1.    #1  
    I played with the new Tungsten T at Staples yesterday, and with the graffiti screen closed it seem awkwardly shaped. It had the familiar width, dictated of course by the screen, yet it was only 2/3 the heigth. Rather than strike me as a positive, it merely looked and felt rather awkward.

I was impressed by the speed though. My quick 'n easy speed test is to simply run the Info routine from the home pulldown menu. It takes about three seconds for my VPL to return with the memory available, with the Palm Tungsten T the return was available immediately. Kinda cool in itself, but blazing speed on a handheld may not be worth the astronomical cost when compared to the multitude of lower cost devices out there....
    i bought one and absolutely love it. now i can sell my clie t665-c (which i've never really liked) and my plat (which i will seriously miss).

so far, the TT has performed flawlessly. i'm extremely happy with it.
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    i bought one and absolutely love it. now i can sell my clie t665-c (which i've never really liked) and my plat (which i will seriously miss).

so far, the TT has performed flawlessly. i'm extremely happy with it.
    Any issues with running third party apps on Palm OS 5?
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    I played with the new Tungsten T at Staples yesterday, and with the graffiti screen closed it seem awkwardly shaped. It had the familiar width, dictated of course by the screen, yet it was only 2/3 the heigth. Rather than strike me as a positive, it merely looked and felt rather awkward.
    My experience is exactly the opposite. The new size is awesome, IMO. It's finally a device as pocketable as my Edge with a nice color screen. And it's fast.
    I was impressed by the speed though. My quick 'n easy speed test is to simply run the Info routine from the home pulldown menu. It takes about three seconds for my VPL to return with the memory available, with the Palm Tungsten T the return was available immediately. Kinda cool in itself, but blazing speed on a handheld may not be worth the astronomical cost when compared to the multitude of lower cost devices out there....
    Well, I'm still putting together a more comprehensive review, but I think bundled software accounts for the overage above what I'd consider it's base worth. Just Docs to Go is $50. I also received a bundled SD card as an Office Depot promo (which is ~$40-50 from Palm, but would be $20-30 from a third-party). Personally, I'd think dropping the bundled stuff and pricing it at $399 would be the way to go. That being said, I consider it worth what I paid for it since I'm using $100 worth of bundled stuff.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Pathdoc
    Any issues with running third party apps on Palm OS 5?
    Only one for me, but other than that one the important ones that I use worked or had upgrades available pretty quickly.

Apps I use that work:
    Cyclone (Hurricane tracking program - I'm shocked this worked)
    IPCalc+ (Wild Packets IP Subnet calculator)
    JFile5 (database)
    Pocket Quicken (my litmus test app)
    SplashPhoto (have loads of pics of my daughter on the SD card now)
    Filez (file manager)
    NewPen (Graffiti in place on the screen without opening slider)
    VFSMark (card testing program)
    LCDAnalyzer (screen testing program)
    DocsToGo

App that doesn't work:
    AvantGo - I may have to start using iSiloXC and iSilo if they don't get their act together soon.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Toby

App that doesn't work:
    AvantGo - I may have to start using iSiloXC and iSilo if they don't get their act together soon.
    The only problem with Avantgo not working is that it is the single biggest reason, by far, that I even bother to turn my PDA on. But I think its safe to assume that Avantgo will be out with an update asap.
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    The only problem with Avantgo not working is that it is the single biggest reason, by far, that I even bother to turn my PDA on. But I think its safe to assume that Avantgo will be out with an update asap.
    It should be noted that AvantGo did work for some people. The real issue is that even for the people who worked, they started replacing all of their channels with an 'incompatible device' message. Ultimately, though, if I can find the content that I had, I'll switch within a week if AvantGo doesn't step up to the plate. Now that I've got cable modem, scheduling iSiloXC to run on a regular timetable should be cake.
    Thanks for the list of apps Toby. How big of an SD card came bundled with the TT? I wish I had an Office Depot around here to look for the bundle! Maybe I'll have to drive up to the Twin Citys this weekend.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    Originally posted by Pathdoc
    Thanks for the list of apps Toby. How big of an SD card came bundled with the TT? I wish I had an Office Depot around here to look for the bundle! Maybe I'll have to drive up to the Twin Citys this weekend.
    A 16MB Palm-branded one (Panasonic makes them). I've reserved it for my backup card, and picked up a Lexar 32MB one for daily use.
    Originally posted by Toby
    It should be noted that AvantGo did work for some people. The real issue is that even for the people who worked, they started replacing all of their channels with an 'incompatible device' message. Ultimately, though, if I can find the content that I had, I'll switch within a week if AvantGo doesn't step up to the plate.
    FYI - I just ran across this at PIC .

AvantGo for OS 5
    AvantGo is currently working on a version of their software that is compatible with Palm OS 5. Current OS 5 users were surprised to find that avantgo has turned off "unsupported devices." AvantGo will send you an email when the new version is released, you must first send an email to consumer_support@avantgo.com with "Palm5 support request" in the subject.
    Originally posted by flips13
    FYI - I just ran across this at PIC .
    PIC was about a week late in posting that. I sent my email on the 4th or 5th. AvantGo has known it was an issue since the release of the OS5 devices (and probably since the release of the OS). I think they just haven't seen any motivation to get on the ball yet. If I had the URL for CNet and Infoworld's content, I'd be gone to iSilo (or I may just do without those two). Note that I'm not ultimately *****ing about a free service, since I'm talking about spending money on iSilo. If AvantGo charged a reasonable fee and actually provided prompt upgrades, I'd probably stick with them.