Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Thead
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Well today is the day. I have been thinking about switching for a while now. I have had my sprint pre- since day one, like 2 and a half years now. I have been nervous to burn my upgrade incase a new webos phone comes out on sprint. But it looks like that is never going to happen and my 2.1 upgrade has resulted in an issue with my phone waking up once the screen goes off. I LOVE WebOS but even if i was willing to leave sprint there is no cutting edge phone to go to on ANY carrier. So today after work I am going to the sprint store to cash in my upgrade. I still have my touchpad so i will still be part of the precentral community, but not having a WebOS phone is very dissapointing.

Any suggestions on what to switch to?
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    It depends on what you want. If you want the latest and greatest, maybe go with the Photon. If you want something that's a little more unique, maybe the Evo 3D. If you want a good phone but don't want to spend more than $100, maybe a Nexus S. If you can hold out a few more weeks, wait for a Galaxy S2.

In summary, if you're pretty much stuck switching to android, I would probably go to the store and find the form factor and screen size you want and pick that one. In the grand scheme of things the performance is good on all of them.
    slbailey1 and Sapient2k7 like this.
    I've messed around with my gf's Incredible S. It's a pretty neat phone, nice display, little bigger, but fits in my hand. Nice camera, decent video. mp3 player's good, browser's pretty good. I was surprised how quickly and accurately i was on the vkb, something that's also transferred over to the TouchPad. Voice texting/searching is pretty cool, if it gets it right makes for some funny things sometimes. Swipe's different, didn't do it much. Shazam cool, again if it gets it. Most of the time it will but I have stumped it more than once. Also did video call to my TouchPad with it. Not perfect on either end by any means, but I really don't have anything to gauge it with, having no cameras on our PC's.

There's really nothing wrong with that phone that I've seen or my gf for that matter. It's her first smart phone and she thought it was "too much for her" at first. Very quick learning curve for me and she picked it up quickly as well.

I haven't tried tethering to her phone, didn't think of it.

I also find myself using my Pre- way less and my TouchPad more. Pre- is a phone and MHS now and that's about it
    you could switch back to 1.4.5 thats what i did when my cygwin built 2.1 upgrade started to bork out on my pre-!

but as far as switching phones on sprint i would go for the Evo3D or Evo...my girl has an Evo and its worked well...we did have one issue where her Evo stopped receiving text messages but we just took it back to Sprint and they gave her a refurb...
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I cant wait for the Galaxy, my pre- is pretty much burnt out from the 2.1 upgrade and i cant even use it half the time. Any time i go to do anything i have to take out the battery and reboot.

I am thinking about the Photon but i am concerned because it is so big and i also hear the first motorola droids sucked, so i am a little worried about motorola's quality.
    I switched from Day 0 pre to the EVO at first it was annoying how you have to root it etc. I really missed throwing away cards and the gestures at first. But now I have gotten used to it. The multitasking is not as bad as I thought it would be. I wish I had the option to be on WebOs on sprint but the transition to Android was far less painful then I thought. The EVO is not the most up to date Android phone so there may be one out there better but for me it was the perfect phone as long as you don't mind not having a keyboard. Although I really do like Swype! I have been intrested in trying out a WP7 phone as they look very pretty. I guess we will see in a couple months when I up for a new phone.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I went with the new Photon and I am loving it so far.

I decided to make the switch after I went to get the TouchPad on launch day and walked out with a Samsung Galaxy 10.1. I used that for about 3 weeks then decided that I would try the Android phones. I am about 10 days into it and things are really coming along. I miss cards and gestures....other than that, I'm glad I switched. The Photon is a beats too, in specs and size. I wish it were a bit smaller.

Good luck
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    well I heard the galaxy s2 is the best phone in the world. I too have a pre- bit I'm so tired of the small size and how much power it lacks. Any of you like android? I was trying to root my friends evo but the z4root is not available amymore. I'm already readin on android and I think I will make the switch to android very soon. It's a whole diff beast compared to the pre 3 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by fage88 View Post
    I am thinking about the Photon but i am concerned because it is so big and i also hear the first motorola droids sucked, so i am a little worried about motorola's quality.
    Build quality-wise, most people will agree (often begrudgingly because they may have a beef with Moto for completely un-related issues) that Moto usually builds some of the best handsets from a hardware stance. Usually with the best battery life and best reception for calls and 3G/Wifi data.

Personally, Iím not huge into rooting or testing out roms cooked up by other people in their basement and the like; so my list would be: Photon, EVO 3D, Nexus S in that order if I were on Sprint (If I was into tinkering I would probably pick them in the reverse order, fwiw.)

Further, if youíve only heard things about MotoBlur, I would highly suggest playing with the Photon before making an uniformed opinion about it (based on other peopleís uninformed opinions.) Simply put, the ďBlurĒ that Moto has been putting on their most recent phones (Droid 3, Photon, etc.) is vastly more streamlined than the old versions that have garnered it a poor reception in the past.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Nexus S 4G is what i picked up. Not the latest but a darn nice phone and was $0 last weekend at BB
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    well I heard the galaxy s2 is the best phone in the world. I too have a pre- bit I'm so tired of the small size and how much power it lacks. Any of you like android? I was trying to root my friends evo but the z4root is not available amymore. I'm already readin on android and I think I will make the switch to android very soon. It's a whole diff beast compared to the pre 3 as well.
    Keep reading. The thing about Android (unlike with the Pres) is that there are a number of options that truly are different from one handset to another. Once I started looking into Android options, I found that things werenít nearly as disjointed as it is popularly claimed around here.

Iím a month into owning the Droid 3 and I love it. I can count on 2 or 3 fingers the things I wish it had over the Pres, (and from my understanding the main one, ďdelete email from notificationsĒ isnít available on WebOS 2.X anyway) but other than that itís a really good handset.

Head to Androidcentral and start learning about your options. Just be aware that the ďuberphonesĒ tend to get the most attention (*cough* GSII *cough*) but that doesnít mean it is your only choice, or even that it is one you should be concentrating on.

-Suntan
    uberphone? Are you saying the galaxy s 2 is not a good phone?
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    "uber" is good.
    Iím saying that a lot of (disproportionate even) attention is paid to the phones that check off all the latest specs.

Iíve never really seen an SGSII so I donít know how good it is. Specs-wise it is at the top of the class. Iím not a huge fan of Samsung phones myself, based on the ones Iíve seen, and Iím not a big fan of the blatant iphone shape/look.

What I was saying was that it is good to read information about the phones, but donít be too trusting in *just* what you read as a lot of attention is paid to the latest flavor of the month. AKA, review your options and see how well they actually fit with your needs.

-Suntan