Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I made the leap from Handspring to Palm (at least for now). I went at lunch and bought the Tungsten T. Will let you know what I think, as I am lustfully waiting for it to charge right now.

From what I could tell, the screen appears very crisp and the colors seem true. The sliding mechanism is pretty stable feeling--I had been concerned that I would feel like I'm going to break it with my clumsy hands. Size is definitely nice. When closed, it looks downright tiny. (Sorry, guys, size matters!!)

The stylus is nice, with a spring mechanism. I just hope it doesn't bump into items in my purse and decide to spring on out. The button/wheel thingy worked well on the demo.

I wonder about how a case will work with the sliding. A two part case, perhaps?

I still like Handspring and will go back if they put out something in the PDA area, I'm not interested in "a communicator." However, I had some good news this week and, being the nerdy gadget-freak gal that I am, I decided to reward myself with the latest and greatest. (My sister's Sony Clie never did it for me.)

These are just my first minute impressions. I'll try to be more detailed later, if anyone is interested.

Kelley
    Hey,

I want to know how it works for you...
    Cheers
    I'd like to know as well. I am also considering jumping ship for a Tungsten T. I would specifically like to know what you think of it's bluetooth abilities and how the 3rd party software you have on your Visor runs on it. I am concerned that stuff I depend upon won't work with Palm OS 5.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    I would also be very interested in your comments and opinions.
    i love mine so far. sorry, but i don't have bluetooth stuff so can't test that aspect.

so far, the only software that doesn't work on my TT is diddlebug. however, palm os5 comes with it's own diddlebug-like replacement.

i'm using the following without problem (some i downloaded latest versions):

launcher iii
    bonsai
    documents to go
    handbase 3
    mapopolis
    noah pro
    quik budget
    pocketmoney
    tomraider
    whatzup
    wordsmith
    bejeweled
    filez
    action names (4.6)

i also bought a keyboard for it. it's backwards compatible with the PPK and works perfectly for me.

the machine is extremely fast, the screen wonderfully sharp, and the form factor is great. also, this is easily the best stylus i've ever used.

the voice recorder works great (i can now ditch my sony memory stick recorder). you can get a lot done on the unit without even sliding it open.

so far, no complaints.
    Thank you for the info. I rely heavily on Diddle Bug but if there is an equivalent app installed, then I should be okay.

Which keyboard did you get, the new Stowaway XT or one of the older PPKs?
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    I thought aobut getting one. but I think I will get the sony. it is between 429.00 and 500.00 and it is a hell of a system.
    knight-toolwork: whatever floats your boat. i absolutely hated my clie 665c (wanna buy it?). mostly because sony's support of their products is dreadful, the mp3 player is illogical, and the stylus is a damn toothpick. having owned two visors, a clie, and now the palm, i would put the clie at the bottom of the list of pdas i have used. though, true, to each his own, frankly, though feature-rich, i didn't enjoy using it and as a result pulled it out a lot less than i did my visor and now my TT.

also, unless you live in america, good luck finding a stowaway for the sony. i looked for 3 months in canada and couldn't find one or find a company that had stock that would actually ship here.

pathdoc:

yes, i also rely heavily on diddlebug. pound for pound it's probably my most used app, actually.

here's details on the palm "notepad" software:

--you can name the doodles easier than in DB
    --vertically scrollable (so your note/drawing) can be about 3 times the height of diddlebug doodles. (great as some of my notes used to stretch across different screens in DB)
    -- has different colors
    -- does not have different types of brushes. it only has 3 different thicknesses of brushes and an eraser (so, no caligraphy or geometric shapes or patterns) (i only use it to take notes so don't care about that)
    -- can cut and paste the notes into word or other files after you hotsync (haven't tried it yet. manual says you can.)
    -- title bar has << and >> to go back and forth between notes so i find it easier to nav than in DB. also has a list view, of course.

also, just to be clear:

it appears that diddlebug DOES work on the tungsten (i just tried it again), however i haven't tested it thoroughly.

the reason i said it didn't work before is because i transferred it over and then just opened one of my notes and it looked like gobbledygoop. so, it appears that you can use it to create new notes but not view old ones (presumably this is because of screen res).

hope this helps!
    I have been reading a lot on it. I chose not to get the other Sonyís because the buttons sucked and they had a few other problems. I donít think there is a perfect PDA out there. I know about the coffee stirrer too. I had a fellow make me a nice wooden stylus. But for how I use the PDA I find I donít enter a lot of data. Most of the data is entered into my databases or doodlebug. I read a lot of books on it and check info out I hardly play any games and I donít plan on playing MP3ís at all. But I like the way the sonly nx60 protects the screen how big the screen is the jog dial and that it can be used with a compact flash card. (I think someone has a beta driver for it how) plus it costs less too. I work in a shop and things get abused so the Sony is well protected.
    Quick dealie: I saw the T today - what a screen! I was very impressed at the screen, and at the quality of hte fonts in OS 5. The speed scared me. No lag time at all. Instant refresh on teh Screen too.. /me wants one of them for Treo.

However i was dissapointed by the sliding mechnisim; itwas NOT what i had envisioned when i heard of it. I thought it would be a nice pnuematic? pulldown, with the ease and slickness of moving an Appl le iMac monitor...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    However i was dissapointed by the sliding mechnisim; itwas NOT what i had envisioned when i heard of it. I thought it would be a nice pnuematic? pulldown, with the ease and slickness of moving an Appl le iMac monitor...
    I too was suprised by the slide mechanism. Writers went to great lengths to try and describe the "innovation". To those of us who qualify as a-typical PDA enthusiasts, the Tungsten slide is the same as the Sharp Zaurus 5500 series.
    Did the Tungsten come with Flash Player?

I recently bought a Clie NX70v and am Loving it. It came with Flash Player and plays standard .swf files.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Did the Tungsten come with Flash Player?

I recently bought a Clie NX70v and am Loving it. It came with Flash Player and plays standard .swf files.
    No, it didn't. OTOH, I can't see that I'd have a reason to load one either.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  14.    #14  
    Sorry I haven't been able to report back yet. Am having major problems getting the conduit/sync to work. In fact, almost lost my entire calendar, which would make Kelley very, very mad...
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Sorry I haven't been able to report back yet. Am having major problems getting the conduit/sync to work. In fact, almost lost my entire calendar, which would make Kelley very, very mad...
    That bites. Did you upgrade the software and try to sync with the same username? I didn't since I didn't want any errant settings on my Edge to hose my T|T. I renamed my Edge and then exported/imported all of my datebook/memo/etc. entries into the T|T. Then I only installed the stuff in the Edge backup folder which I knew I wanted. The only resulting issue was having to re-enter my registration info for a couple programs, but with a rock-stable T|T so far, it's worth it, IMO.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  16.    #16  
    Yep, I screwed up by refusing to go with a new user name. Then my computer started balking at so many CD Roms, installing/removing, etc.

Now, dbScan says I have 527 records for DateBk5 but I can't see them. mind you, my history database is just fine...

I think it's b/c I had a font changing thing on X-Master, and PalmOS 5 doesn't allow hacks...

I am learning to be quite imaginative with my expletives.

But, the Tunsten itself is still impressing me. Can't blame user error on the device.
    i had a similar prob when i went from visor to clie. however, this time, i followed the instructions on the palm web site. they're here.

went super smooth.
  18.    #18  
    WARNING: LENGTHY

Thanks, mensa-chicken. Unfortunately, I thought I *was* following those instructions. Of course, when it says on the "READ THIS FIRST" pamphlet to do steps 1-3, one should evidently make sure to do the correctly numbered steps, as opposed to simply doing the three steps across the top of the page. Step 5 is where I thought step 3 should be.

At any rate, all is well now, after quite some cussing and fonching, but I got it done. And, I did not lose my calendar, which would have been enough to send me back to a paper Day Timer. (And to send the TT out the window.)

THOUGHTS--

Applications:
    Frankly, I don't miss AvantGo yet b/c my Hotsyncs are setting land speed records. I don't have the time to sit around trying to read Salon that I once did, so might not be that big a loss.

I am concerned about Popup Suite and had to delete ListMaker, which I had pretty much quit using anyway. (Good use of registration dollars, I know...)

Datebk5 is already accomodating the TT (God, I love that guy!) and expects to have a new update out over the weekend.

Wordsmith has a Palm5 update, which took care of some issues I was having. I haven't tried the Docs to Go, which came with the TT, as I have always been more than satisfied with WS. Of the apps on my TT now, only SimCity shows up as "uncompatible" when you run the App Check available from Palm.

Size:
    I **love** the size of the TT. When closed, I find it extremely handy, not awkward. (Mind you, I am a rather short female person, so maybe that's why I like it so much.)

Screen:
    The High Res is Superb (with a capital S). I do miss the "bright" colors of my Prism, though. The colors are somewhat muted on this screen, although readability is greatly increased due to higher resolution. The color is really fine, I just think I need to get used to it. (It looks a good deal like the Clie of my sister's.) I haven't tested it's outdoor readability yet.

Stylus:
    Excellent. The spring loaded system makes it so much less awkward when I need my stylus in haste. It doesn't seem to be rattling in there any. I did like the pointy stylus of the Edge but think that could only be done if attach the stylus on the side, which seemed kind of iffy.

Navigator button:
    Hopefully, more apps will take advantage of this. The coolest I have seen so far is on the PhotoBase app that came with it. It has thumbnails of my pics that I can go to (up, down, over) with the nav button. Datebk 5 is adding features for this soon. The round wheel part feels kinda loose to me (Toby, Mensachicken, what about y'alls?) The middle button and the four app buttons are very solid feeling.

Slide:
    I like the slide. I don't know how else they could have done it and am not familiar with the other handheld referenced by Keefer Lucas, so this may be old news. But I like it. Feels very crisp. AND the option to turn on/turn off with the slide is perfect for me.

FINALLY--speed
    This thing is freaking F-A-S-T! Afterburner, fuhget about it...

Kelley
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    [...] Frankly, I don't miss AvantGo yet b/c my Hotsyncs are setting land speed records. [...]
    Well, with my cable modem, my AvantGo syncs had become quite tolerable, but I must admit that without it, I miss the sync if I blink.
    Wordsmith has a Palm5 update, which took care of some issues I was having. I haven't tried the Docs to Go, which came with the TT, as I have always been more than satisfied with WS. [...]
    That's why I think they should just ditch the bundles and drop the cost (or offer an unbundled version, but that would probably be a logistical pain).
    Size:
    I **love** the size of the TT. When closed, I find it extremely handy, not awkward. (Mind you, I am a rather short female person, so maybe that's why I like it so much.)
    No, I'm an average-sized (5'11"ish) male person, and I think the size is sweet.
    Screen:
    The High Res is Superb (with a capital S). I do miss the "bright" colors of my Prism, though. The colors are somewhat muted on this screen, although readability is greatly increased due to higher resolution. The color is really fine, I just think I need to get used to it. (It looks a good deal like the Clie of my sister's.) I haven't tested it's outdoor readability yet. [...]
    Out of curiosity, does your brightness control go all the way up and down? A couple people have reported flaky sidelights which go out early (when the slider is roughly under the "ab" in "Enable Backlight"). This seems to be accompanied by subpar screens. You might want to check it while you're still in the return period.
    Navigator button:
    Hopefully, more apps will take advantage of this. The coolest I have seen so far is on the PhotoBase app that came with it. It has thumbnails of my pics that I can go to (up, down, over) with the nav button.
    Haven't bothered with this since I'm already a registered SplashPhoto user. Have all the pics from my daughter's website on my SD Card. Need to add the rest of my archives.
    Datebk 5 is adding features for this soon. The round wheel part feels kinda loose to me (Toby, Mensachicken, what about y'alls?) The middle button and the four app buttons are very solid feeling.
    Not here. All of mine are solid.
    Slide:
    I like the slide. I don't know how else they could have done it and am not familiar with the other handheld referenced by Keefer Lucas, so this may be old news. But I like it. Feels very crisp. AND the option to turn on/turn off with the slide is perfect for me.
    I rarely touch the slide. Newpen gives me on screen Graffiti, and the center button gives me the Launcher.
    FINALLY--speed
    This thing is freaking F-A-S-T! Afterburner, fuhget about it...
    In the words of Barry and Levon, "awww yeaah...".
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Well, with my cable modem, my AvantGo syncs had become quite tolerable
    Just had to rub that cable modem in, didn't ya? Actually, we have DSL here at the office and Avant Go was still annoyingly lengthy. And I didn't have all that many channels.

That's why I think they should just ditch the bundles and drop the cost (or offer an unbundled version, but that would probably be a logistical pain).
    Agreed. To all of that.

I think the size is sweet.
    Evidently, i need to find Newpen so as to enjoy all the more.

A couple people have reported flaky sidelights which go out early
    Hmm. No, I checked it out and the sidelights stay on until I'm all the way to the end. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on that as long as I'm in return period. Also, your round wheel has no looseness at all? The reason i'm harping on this is that the place where I bought it (unfortunately, not Office Depot) is a MPITA to get to. But this is a big enough deal that, if it's faulty, I want to return it now...

I rarely touch the slide. Newpen gives me on screen Graffiti, and the center button gives me the Launcher.
    My Launch'Em doesn't let the navigator move from tab to tab. I need to check into this...

In the words of Barry and Levon, "awww yeaah...".
    I can only nod my head in agreement...

Kelley
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast