Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Just had to rub that cable modem in, didn't ya? [...]
    Well, if BobbyMike says that I have to worship something...
    Evidently, i need to find Newpen so as to enjoy all the more.
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/newpen.shtml
    Hmm. No, I checked it out and the sidelights stay on until I'm all the way to the end. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on that as long as I'm in return period.
    Cool, but if you haven't experienced it yet, you probably won't.
    Also, your round wheel has no looseness at all? The reason i'm harping on this is that the place where I bought it (unfortunately, not Office Depot) is a MPITA to get to. But this is a big enough deal that, if it's faulty, I want to return it now...
    There's a teeny bit of play to it, but hardly enough for me to consider it loose. Maybe it's just semantical.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by Toby
    There's a teeny bit of play to it, but hardly enough for me to consider it loose. Maybe it's just semantical.
    What!!?? Toby and K. Cannon in a discussion with semantical issues!!??

Thanks for the info. I'm trying out Newpen--the more I can do and keep the unit closed, the happier I will be. Newpen seems to work sometimes, but not all the time, however. I'll keep playing.

(Day Three with no real work done. Oh well, it's been a good year!)
    [...] I'm trying out Newpen--the more I can do and keep the unit closed, the happier I will be. Newpen seems to work sometimes, but not all the time, however. I'll keep playing. [...]
    Hmm...the only trouble I've had with it so far is when apps pop up separate (small) text entry windows. You did read the docs about how to turn it on and off, right?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #24  
    You did read the docs about how to turn it on and off, right?
    Of course I read the directions first, what do you think I am? A guy!?

Okay, enough humor...I found a site different that the one you linked to, but the text was the same. My problem is this--I think the only way to get it to switch to Newpen mode when the unit is closed is the Shift Button deal. I have the rectangle, I hear the "cute" (as described in the materials) sound, but it has only let me write on the screen one time. Then it quit working, but still gives box and sound. Very odd.
    [...] Okay, enough humor...I found a site different that the one you linked to, but the text was the same. My problem is this--I think the only way to get it to switch to Newpen mode when the unit is closed is the Shift Button deal. I have the rectangle, I hear the "cute" (as described in the materials) sound, but it has only let me write on the screen one time. Then it quit working, but still gives box and sound. Very odd.
    Very, considering that I've not had the same problems. Which version do you have?
  6.    #26  
    Which version do you have?
    Non Hack Version 1.4. With continued playing, and a dedicated attitude that I'm supposed to be giving to my job, I discovered that it seems to work for me on separate pop up screens. where it won't work is (e.g.) in a new Wordsmith Memo.
  7.    #27  
    A-ha! My last post made me curious as to whether it would work with Palm's Memopad, which it does...must be a compat. probl. with Wordsmith?
    A-ha! My last post made me curious as to whether it would work with Palm's Memopad, which it does...must be a compat. probl. with Wordsmith?
    Apparently. I would have never noticed that because I don't use Wordsmith. ISTR something about Wordsmith reinventing the wheel, though in order to circumvent the 4K memo limit. Perhaps in doing this, it's circumventing something that NewPen requires. WordToGo works fine, though.
  9.    #29  
    Will it sync to Word?
    Can I assign passwords to individual documents?
    Will it sync to Word?
    Can I assign passwords to individual documents?
    It supposedly has the best PDA round-tripping, period (better than even PocketWord on the PocketPC). OTOH, it doesn't seem to support password protection at all at the moment.
  11.    #31  
    It supposedly has the best PDA round-tripping, period (better than even PocketWord on the PocketPC). OTOH, it doesn't seem to support password protection at all at the moment.
    I need the password protection more than most other features. I wonder if I can convince Blue Nomad to become Newpen complaint...

I need the password protection more than most other features. I wonder if I can convince Blue Nomad to become Newpen complaint...
    Worth a shot.
  13.    #33  
    Although for quick stuff where I would be seeking to avoid opening unit, memo pad (i'll have to redirect my button) would probably work.

To get back around to the original topic, which I hope to not beat to death, this thing rocks. My biggest turn-off about it was the price.
    . My biggest turn-off about it was the price.
    At $499 without MP3 capability, it seems way overpriced.
    Originally posted by BudPritchard

At $499 without MP3 capability, it seems way overpriced.
    My understanding based on information on PIC is that Palm will be releasing free software to allow MP3 capability in the near future. Apparently there were delays in rolling out the MP3 software from Real. Palm decided to release the Tungsten T instead of missing the first part of the holiday shopping season.
    Donate Blood!!!
    Visit here to see how: America's Blood Centers
    none of my buttons or wheel is loose.

newpen indeed does not work with wordsmith. works with docs to go though. however, i'm a little peeved that docs to go does not work well with the PPK. the Shift/Cntrl + arrow keys don't work properly, though this works in wordsmith fine.

i can't get gridlock to work with the unit, which is disappointing. when i enable it and turn on/off, the normal palm password thingy comes on instead of gridlock.

before i said that diddlebug works on it. in fact, it does not. sorry about that.
  17.    #37  
    Worth a shot.
    Here is my response from the always-incredibly-prompt Wordsmith support group:

"Hello,

Thanks for your message.

Regarding text hacks, apps and WordSmith... WordSmith may not work with many of these because of the way WS uses the Palm OS fields (we basically had to rewrite the fields to get rich text to work)... The basic Palm OS fields only support one font and since these hacks rely on those types of Palm fields some text hacks etc. won't work with WordSmith.

WordSmith memo's use the same Palm OS memoDB as the regular Palm memo pad, but any formatting in the memos in WordSmith will appear with tags (<b>bold</b> for example) if you view the memo in the Palm desktop software or in Palm's memo pad. The formatting is only for display within WordSmith's memo application. This may affect the usage of hacks or other text/word application software with WordSmith memos.

Thanks,
    Blue Nomad Support"

Not necessarily the answer I wanted, but I continue to be amazed at Blue Nomad's responsiveness. (This was rec'd only a few hours after I sent my inquiry.)

From Pathdoc My understanding based on information on PIC is that Palm will be releasing free software to allow MP3 capability in the near future.
    Excellent! Thanks for the information. BudPritchard, does this make you more likely to get one? While I would likeMP3 capability, it wasn't something that would make me choose something else.

From Mensachicken newpen indeed does not work with wordsmith. works with docs to go though.
    I loaded Docs to Go and don't care much for the interface. I might just keep Wordsmith (esp. in light of their insanely-responsive team) and re-set the Memo button to the Palm Memo, so that I can use Newpen and keep the unit closed on memos. Plus, the ability to lock documents and to opt out of syncing individual documents is a key feature of Wordsmith that DTG doesn't seem to have.

AND! (Get this) My husband (who as some of you know has heretofore pooh-pooh'ed my PDA obsession) now wants my Prism. The question is, do I sell the Prism and its accompanying gadgets (Stowaway, Minijam, Eyemodule, Memplug, Vaja and other cases) and get him something else?? Knowing him, I doubt he would take advantage of everything on a vanilla PDA, much less take the time to learn the other stuff. Hell, he might not even want to learn Graffiti...maybe I should get him a cheap(!) one with keypad?

Kelley
    Here is my response from the always-incredibly-prompt Wordsmith support group:

"Hello,

Thanks for your message.

Regarding text hacks, apps and WordSmith... WordSmith may not work with many of these because of the way WS uses the Palm OS fields (we basically had to rewrite the fields to get rich text to work)... The basic Palm OS fields only support one font and since these hacks rely on those types of Palm fields some text hacks etc. won't work with WordSmith.

WordSmith memo's use the same Palm OS memoDB as the regular Palm memo pad, but any formatting in the memos in WordSmith will appear with tags (<b>bold</b> for example) if you view the memo in the Palm desktop software or in Palm's memo pad. The formatting is only for display within WordSmith's memo application. This may affect the usage of hacks or other text/word application software with WordSmith memos.

Thanks,
    Blue Nomad Support"

Not necessarily the answer I wanted, but I continue to be amazed at Blue Nomad's responsiveness. (This was rec'd only a few hours after I sent my inquiry.) [...]
    Well, I'd hope that they didn't spend days crafting that because it comes off to me as boilerplate, and I'm not convinced they understand the question. After all, NewPen doesn't have anything to do with formatting or PalmOS fields per se. It just uses the notification manager to redirect on-screen stylus input to the Graffiti system.
  19.    #39  
    Well, I'd hope that they didn't spend days crafting that because it comes off to me as boilerplate, and I'm not convinced they understand the question. After all, NewPen doesn't have anything to do with formatting or PalmOS fields per se. It just uses the notification manager to redirect on-screen stylus input to the Graffiti system.
    Maybe, but dang it was fast boilerplate!!

Or maybe I did not word the question correctly.
    Thanks for all the info so far. Have you found a forum dedicated to the TT yet?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast