Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just saw a vid for droid 3. It's amazing how blackberry and now android copy the card function. I wonder why HP doesn't sue them like Apple does. In any case, the droid 3 and the droid charge (verizon) both include micro SD expansion, mini HDMI and 8 megapixel cameras with 1080p video capture and a front facing camera all for $200 on 2yr contact or $450 off contract. How is it that motorola, samsung and HTC can make phones with those same external features but HP can't. IMO the pre 3 is leftover from the Palm group's original design. Palm seems to be always behind when it comes to specs. I remember it took them forever to get rid of that huge antenna on the treo phones.
    Have you used a Pre 2? It's the best of the generation. Right now. I can do more things than my friends in 1/10th the time. My friend was looking for his friends number yesterday on his (/amazing) Droid 2, and he spent like 4 minutes trying to find it. In the meantime I've already done all my tasks, and I had like 30 cards open. All I have to do to find a friend is type his name and recite the number.

I had half his number dialed waiting for him and the phone app wasn't even open.

He asked if i was ready, then gave me the last four digits all I had to do was raise the phone to my ear and it was ringing.

Pre 2 is a leader of this generation. Pre 3 will be the best phone on the market when it comes out.

Stop spreading misinformation. This isn't 2000, we're not talking about 100mhz processors anymore. 1ghz this is not 1ghz that, there's so many other factors that make a phone 'current gen' or 'last gen' that your argument is invalid.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

carman16 and JayhawkOne like this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Do last generation smartphones have a 1.4ghz cpu?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    JayhawkOne, cobrakon and Vij like this.
    While I don't agree that the Pre 3 is a generation behind, I don't believe there is anyway for them to charge more than 99.99 for a new 2 year contract with what it offers. Not when people can get a dual-core, 1080p video capturing, 4.3" HD display for 200.
    I dream of World Wide webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilover View Post
    While I don't agree that the Pre 3 is a generation behind, I don't believe there is anyway for them to charge more than 99.99 for a new 2 year contract with what it offers. Not when people can get a dual-core, 1080p video capturing, 4.3" HD display for 200.
    That's implying that dual core is better than single core in cell phone (when it's not, not when comparing 1.4ghz SC ==> 1.0ghz DC)

also it's implying that WebOS is not of any value itself

which it is
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Cantaffordit and RoverNole like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    That's implying that dual core is better than single core in cell phone (when it's not, not when comparing 1.4ghz SC ==> 1.0ghz DC)

also it's implying that WebOS is not of any value itself

which it is
    I understand that, you understand that. Does the Average Joe that walks into a Best Buy Mobile understand that? I don't think so. Don't take this the wrong way, I want the Pre 3 to be a huge success. Sometimes its best to lose a little bit of money to get a bigger share of the market and then come out full forced with higher priced super phones.
    I understand that, you understand that. Does the Average Joe that walks into a Best Buy Mobile understand that? I don't think so. Don't take this the wrong way, I want the Pre 3 to be a huge success. Sometimes its best to lose a little bit of money to get a bigger share of the market and then come out full forced with higher priced super phones.
    Yes, I do think that the Average Joe who walks into Best Buy Mobile will understand that.

If I don't have faith in the Average Joe I have failed already.

<thread moved>
    Yes, I do think that the Average Joe who walks into Best Buy Mobile will understand that.

If I don't have faith in the Average Joe I have failed already.
    At the risk of sounding like a troll (of which I am not) did that work for the previous Pre's? or the Veer? Maybe the Veer doesn't fit the argument because it's not meant to take on the Droid 3's and iPhone 4's of the world but the original Pre was meant to take the iPhone head on. Nowadays the smartphone market is more crowded than ever, with more choices than ever.

Both the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 COST their respective companies money each time one was sold in the beginning. They made up for it in sales of the games and peripherals. I am not advocating HP to give away phones but I certainly know people who want a good smartphone that don't want to spend $200. Price could be a selling point for the Pre 3.

Slap Android on the pre 3. Would you take that device over a Droid X2 or Droid 3 for the same price?
    Yes, I would. Because 1.4ghz single core is awesome

and i want a portrait slider

did you read my post?

No, because the OS is the primary feature for the phone.
    At the risk of sounding like a troll (of which I am not) did that work for the previous Pre's? or the Veer? Maybe the Veer doesn't fit the argument because it's not meant to take on the Droid 3's and iPhone 4's of the world but the original Pre was meant to take the iPhone head on. Nowadays the smartphone market is more crowded than ever, with more choices than ever.

Both the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 COST their respective companies money each time one was sold in the beginning. They made up for it in sales of the games and peripherals. I am not advocating HP to give away phones but I certainly know people who want a good smartphone that don't want to spend $200. Price could be a selling point for the Pre 3.

Slap Android on the pre 3. Would you take that device over a Droid X2 or Droid 3 for the same price?
    yes, I would. I played with one on feb 9th. by far the best feel in my hand, best slider, best keyboard. Great hardware wrapped around a great experience of webOS.

not much else for you to crab about... It's not behind anybody.
    <thread cleaned>
    Yes, I would. Because 1.4ghz dual core is awesome

and i want a portrait slider

did you read my post?
    But its not a dual core, unless they've updated it. If they have then voila, we've got a super phone.

And i love the portrait keyboard as much as the next Pre fan but not everyone will. They may like it a little more if its cheaper however. Thats the problem I have with the lack of a candy bar style webOS phone. Dewi has mentioned multiple times about having a device thats built for "you." Well if that is the case then their devices should come in all shapes and sizes to satisfy a wide range of consumers. Maybe they are coming, only time will tell.

I guess I'm just thinking in terms of getting a webOS device into the hands of as many people as possible and why they would chose that aside from the OS itself because for every die hard webOS, Android, and iOS fan, theres the Average Joe who just wants to show off by buying either what they believe is the best phone available at the time or what fits them and offers the most for their budget.
    It needs 4G or at least pseudo 4G(you know, the 3.5 the carriers want to fool people into thinking is 4G), or it will be a bit yesterday. If it at least has that, it has a chance. Veer has it, but it's size cannot compete with the big boys people are buying.

It would be nice to have HDMI out though. And 1080p video capture is sweet too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Cantaffordit, you have my condolences, it's a tough job to clean up what these threads ALWAYS lead up to: a pointless debate then a cleanup on aisle 3.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    thanks. We will be deleting more and closing them sooner if things continue like they did over the weekend. Spread the word!
    sledge007 and fxspec06 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Cantaffordit, you have my condolences, it's a tough job to clean up what these threads ALWAYS lead up to: a pointless debate then a cleanup on aisle 3.
    Debates can be fun and informative. Its when they turn into arguments that they need to be swept under a rug lol. I hope I walked on the right side of that line with my posts in this thread.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    sadly, I would love the pre3, but the lack of a release date, the questionable support of its OS version (2.x something with release, ? Upgrade potential) and the enigma of what kind of apps it will support- these are way too many questions to charge a premium price for the device. I have no sense of HP's direction and much reason to doubt app developer support for webOS smartphones as HP is very tablet orientated at this point and we have heard NOTHING about the pre3 from HP in a long while. Will devs be making apps for the pre3? Kindle was just released on the TP- no mention of pre3 or pre2 or veer support. Granted, the kindle is more worthwhile on the TP size, but point is HP is doing a lot of talk and some action on their tablet but nothing about their smartphones. Nothing.at.all.

for smartphones, the road looks very dim for atleast one more year.

sad. My pre plus is now a feature phone- stale OS (2.1), no new apps, and no upgrade path.
    <thread cleaned again>
    <last time>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast