Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By FenrirWolf
  • 1 Post By KJBlauw
  • 3 Post By Degoluce
  • 1 Post By Jonesey
  1.    #1  
    I'm seeing the writing on the wall for webos on sprint. Please talk me back for when the new motorola or blackberry comes out on sprint I got to go done all the fun patches and upgrade to the new webos with no support from hp (palm) or sprint. I love my phone but can only last so much longer and my wife has a droid phone and kills me with all the apps and support they have for that os. This sucks real bad pleas talk me back someone please

disheartened pre- 2.0 user on sprint the see you later webos network
    I don't really see the point in convincing you to stay where you don't want to be.

I say make the jump and see what happens. If your concerns were purely hardware based I'd suggest making a FrankenPre 2, but if the software/app situation has you down, you should go where the apps are.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    You need to move on.
    Either get a Pre2 and Sprintify it (webosworld.com will do it for a fee) or get a new device on Sprint.
    A lot of the action now (apps) is happening on the TouchPad, if the OTA expected this week goes well, more apps will come and some action might trickle down to the phones, which seem to be in a holding pattern in the US, while the TouchPad launches.

Good luck. We'll be here when you come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuggy1 View Post
    I'm seeing the writing on the wall for webos on sprint. Please talk me back for when the new motorola or blackberry comes out on sprint I got to go done all the fun patches and upgrade to the new webos with no support from hp (palm) or sprint. I love my phone but can only last so much longer and my wife has a droid phone and kills me with all the apps and support they have for that os. This sucks real bad pleas talk me back someone please

Do what makes the most sense. I feel the same way, Webos is great, but when half of the apps I use, the devs have abandoned the platform. With no upgrade path for sprint, why cling onto my pre? Webos is great, but without apps, the pre is nothing but a feature phone. Now the msging app starting to act wonky as well as the data connection (it's not sprint when the other half has sprint and data is working fine).

If you're not having any problems with your pre- keep it until it dies or get something else and use the pre as a back up phone.
    In my opinion:
    Get a Pre2 and Sprint it.
    Get an HTC Arrive
    Switch networks(Verizon)
    I was on a frankenpre+ with webOS 2.1 and made the switch to the Evo 3d. I would have brought the evo back already if I hadnt bought too much worth of accessories that I couldn't take back anymore. The apps are nice, but but I just dont enjoy using my phone anymore.

If you want to try something new then definitely go for it. You can always return it, just dont buy a bunch of stuff for it until you know you want to keep it.
    ljbad4life likes this.
    HTC Arrive with Mango seems like a pretty viable alternative...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I, like KJBlauw, had a pre then an android device (Droid Incredible). Last week my droid broke and I re-activated my Pre+ because I didn't have insurance. When I first got my droid I loved it (probably just because it was a change), but now that I'm back on my Pre+ I know I'm going to stick with webOS for as long as I can. True there are less apps, true the navigation sucks, but it's so much more enjoyable to use! Especially 2.1 which I metadoctored to the other day.

In retrospect I believe I HAD to leave webOS to really appreciate it, and you might be the same way, but I think you should consider the following:

- save up money for the next webOS phone and the possible ETF you might have to pay for switching networks (if that's possible for you).

- until then, do what it takes to get the most out of your phone. Turn it into a pre+, use meta-doctor to install webOS 2.1, and update to uberkernel. I believe it's worth it.
    KJBlauw, jbuggy1 and VCI_Cell like this.
    I don't find your story too surprising. I've seen a number of people who ran off to android then trickled back over to webOS. But like you said it's something you had to eexperience yourself and not just based on anecdotal stories from internet forums.
    These are just phones... and you will never have the same one for more than a couple of years. Get a new phone... and if you don't want to wait, you can always come back to webOS if you see something you like next time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuggy1 View Post

If you go Android get a Nexus phone. Guaranteed updates, fastest performance, no bloat, simple root, etc... If you get a non Nexus phone your best bet is to get the 3D, Shift, or wait for the kingdom. HTC by far gets the best developer support (ROMS and whatnot), and HTC is usually good with updates if you don't want to root.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the replies. I’m just getting mad about hp and sprint not kissy kissy and not bringing anything to us sprint folk. I will be getting a touchpad and see if that will help me get over my dilemma I’m facing. It’s about more than a just a phone especially now a days because they do so much more than just calling people. Crazy huh that is why I’m so torn because it's not just the hardware but how u can change it to fit you. That’s why I love my pre- because I made it to fit me. If I can find another Os that I can do that with plus with support I’m in

and ps why was this put in old palm devices is that what the pre- is
    Last edited by jbuggy1; 07/27/2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Android has a lot of the customizability that you like in webOS too, just so you know.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I also had a tough time finally leaving my Pre and going with Android...after a week you realize that it is just a phone and a new gadget to play with.

When/if another Pre comes to Sprint just switch back...it is not that serious...

I miss webOs but I am not losing any sleep over it...
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    For me the switch was made much easier after I got my TouchPad. On the phone end, I was also just forced to either wait out a new WebOS phone ever hitting Sprint or just bite the bullet and upgrade to something else. Ultimately I went with the Evo 4G, mostly because I knew the phone had been out a while and was solid. As I said, the TouchPad helped because now I have the great WebOS experience on a pretty nice tablet but still get access to a great open ecosystem with Android. I still have moments where I go to toss a card on my phone, but overall I'm happy with the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Android has a lot of the customizability that you like in webOS too, just so you know.
    Only really if you root it and install a custom ROM like Cyagonen. My friend has 2.2 and it's not THAT customizable... but then again maybe I'm a little blinded by the homebrew customizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I was like you and wanted to keep my Palm Pre for as long as I could. But, I made a decision. I have a cell phone because I need a phone, and also need a couple of the apps to keep myself organized, email, calendar...etc. So, do I keep a phone with no support, broken hardware, just because it's fun to mess around with, or do I get a new phone because I really need one.

I opted to stay with Sprint because I really like them. I got a Nexus S 3G and really love it. It is so much more clean and crisp and snappy than my Pre ever wanted to be. I do miss the multi-tasking and messing around with operating system on my Pre, but it really doesn't compare to my new phone.

One day, if a new webOS phone ever comes out, if it can come out and be at the top of the spec list, I may even switch carriers to get it. But, it would have to really be snappy in order to take me away from Sprint. I've been with Sprint for almost 15 years and had my Palm Pre for only 2. Just made sense to me.

Oh, and the Nexus S 3G does do multi-tasking, but just not as wonderful as the Pre.
    Last edited by jwdesselle; 07/28/2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: additions
    Realizing that leaving webOS for Android is like falling down, that's classic.

watch out for the messy landing :-)
    KJBlauw likes this.