Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    If you're looking to swipe your finger (or tap once somewhere) and get it to switch form app to app, I don't think you'll find that with android.
    Ok thanks. And that's fine. I was really just curious if I was missing a simple way to know what apps I have open and how to switch to a particular one. As jwdesselle mentioned, I didn't even know you could hold down the home button to pull up recent apps. That helped a lot.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Android also has 3rd party stuff that assists with that, like Swipepad (https://market.android.com/details?i...ipepad.android) or Wavelauncher, both of which are launched using a single gesture, allowing a user to quickly launch other apps
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Ok thanks. And that's fine. I was really just curious if I was missing a simple way to know what apps I have open and how to switch to a particular one...
    Here is the section on Cards from the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android.

Cards
    If you miss cards, try
    Perfect Task Switcher, Visual Task Switcher, Wave Launcher, Itching Thumb or launchers like LauncherPro.

They are all good. I really like Perfect Task and how it allows you to swipe cards up to close apps and back and forth to move through them.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/13/2011 at 07:12 PM.
    I recently bought a Motorola Photon, and I'm using Perfect Task Switcher. It works okay as a task switcher, but doesn't replace the cards in the Pre. In particular, it doesn't let you interact with a bunch of apps at more-or-less the same time, like reading a bit of email to someone you are on the phone with, or typing info from one app into another. You can do those things, I suppose, but it takes a LOT more button presses and it's really clunky.

I wrote a more detailed comparison in the "Later WebOS, Hello Android" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    or typing info from one app into another. You can do those things, I suppose, but it takes a LOT more button presses and it's really clunky.
    I’ve actually found it easier to cut/paste from one app to another with android. For no other reason than WebOS highlight/copy functions always seemed so finicky.

Anyway, if you really look at the actions involved, it takes pretty much the same number of flicks, taps and slides of a finger to cut/paste in Android as it does in WebOS. Similar for reading an email to someone on the phone. While talking, tap the home button then tap the email button… presto (or long press the home button and pick email from the list of running apps if you have your email icon hidden in the app folder.)

People just tend to gravitate towards what they were used to and say it’s better. The more I use android the more I am convinced that the actual usability between android and WebOS is pretty much equal. Just different. That isn’t to say that WebOS overall doesn’t have advantages, it has some small ones. Just not the ones everybody keeps harping about as untouchable (namely: card-multitasking, notifications and Just Type.)

-Suntan
    I agree that cutting & pasting works better in Android. But if you just want to look something up quickly, the Pre is much faster. You don't have to activate the card on the Pre, just look at it, since it will still show the whole page you left it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I agree that cutting & pasting works better in Android. But if you just want to look something up quickly, the Pre is much faster. You don't have to activate the card on the Pre, just look at it, since it will still show the whole page you left it on.
    Still… I mean, we’re getting into pretty fine levels of hair splitting. Of course anyone could setup a specific situation to make any system look the most efficient, but the differences we are talking about here are: WebOS- swipe up, swipe over. Android- longpress home, tap app icon.

Is that really “much” faster?

I could see that taking too long in Jason Bourne’s life, but for the rest of us, is it really a deciding factor?

Not trying to make an issue out of it. I just feel that the usability differences sit squarely in the “personal preferences” area and not in any "actual speed differences" area. At least that has been my experience in using both phones off and on (I still re-activate and use my Pre+ every so often to make use of freetether.)

-Suntan
    imo I think Android is still "clunky" its not a very smooth user experance… it is getting better.. but I think webOS and iOS are better…
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Also using a NS4G. It rocks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Also using a NS4G. It rocks!!
    It is. Just understand the 17 Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds you might need.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12