Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    With all the apps going to WP7 and the promise of Mango, you wouldn't think that windows phone marketshare would have plunged by 37% but that's the situation M$ finds itself in.

Windows Phones Down 38% Since '7' Launch -- InformationWeekWindows Phones Down 38% Since '7' Launch - windows Blog
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Buyers are likely waiting on Mango...

Don't sleep on W7, they will likely be #3 or #4 in a couple years
    I figure that people are jumping ship from WM6. WP7 still has a chance imo
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    With all the apps going to WP7 and the promise of Mango, you wouldn't think that windows phone marketshare would have plunged by 37% but that's the situation M$ finds itself in.

Windows Phones Down 38% Since '7' Launch -- InformationWeekWindows Phones Down 38% Since '7' Launch - windows Blog
    Not to mention that despite the "better form factors" and "thousands" more apps, the Windows Mobile market share is falling 6-7x faster than Palm\HP with it's "lack of apps" and "cheap, crappy phones".
    I had a feeling this would happen. Windows mobile left a bad taste in people's mouths the last time. You can have all the apps in the world, it only counts if people buy them.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    It's not all gloomy though. If you look at month to month reports. Microsoft's market share has actually halted at 5.8% for June and May. No growth, no decline. I would guess this means, WP7 is growing just as fast a WM is declining or WM's decline has slowed. We will have to see what it is for July or August.
    Lots of ways to speculate how this happened. Note that this article mentions a cumulative loss, between the WP7 launch and present day. That is not terribly surprising when you consider how long WM was stagnant before WP7 was released. That created a significant gap between old and new, and probably many people decided not to wait to WP7 and abandoned WM for a new OS.

I fit in that category, abandoning my Motorola Q with WM5 for a Pixi with webOS. However, I do miss many of the features that were present in WM5 but are not in webOS, so my next phone may very well be a Windows Phone. Not guaranteed, but I definitely consider it an OS worth considering.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    WP7 isn't a smartphone OS, it's a social networking device OS. Despite the NASA-size marketing budget, it's been a failure.

Unfortunately, MS have lots more money, and will keep throwing it on the fire until it starts selling. By then, all the limitations will have been fixed, but unfortunately it will look like Frankenstein's monster...a bit like WP6!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    tied to this, interesting comments from Nokia who are betting the farm on North American in a way that they never had before - possible impact for WebOS as they could throw money at carriers and tie-up the slots that marginal players have for phone releases on the major carriers:

North America is a priority for Nokia, Weber said, in part because it is a key market for Microsoft and also because Nokia sees it as a key to winning in the smartphone battle globally.
    “We’ll develop for North America and make the phones globally available and applicable,” Weber said. “In fact, evidence of that is that the first Windows Phones that will ship are being done by our group in San Diego.”

Nokia plans its biggest-ever marketing push focused on reestablishing its presence in the U.S.
    “Without getting into numbers, it is significantly larger than anything we have done in the past and the most we will invest in any market worldwide,” Weber said. “They are putting their money where their mouth is.”
    Nokia to Exit Symbian, Low-End Phone Businesses in North America - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    WP7 isn't a smartphone OS, it's a social networking device OS. Despite the NASA-size marketing budget, it's been a failure.

Unfortunately, MS have lots more money, and will keep throwing it on the fire until it starts selling. By then, all the limitations will have been fixed, but unfortunately it will look like Frankenstein's monster...a bit like WP6!
    I've just played with my buddy's Samsung Focus with Mango build 7712. I was blown way at it. I hate to say it, because I really wanted a sprint Pre 3, winpho 7 with mango, will be my next phone on sprint. It is so much different than when I played with it earlier this year.

Sure does all the smartphone things I had on the dozen or so I've owned, including an office suite long missing on webOS. Their phones haven't even been out a year yet, little soon to label it a failure.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Sure does all the smartphone things I had on the dozen or so I've owned, including an office suite long missing on webOS. Their phones haven't even been out a year yet, little soon to label it a failure.
    You've owned a dozen or so in less than a year?? I didn't know they were that unreliable!

Or are you trying to push up the market share all by yourself?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    MS haters gonna hate.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Man, there is a lot of people hating on WP7 who obviously have not even used it before. With Mango being released shortly, all that is needed is a new batch of phones, and you'll see the market share increase drastically. Add in all the troubles manufacturers are having with Android patent issues, and you can see the road clearing for a huge uptake in Windows Phones...

Mango appears to be a REALLY nice OS, and unfortunately, HP/Palm sat around too long and all the advantages of webOS have just about disappeared. If/when Sprint gets a new WP, I'm gone... Imagine a Samsung Galaxy SII type phone running Mango? No way the Pre3 competes with that.
    You've owned a dozen or so in less than a year?? I didn't know they were that unreliable!

Or are you trying to push up the market share all by yourself?
    I've never put my history below my comments, but it started with a second hand pilot 5000 in 1998. The smartphones ran Palm, Winmo, webOS, Android, and now WP7. It took an hour with the GF's BlackBerry to realize it was crap, and I've never wanted to join Apple's Stepford commune. WP7 is very good now, and mango may take it past webOS. It feels like HP is walking in wet cement.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    MS haters gonna hate.
    Assuming that's aimed at me, it's *very* wide of the mark, considering the phone I actually use (and the way I earn my living, though that's another story).

MS do have a habit of only sorting out software at version 3 though, and it's my opinion (and the market share figures hardly contradict me!) that WP7 is another poor "version 1".
    MS do have a habit of only sorting out software at version 3 though, and it's my opinion (and the market share figures hardly contradict me!) that WP7 is another poor "version 1".
    That I can agree with, but saying that WP7 is not a smartphone OS is way off base. Its UI may be geared more towards social media, but it's certainly not the only phone to do that, and it is still quite capable of doing everything a smartphone needs to do.

Exchange support in WP7 is not as good as it was when compared with good old Windows Mobile, but it is still as good or better than any other current competitor's implementation, and the Office Suite on WP7 is also quite good.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    I'm getting Windows Phone once mango is out...i know a few other people waiting for mango as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I'm getting Windows Phone once mango is out...i know a few other people waiting for mango as well.
    Add me to that list.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast