Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it's the RIMM patents they would want, and the customer base.
    I don’t think HP needs the patents (they have one or two of their own.) But if they do it right, they could really improve their standing as the true “business phone” option to their customers. That said though, HP hasn’t been batting 1000 with the handling of existing customers after a takeover in this market segment…

-Suntan
    I bet Samsung may give more technology to HP to make a kick *** hardware. Now that Apple doesn't like Sammy so much and google will give the best to Motorola like the best maps are on Android instead of iPhone
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Some are already speculating that HTC and Samsung aren't happy with this, though and might start looking elsewhere.

Maybe we can bring webOS into the era where Palm OS had the Sony CLIÉ?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Some are already speculating that HTC and Samsung aren't happy with this, though and might start looking elsewhere.

Maybe we can bring webOS into the era where Palm OS had the Sony CLIÉ?
    But why does that make any sense? If you are unhappy that the company licensing the OS is also competing against you - why would WebOS be better than Android? You are in the same situation except you are now trying to sell a product with no market share. Maybe I'm missing something but it just puts the companies in the same situation but with a different company licencing the OS to them - what's the killer commercial reason to make that leap?

If anything, I would think it would highlight to companies that licensing your OS leaves you at the mercy of the licensing company - Samsung currently has it's own OS that actually outsells WebOS in the US so if anything it would make more sense for them to throw more resources into that.
    HP needs to partner with Samsung. Never a better time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But why does that make any sense? If you are unhappy that the company licensing the OS is also competing against you - why would WebOS be better than Android? You are in the same situation except you are now trying to sell a product with no market share. Maybe I'm missing something but it just puts the companies in the same situation but with a different company licencing the OS to them - what's the killer commercial reason to make that leap?
    Because HP admitted that wanted to have more manufacturers on this but google did the exact opposite thing. From being just the software guy, bought a H/W company in order to sell their own devices. It's all about psychology :P
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    HP needs to partner with Samsung. Never a better time.
    Same question to you - why?

What advantage does it provide to Samsung?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    The patent war hots up. Good news for lawyers, bad for consumers wanting innovation. Patents were supposed to protect innovation, now they are turning into the tech equivalent of indulgences, in that you can buy them after you see your rivals have a particular feature.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I think google will sell off the hardware business. That's not something they want to be doing...
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Because HP admitted that wanted to have more manufacturers on this but google did the exact opposite thing. From being just the software guy, bought a H/W company in order to sell their own devices. It's all about psychology :P
    Hah that's one way of looking at it - but Samsung's OS outsells HPs (currently) and they have the expertise in the mobile space so why don't they get HP to licence that?
    Same question to you - why?

What advantage does it provide to Samsung?
    this would allow samsung to be less dependant on android and competing with google. Personally I think google will sell off the hardware business, and keep just the software and intellectual property.
    Hah that's one way of looking at it - but Samsung's OS outsells HPs (currently) and they have the expertise in the mobile space so why don't they get HP to licence that?
    Samsung's OS is not a real OS. It's like the os you can see in the old sony ericssons, the old nokia without symbian etc. It's just an OS so they can build phones with low-specs.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'd take it with comcast and the other analysts - they consider it real in the US.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Interesting words from Tim Weber on the BBC:

Google has released statements from three Android partners supporting the deal. They're clearly written with clenched teeth. To handset-makers, Microsoft's new Windows Phone software will suddenly look quite attractive.

And it puts a question mark over Google's new boss Larry Page. Does he have no better use for the company's cash than buying a fickle hardware business? Is Google losing corporate focus?

Ouch!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    nah, you misunderstood... HP wants a partner to help develop the ecosystem.... That means devices HP does not make, like tv, stereos, mp3 players.

but that does not mean HP is not open to stop selling phones and making deals with phone manufactures... As Leo said in all things digital in regards to HTC, they are open to ideas....

another words HP may release the pre3 and one more phone to the end of the year and starting next year they may focus on just tablets and pc's...

overall I think the big winner can be wp7
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    There's a reason why HP says it will only license webOS to manufacturers who won't compete with their products (that means no HTC or Samsung webOS phones/tablets, folks). Now Google is competing with the Android ecosystem, and Google develops Android. Any talk of not giving Motorola preference is, quite frankly, BS in my opinion.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Any talk of not giving Motorola preference is, quite frankly, BS in my opinion.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Why?

HP has clearly shown that a company can buy a phone maker for a lot of invested dollars and then give very little preference to the phones it makes…

-Suntan
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    nah, you misunderstood... HP wants a partner to help develop the ecosystem.... That means devices HP does not make, like tv, stereos, mp3 players.

but that does not mean HP is not open to stop selling phones and making deals with phone manufactures... As Leo said in all things digital in regards to HTC, they are open to ideas....

another words HP may release the pre3 and one more phone to the end of the year and starting next year they may focus on just tablets and pc's...

overall I think the big winner can be wp7
    It could be - but where is the demand? We could make an argument that we don't know the potential of WebOS yet because HP haven't given it there all yet but I am not sure we can say the same for WP7 - we saw an international launch on multiple carriers using handsets from multiple OEMs and promotion spend of $500 million - and what happened?

The public shrugged their shoulders and bought an iphone or an android.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the winner could be wp7 for the soul reason of being the only os left that is not competing in the hardware side.
    why should htc, Samsung, and LG, take the time and effort it used to with android, if google is there to one up at every turn.

they look to the left and here is Microsoft going above and beyond with support....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    the winner could be wp7 for the soul reason of being the only os left that is not competing in the hardware side.
    why should htc, Samsung, and LG, take the time and effort it used to with android, if google is there to one up at every turn.

they look to the left and here is Microsoft going above and beyond with support....
    Some makers are a little weary of the Nokia/MS relationship.

That would be my only concern.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast