1.    #1  
    http://www.pdahandyman.com/archives/000435.html#000435

Things will get interesting later this month.
    Yup - this will change EVERYTHING in the PDA industry. Any profits that anyone had are now gone...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Pocket PCs drop in price...

Palms go up (see new Tungsten OS 5 handheld)...

Crazy world.

But it's still good to be in Accessories.
    Dan
    Originally posted by Active Armor
    Pocket PCs drop in price...
    Have they? Just because their low-end is putting more features in, I wouldn't necessarily consider that a drop in price.
    Palms go up (see new Tungsten OS 5 handheld)...
    Same here. The top of the line Palm has always been introduced at ~$500. Considering everything, I think the real-world prices ranging from $450-$500 are reasonable. Don't get bogged down with raw MHz or RAM specs when comparing apples to oranges. After all, the 400MHz XScale PocketPCs didn't perform better than 206MHz StrongARMs on quite a few tasks. After all, software matters.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Hey, AA:

Do you have any production plans for other handhelds? I'm not sure how successful you can be supporting a device, though excellent, is unfortunately not being sold by retail stores anymore.
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    yup.... new stuff is on the way.
    Dan
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Toby
    The top of the line Palm has always been introduced at ~$500. Considering everything, I think the real-world prices ranging from $450-$500 are reasonable.
    I disagree. Too expensive. The Dell prices seem to point to the fact that current Palm and PPC prices are inflated.

Then again, taking into consideration Dell's marketing and inventory expertise, they have a lot of leeway on profit margins.
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    I disagree. Too expensive.
    That's fine. That's what makes the Personal in PDA.
    The Dell prices seem to point to the fact that current Palm and PPC prices are inflated.
    Given that there is no real world information on the devices (everything so far is spec-leak, which doesn't mean much in and of itself), I think it's a bit early to say.
    Then again, taking into consideration Dell's marketing and inventory expertise, they have a lot of leeway on profit margins.
    The key is probably in their profit margins on PCs. They're not targetting Palm with their PDAs. They're targetting HP, and are willing to cut margins (and possibly corners) to the bone in pursuit of that. It'll be interesting to see if they can actually make their direct sales model translate to PDAs.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  9.    #9  
    They're not targetting Palm with their PDAs.
    Not yet. I think maybe next year if their PPC devices are successful.

Time will tell.

It'll be interesting to see if they can actually make their direct sales model translate to PDAs.
    That may turn out to be a problem. I think most people like to "kick the tires" before deciding on a product, be it a PDA, TV, or other electronic product.
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    Not yet. I think maybe next year if their PPC devices are successful.
    That's the funny thing though. It seems that the WinCE markets and PalmOS markets are fairly stable percentage-wise. The manufacturers in each only take shares within that from each other.
    Time will tell.
    Yep, after all price hasn't exactly been Dell's selling point historically. I'm curious as to how shooting for price here will play out.
    That may turn out to be a problem. I think most people like to "kick the tires" before deciding on a product, be it a PDA, TV, or other electronic product.
    Actually, I'm thinking that out of the gate, it won't be a problem for them. After all, people blindly order PCs from them. If people expect that same level of OOBE and don't get it, though, then Dell's PDA venture may be short-lived.
    I personally think that the Dell PDAs will bring Pocket PC to a more consumer grade level where before it was mostly power and buisness users. However like others I don't expect it to last long. I have a feeling Pocket PC purists will stick with Compaq/HP and Toshibas...
    <A HREF=http://www.myzaurus.com>Sharp Zaurus SL-5500</A>
    <A HREF=http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1016,00.html#>Sharp Zaurus SL-5600</A>
    That's the funny thing though. It seems that the WinCE markets and PalmOS markets are fairly stable percentage-wise.
    PalmPower Mag, Nov 2002: "For the first time, Microsoft licensees captured more than 30 percent of worldwide PDA shipments, up from 16.2 percent in the third quarter of 2001."

Cnet News, 1/24/2002: "Over the course of last year, Pocket PC makers were able to make a significant dent in Palm's handheld share because of operating hiccups at Palm," IDC analyst Weili Su said."

Same here. The top of the line Palm has always been introduced at ~$500.
    ComputerWorld, 10/7/2002: "While Pocket PC vendors push prices down, Sony Electronics headed in the other direction with last week's introduction of a $599, feature-rich handheld running Palm Inc.'s new OS5.

Lots of differing opinions out there. Now there are 3 Pocket PC releases pending, all under $300 (Dell, Toshiba, HP). The competition heats up. I'm wondering if Palm's attempt at "growing" the OS is going grow the price too.

Kupe
    Originally posted by Kupe
    PalmPower Mag, Nov 2002: "For the first time, Microsoft licensees captured more than 30 percent of worldwide PDA shipments, up from 16.2 percent in the third quarter of 2001."

Cnet News, 1/24/2002: "Over the course of last year, Pocket PC makers were able to make a significant dent in Palm's handheld share because of operating hiccups at Palm," IDC analyst Weili Su said."
    I'm not sure how short-term fluctuations really deal with what I said.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-963511.html
    ComputerWorld, 10/7/2002: "While Pocket PC vendors push prices down, Sony Electronics headed in the other direction with last week's introduction of a $599, feature-rich handheld running Palm Inc.'s new OS5.
    This has _nothing_ to do with what I said. I didn't say PalmOS device. I said Palm. Sony's top of the line seems to like that $600 range.
    Lots of differing opinions out there.
    No doubt.
    Now there are 3 Pocket PC releases pending, all under $300 (Dell, Toshiba, HP).
    Yep, and I'm sure pending PocketPC releases at $600-800. So? Low-end PocketPC 2002 stuff is commoditized by now.
    The competition heats up. I'm wondering if Palm's attempt at "growing" the OS is going grow the price too.
    I doubt it. It hasn't yet, so unless other vendors inclined to do that enter the picture, prices will likely either go down, or more likely hardware capabilities within each price range will go up.
    Notice that most brand-name manufacturers stay with PocketPC devices while the only brand-name company sticking with Palm OS devices is Sony? The other exception is Acer, but I've had really bad experience with their stupid level of quality control on most of whatever with the Acer brand name on it. Also, Acer seemed to be the only one that makes for both Palm and PPC platforms, funnily enough.

Is this a Microsoft strategy, getting all brand names towards PPC?

Palm OS has started losing. Big time. Where I'm living more and more people are talking about PPC PDAs and most haven't even heard of the newer Palm devices, with the exception of Sony's, but then they didn't think the Sony devices run Palm...

In getting the attention of people who've never used PDAs before, PocketPC seems to be the buzzword.

----------

Originally posted by Kupe

Lots of differing opinions out there. Now there are 3 Pocket PC releases pending, all under $300 (Dell, Toshiba, HP). The competition heats up. I'm wondering if Palm's attempt at "growing" the OS is going grow the price too.

Kupe
    I'm just a dreamer..
    Originally posted by Digisane
    Notice that most brand-name manufacturers stay with PocketPC devices while the only brand-name company sticking with Palm OS devices is Sony? [...]
    I don't think that's exactly an accurate categorization. Why? Sony is the only one who was given that opportunity (due to some bone-headed decisions at Palm's corporate levels). Toshiba wanted it, but was denied. The only significant one who has 'stuck with PocketPC' is HP. Everyone else is relatively new.
    The other exception is Acer, but I've had really bad experience with their stupid level of quality control on most of whatever with the Acer brand name on it. Also, Acer seemed to be the only one that makes for both Palm and PPC platforms, funnily enough.
    Palm was looking for an Asian OEM, no doubt, to try and make gains in the East.
    Is this a Microsoft strategy, getting all brand names towards PPC?
    I think it's probably more a bonehead Palm strategy that drove them to MS.
    Palm OS has started losing.
    Funnily enough, I think the opposite. I think Palm has been losing for a while, and is beginning to make a comeback. I'm curious as to who the new licensee is to be announced at Comdex.
    Big time. Where I'm living more and more people are talking about PPC PDAs and most haven't even heard of the newer Palm devices, with the exception of Sony's, but then they didn't think the Sony devices run Palm...

In getting the attention of people who've never used PDAs before, PocketPC seems to be the buzzword.
    I'm not sure if that's indicative of anything more than regional retail presence, since the opposite is true here.
    I also started to notice the shift towards Microsoft devices. Where I am though most people where I am always think that the Sony CLIE is the best one out there. I took out my Zaurus one day, they asked how much it costed. After I said it, I was asked why I didn't get a CLIE for that price. I had a hard time holding in my laughter. I'm starting to wonder as Sharp continues to penetrate the PDA market, will it take Palms place as cheif competitor to Microsoft, or will it stay in a niche market?
    <A HREF=http://www.myzaurus.com>Sharp Zaurus SL-5500</A>
    <A HREF=http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1016,00.html#>Sharp Zaurus SL-5600</A>
    I don't think that's exactly an accurate categorization. Why? Sony is the only one who was given that opportunity (due to some bone-headed decisions at Palm's corporate levels). Toshiba wanted it, but was denied. The only significant one who has 'stuck with PocketPC' is HP. Everyone else is relatively new.
    Thanks for clearing that up. All fingers point towards Palm then as the culprit.

Funnily enough, I think the opposite. I think Palm has been losing for a while, and is beginning to make a comeback. I'm curious as to who the new licensee is to be announced at Comdex.I'm not sure if that's indicative of anything more than regional retail presence, since the opposite is true here.
    I'm not really sure about that. When i took out my Visor anyone who noticed asked me, hey how much did you get for that POCKETPC. I said, I got it for a great deal and it's a PALM. Then they'll either mention something along the lines of:

i) POCKETPC, PALM, what's the difference? (I suppose that this is true, there isn't much difference in that they're both mobile pocket computers)

ii) What's Palm?

iii) Yeah, ahuh great. Hey, I saw this POCKETPC on Tech TV the other day...

People with a bit more technical knowledge:

iv) Isn't POCKETPC more like Windows user interface? I'm used to Windows interface, it think it's easier to use.

There you go. I don't know how to define "simpler to use". Some people see the Palm interface and don't know how to use it. The same person would look at a Pocket PC and immediately feel right at home with the highly awkward start menu button.
    I'm just a dreamer..