Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By eallan
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  1.    #1  
    Ive been waiting for the pre3 for months like all of you have. And if it came out last month, I would have gotten it no questions asked. But now, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is likely coming to verizon sep 8th with LTE, and I don't know what to do. I love webOS, but I know the S2 is a much more powerful phone.

Sometimes i think I would never use the features of the S2 but it would be nice to have that app selection and the LTE would future proof me. Especially since i already have LTE in my area. WebOS is perfect for my basic everyday tasks, but maybe i'm ready to enjoy more than it has to offer. Plus when I think about it, the pre3 will offer almost nothing new over my pre plus except for (god i hope) big speed improvements.

A couple concerns I have are the size of the S2, I don't really like giant phones, and no physical keyboard. I've never had a phone without a keyboard.

Anyway, it's given me something to think about. Anyone else tempted by the S2?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella72 View Post
    Ive been waiting for the pre3 for months like all of you have. And if it came out last month, I would have gotten it no questions asked. But now, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is likely coming to verizon sep 8th with LTE, and I don't know what to do. I love webOS, but I know the S2 is a much more powerful phone.

Sometimes i think I would never use the features of the S2 but it would be nice to have that app selection and the LTE would future proof me. Especially since i already have LTE in my area. WebOS is perfect for my basic everyday tasks, but maybe i'm ready to enjoy more than it has to offer. Plus when I think about it, the pre3 will offer almost nothing new over my pre plus except for (god i hope) big speed improvements.

A couple concerns I have are the size of the S2, I don't really like giant phones, and no physical keyboard. I've never had a phone without a keyboard.

Anyway, it's given me something to think about. Anyone else tempted by the S2?
    I am thinking about it as well. It has a lot of features but getting used to Android will be a bit frustrating coming from WebOS, at least for me. A lot of my friends have either the Nexus S or the Sensation and on both, while using it, I kept asking myself, where the heck is Just type..so I can just quickly search for an app or find preferences in an app to change them, where's the "task" manager to close he app or how do I switch to the app. etc. It's mainly having to get used to it.

But for me, the consideration will come down to how well the Pre3 is built, if it's responsive and if it's still buggy for WebOS 2.xx

One thing I wish for WebOS 2 and 3, is (I'm on 1.4.5 and 3.0.2), is for the browser to be better and compatible with more sites. And having it paired with my TP, would be awesome to a certain extent. Like on precentral, on my TP, the comment box doesn't show even when I'm logged in to leave a comment.

Feature wise, SG2 looks fast, responsive and has all the bells and whistles that I may not even use. So I suppose, more bang for your buck, given that it probably will be the same price as the Pre 3. I'll have to hold both in my hand before making a decision. But leaning more toward the Pre3 now since I have a TP.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I have a gs2. It is a fantastic device and hard to beat. I'd love a pre to toy around with but they're taking entirely too long.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I'm not a spec junky like a lot of people are. But the gs2 does have some nice ones. I'm more interested in how the reviews rave about how well it performs. My only problem is I'm sure the experience is at least somewhat similar to my experience with my wife's Nexus S. I posted a brief review of it here in another thread on this forum if anyone is interested. Android was more impressive than I was expecting, but I still love webos more.
    The Galaxy S II and Pre 3 are the flagship phones of HP and Samsung.

Start by comparing the operating systems: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. If you only want one OS, the specs really don't matter.

See the Phone Comparison for more on specs but here is a quick summary.

The Height & Width are similar. The Pre 3 is twice as thick and about 50% bigger overall. The Galaxy S II weighs less, adds microSD, HDMI, Bluetooth 3.0, SAMOLED+, Digital Zoom, DLNA, 1080p, 60% higher def Rear Camera, and 7x Front Camera resolution.

The Galaxy S II meets the 2009 Near Field Communication standard. USB OTG (USB Host) let's you connect a USB Flash Drive, mouse or keyboard directly to the GS2.

Last week one of our members designed a concept for the dream Pre slab. It ended up having most of the Galaxy S II specs.

But again start by comparing the operating systems.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/09/2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    See I understand that big difference between the functionality of the Pre3 vs the GS2, but just me personally, I don't really care about almost every one of those features you mentioned. Weighs less would be nice. Digital zoom and higher resolution pictures would be cool, but it's not like I take a whole lot of pictures. Again, I absolutely see the point, but I'm not going to want a phone that has even 100 more features than another phone if I wouldn't use any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    ...Again, I absolutely see the point, but I'm not going to want a phone that has even 100 more features than another phone if I wouldn't use any of them.
    There are a couple of features we might notice right away.

The reviewers talk about the speed. Galaxy S II benchmarked, makes other phones cry in shame

They also talk about the difference between an LCD and an LED display.

The Pre 3 LCD display has a backlight that is always white covered by an LCD that filters out light to give colors. A black LCD pixel takes as much power as white because the backlight is still as bright. The backlight bleeds through the crystals making black more of a dark gray.

The Galaxy S II SAMOLED+ display has LED pixels as the light source only turned on when needed giving a brighter display and longer battery life. Without the backlight layer, the LED is lighter and thinner, and black pixels are blacker.

We may also notice the greater size and weight of the Pre 3.

But again light, fast, small, and bright does not matter if we don't like how it feels. We willl have to try them out for ourselves.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/09/2011 at 10:10 AM.
    i had a pre- then bought a pre2 while they were cheap in the uk and had planned to wait for the release of the pre3 so I could use it as my contract upgrade.
    Although got tired of waiting and HP just seemed to be wasting time imo. so went and got the samsung galaxy s2.
    the phone is amazing, the speed is incredible, it weighs nothing compared to the pre2 and the thinness of it.
    however i will admit to missing webOS, i feel the benefits outweigh the cons
    Quote Originally Posted by axthereo View Post
    I am thinking about it as well. It has a lot of features but getting used to Android will be a bit frustrating coming from WebOS, at least for me. A lot of my friends have either the Nexus S or the Sensation and on both, while using it, I kept asking myself, where the heck is Just type..so I can just quickly search for an app or find preferences in an app to change them, where's the "task" manager to close he app or how do I switch to the app. etc. It's mainly having to get used to it.
    I don’t know about the Sensation or Nexus S, but on the Droid 3 (running 2.3.4) pressing the search button on the bottom brings up a google search box that can access local programs, contact list items, etc. I never really used the “just type” features on the pre+ all that much but from playing with it on the Droid 3, it offers a lot of the same things. In addition, if you slide the keyboard out, you truly can “just type” on the keyboard and it will automatically bring up the search box, so you don’t have to click the search icon prior to typing (some people find this distinction enough to claim that the WebOs version is somehow more relevant.) Further, if you wish, you can tap the mic icon and just say what you are looking for, instead of having to type it.

As for program switching, press and hold the home button and a list of apps that you have running will pop up. Then press the app you want to switch back to. As for closing apps, adjust to the reality of not manually closing apps. Just switch back to the home screen, switch back to a different program or turn the phone off if you are done with a program.

Hope this helps.

-Suntan
    milominderbinde likes this.
    I don't know if anybody else had noticed, but the galaxy s2's screen is terrible, although blacks are great, colours are grossly over saturated and whites are literally blue. Along with the awful skin on Android, I personally find it to be a rather poor phone.
    The demo unit you saw had its color temperature set too low. Someone goofed with the settings. Just change it back to the default settings.
    There may be some truth to that, but as a general rule AMOLED screens all have blue-ish tinges. The Porsche Design p'9521/2, Samsung Focus and original Galaxy S had the same issues, not a deal breaker, but less than ideal nether the less. Perhaps increasing the yellow in the colour palate may fix the issue, but not enough to even out the lackluster OS.
    you got it wrong. Go to screen settings and put it on default. Even the evos screen looks amazing. I'm also tempted with the S2. I have sprint so how is it the galaxy s2 is already out? I thought the release date was in a month?
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    you got it wrong. Go to screen settings and put it on default. Even the evos screen looks amazing. I'm also tempted with the S2. I have sprint so how is it the galaxy s2 is already out? I thought the release date was in a month?
    It's out in many other countries. I have a UK version on AT&T here.
    att is in europe too?? Wth... Lol that's new to me. So why is it that's not out yet here in America? Is it because here the phone will be better or what?
    att is in europe too?? Wth... Lol that's new to me. So why is it that's not out yet here in America? Is it because here the phone will be better or what?
    Many theories abound. Check any of the umpteen different android sites for the popular ones.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I sold my galaxy s2 and waiting for a Pre3.

I could not cope with an on screen keyboard. If I can't use a phone what good are specs?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    The Samsung Galaxy S II came out in Europe and Asia in April. Samsung sold 5 million units in the first 85 days. It has been in the Phone Comparison for some time.

Samsung has kept adding production lines but still have not caught up with initial demand.

The Samsung Galaxy S II was originally to be introduced in New York on May 24 for the US markets. Samsung just had no idea how huge the demand would be. Samsung canceled the New York event at the last minute.

Now it appears that Samsung will attempt the impossible with a simultaneous launch on multiple US carriers.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/10/2011 at 08:31 PM.
    I said I was going to wait for the GSII, but with Ice Cream Sandwich rumored to be coming out late October, i might as well just wait for that.

Yes yes, something bigger and better is always around the corner, but this could be a generational leap (like buying a 2010 car right before the 2011's come out).

i am secretly hoping that HP will announce something for sprint between then...but i doubt that will happen.

But i know that if/when i switch to Android, HP will bring something good at CES and make me regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    I said I was going to wait for the GSII, but with Ice Cream Sandwich rumored to be coming out late October, i might as well just wait for that...
    The Android 4.0 SDK is slated for October. The Nexus Prime is expected shortly after. Then it might be 4-6 months until other phones get 4.0. Google has said that phones under 18 months old are to get ICS.

There will always be another phone or OS release coming soon. Samsung has already told analyst about the Galaxy S III to be shown with the coming flood of 4.5" edge-to-edge display phones at CES 2012. The promise of edge-to-edge is a 4.5" display in a case smaller than a current 4" phone. No bezels.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/10/2011 at 09:24 PM.