ever be safe to say. As it was there was talk of Apple being in the process of taking legal action against Motorola because the “Xoom” tablet copied the ipad too much (even though it doesn’t look, act, or feel anything like the ipad.)

As for HP buying RIMM, I think that makes more sense than trying to court an HTC or someone like that. RIMMs portfolio of technology aligns much better with what HP said they want to focus on with WebOS. Also, why would HTC want to stop development on android and WP7 phones to go with WebOS? This would make sense only if HTC felt goolge was shunning 3rd party handset makers in favor of moto (which I don’t see google doing) *and* felt MS was shunning 3rd party makers in favor of Nokia (which might very well happen.)

-Suntan
    Rnp likes this.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As for HP buying RIMM, I think that makes more sense than trying to court an HTC or someone like that. RIMMs portfolio of technology aligns much better with what HP said they want to focus on with WebOS.
    I'm not sure this is as sensible as it first sounds, from all accounts, BES is a POS and it seems that the QNX phones from RIM will not support (from the outset) it or other core blackberry services because they can't get it to work. So trying to lash it together with WebOS? Could be a complete nightmare.
    it's the RIMM patents they would want, and the customer base.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast