Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    why should htc, Samsung, and LG, take the time and effort it used to with android, if google is there to one up at every turn.

they look to the left and here is Microsoft going above and beyond with support....
    ...because MS charges a hefty royalty on every device shipped. Android is free to the handset maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    the winner could be wp7 for the soul reason of being the only os left that is not competing in the hardware side.
    why should htc, Samsung, and LG, take the time and effort it used to with android, if google is there to one up at every turn.

they look to the left and here is Microsoft going above and beyond with support....
    The other OEMs aren't happy that they can't customize WP7 but Nokia can. Also google released that Motorola will be ran separate from Google and will still have to bid along with others for the right to build the next nexus. Remember to the general public the phone will just be a motorola phone with the powered by google logo just like the samsung and HTC phones.

The only things Samsung and HTC have to worry about is getting the Nexus phone other than that its business as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Some are already speculating that HTC and Samsung aren't happy with this, though and might start looking elsewhere.
    I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

HTC, Samsung, and other OEM partners supportive of Motorola Mobility acquisition, praise Google's defense of Android

http://www.androidcentral.com/oem-pa...ending-android

"Peter Chou, CEO, HTC:

“We welcome the news of today‘s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem.”
    Bert Nordberg, President & CEO, Sony Ericsson:

“I welcome Google‘s commitment to defending Android and its partners.”
    Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D, President & CEO, LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company:

“We welcome Google‘s commitment to defending Android and its partners.”

J.K. Shin, President, Samsung, Mobile Communications Division:

"We welcome today’s news, which demonstrates Google’s deep commitment to defending Android, its partners, and the ecosystem.""
    The fact of the matter is Apple and Microsoft got greedy and litigious. They wanted to exploit Android partners and thought Google wasn't going to do anything about it. Google fired back and will now engage in a patent holy war.
    Hi all,

Here is some additional background info, please see link.

I also think this may help webOS on tablets and smartphone other than those made by HP. If this deal goes thru, it is likely that other firms would want to make Google richer if they are both competing in the hardware end of the business. This may cause other firms to look for other OS's.

Take care,

Jay

Google's $12.5 billion Motorola Mobility bet: 6 reasons why it makes sense
    By Larry Dignan | August 15, 2011, 6:01am PDT

Google's $12.5 billion Motorola Mobility bet: 6 reasons why it makes sense | ZDNet

Summary: Google’s purchase of Motorola Mobility solves the search giant’s patent problems, gives it a bigger say in hardware integration and fixes a few other issues. Here’s a look at the moving parts.

Google’s aims to fix multiple lingering wireless issues with its $12.5 billion purchase of Motorola Mobility and overall the deal is just crazy enough to work.

On a conference call with analysts, Google CEO Larry Page outlined the rational for the deal. In a nutshell, Page is betting on mobility as the future of computing (Google statement, blog). But even with the grand themes of software-hardware integration and better user experiences, Google’s purchase of Motorola Mobility cures a lot of ills for the search giant.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post

HTC, Samsung, and other OEM partners supportive of Motorola Mobility acquisition, praise Google's defense of Android

OEM partners supportive of Motorola Mobility acquisition, praise Google's defense of Android | Android Central

The fact of the matter is Apple and Microsoft got greedy and litigious. They wanted to exploit Android partners and thought Google wasn't going to do anything about it. Google fired back and will now engage in a patent holy war.
    Maybe we have all got this back to front - maybe this is a way of keeping people in the android tent. People were expecting Motorola to be taking legal action against HTC and others for various patent violation. Maybe what CEOs have already heard is "You keep turning out Android handsets and you'll never heard a whisper of a lawsuit from us...".
    I know people like to make great, big sweeping generalizations on this, but I honestly think it is folly to try and lump “all the other android makers” into the same mindset.

HTC probably sees this as a good thing. I’m sure they much prefer to see significant support in patent litigation over any dislike of the notion of Android getting more cozy to a competitor right now.

Samsung on the other hand, most of its legal issues are not patents but plain, old copyright/trademark issues. Moto’s patents won’t do much for them. They are the only hardware maker with significant vertical integration and it shows in the equipment they bring to market. Moto was always at a cost disadvantage to them for this reason and now Moto has a differing advantage over them to even the playing field.

LG, I don’t really know what they think.

Sony, well they’re just sitting in the corner with a smile on there face, waiting for someone to turn a blind eye so they can hamstring them…

-Suntan
    Is it just me, or don't the statements from the four companies (HTC, Samsung, LG & Sony-Erricson), seem rather scripted and almost identical.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post

http://www.androidcentral.com/oem-pa...ending-android

What companies say to the press and what actually happens usually don't match. The OEMs don't want to burn their bridges.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Is it just me, or don't the statements from the four companies (HTC, Samsung, LG & Sony-Erricson), seem rather scripted and almost identical.
    Pretty much.

If you look at the comments listed at the bottom of that androidcentral article, even the android kool-aid drinkers tend to think that.

-Suntan
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    They will have heard before the announcement and agreed common wording.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/15/2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Google's $12.5 billion Motorola Mobility bet: 6 reasons why it makes sense | ZDNet

Summary: Googleís purchase of Motorola Mobility solves the search giantís patent problems....
    I think it's naÔve to say this "solves [Google's] patent problems". It just arms them too, to some extent. It's like the cold war, now Google's got the A-bomb too, Apple will get the H-bomb, and so on, with the one with the biggest pockets (and possibly the greatest nerve) winning. But the smaller powers will potentially bankrupt themselves trying to keep up. And some of them were once considered superpowers too (RIM? HP?? MS???)

Good for lawyers, bad for consumers.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Pretty much.

If you look at the comments listed at the bottom of that androidcentral article, even the android kool-aid drinkers tend to think that.

-Suntan
    err you mean fans of android. Obvious if they were kool aid drinkers they wouldn't be questioning it. (people learn to use terminology correctly)
    time for HP an Samsung to make a move!
    Samsung has the most to lose from this acquisition.
    They have the lowest U.S. market share of the Android manufacturer holy trinity.
    They manufactured the Nexus S, and presumably had a follow-up in development. No matter what Larry Page says, 'Pure Google' devices just lost a whole lot of meaning.
    They have the lowest mindshare in the U.S. You hear non-tech people talking about Android phones, they're going to be calling it the Droid or the Evo.
    They were also rumored as a webOS partner.
    Galaxy S line of phones were some of the most successful in Samsung history (until Galaxy SII phones).
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Samsung has the most to lose from this acquisition.
    They have the lowest U.S. market share of the Android manufacturer holy trinity.
    They manufactured the Nexus S, and presumably had a follow-up in development.
    No matter what Larry Page says, 'Pure Google' devices just lost a whole lot of meaning.
    They have the lowest mindshare in the U.S. You hear non-tech people talking about Android phones, they're going to be calling it the Droid or the Evo.
    They were also rumored as a webOS partner.

It's bid for every year by Android handset makers, so I doubt that would have had a follow-up in mind.

I still think this Samsung + WebOS stuff is garbage - Samsung already has one platform that sells like a dog (windows phone 7) and to jump aboard WebOS is to jump a platform that is currently doing worse - and has zero market share, no brand awareness, no buzz etc. People leaped on the android life-raft because of the opportunity to lift their handset sales, there is nothing to suggest (at the moment) that WebOS can do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's bid for every year by Android handset makers, so I doubt that would have had a follow-up in mind.

I still think this Samsung + WebOS stuff is garbage - Samsung already has one platform that sells like a dog (windows phone 7) and to jump aboard WebOS is to jump a platform that is currently doing worse - and has zero market share, no brand awareness, no buzz etc. People leaped on the android life-raft because of the opportunity to lift their handset sales, there is nothing to suggest (at the moment) that WebOS can do the same.
    While I donít think it really makes sense to license WebOS to Samsung (for a lot of the reasons you cite, namely that Samsung wouldnít want to) I think it would be a big coup if HP could get a deal to have SAMOLED+ displays for their phones.

Like them or dislike them, the SAMOLED+ displays get attention from phone-geeks and the phone-geek-bloggers.

Quite frankly, HP needs a standout feature or two to get people to look back at WebOS (Because just having cards isnít doing it.) SAMOLED+ is one of the main attention getters right now (VZW LTE could be argued as another one, but thatís a whole different discussion.)

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    While I donít think it really makes sense to license WebOS to Samsung (for a lot of the reasons you cite, namely that Samsung wouldnít want to) I think it would be a big coup if HP could get a deal to have SAMOLED+ displays for their phones.

Like them or dislike them, the SAMOLED+ displays get attention from phone-geeks and the phone-geek-bloggers.

Quite frankly, HP needs a standout feature or two to get people to look back at WebOS (Because just having cards isnít doing it.) SAMOLED+ is one of the main attention getters right now (VZW LTE could be argued as another one, but thatís a whole different discussion.)

-Suntan
    Samsung only sells Amoeld screens to people. They may start selling Samoled but they keep the good stuff for themselves. SAMOLED+ is old news when they have SAMOLED+ HD
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123