1.    #1  
    I thought this was interesting considering Android is a direct WebOS competitor. This might shift things in favor of WebOS.

Apple deals massive patent blow to HTC, Android in serious trouble

Apple deals massive patent blow to HTC, Android in serious trouble | ZDNet

Short version: HTC is in trouble do to Patent infringements with Apple. (Same ones that Apple is trying to slam Motorola and Nokia for) Either HTC will have to make a deal with Apple or possibly stop US imports. I can only assume that the same verdict will eventually happen to Nokia and Motorola. It looks like most Android devices have the same problem. Will this hurt Android in General? I can only hope that WebOs isn't doing the same thing....
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    The issue is Android is open source. That means there is not cost or licensing fees. The down side is the manufacturer is then taking 100% ownership of any infringing tech within the OS. WP7, on the other hand, releases the manufacturers of any responsibility of possible patent infringement in the OS. Microsoft has a number of cross-licensing agreements with Apple that I don't think the WP7 side of the house should be worried.

I would suspect the same is true with HP and Apple. While Apple is innovative on the design aspect of things, HP is innovative on the hardware side of things. HP has invented new tech (memristors) that is expected to start rolling out in a few years. My guess (and that's all this is) is HP and Apple have a cross-licensing agreement that means they can use each other's tech without cost.

However, when all things are said and done, Palm basically invented the handheld market and HP played around in the handheld market for years. Apple could get into more trouble suing HP than any other manufacturer. HP could potentially get some of Apple's patents thrown out because of their similarity to existing Palm ones. I don't think Apple will risk it.

Edit: I will say this is why I scoff at Google's "Do no evil" mantra. Google gets to create and OS and receive all of the benefits (aka customer private data) but makes the manufacturers take the heat for using it. Can't sue Google because they aren't "making money" from Android despite the fact their business would suffer if Android were to fold.
    Last edited by bobsentell; 07/18/2011 at 07:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Are patents going to become tech-users' pet hate for the 2010's, like DRM used to be, with companies vying to remove functionality from their competitor's products, after they are in users' hands? I can't see this ending well for the industry as a whole.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Big companies are now becoming patent trolls to shut down successful competition, plain and simple. You can now use patent suits to stop others from expanding on ideas and shut down true innovation. None of these companies are fooling anyone. Suing only after expansion of ideas becomes big tells it all! If they were that concerned, they'd have sued or tried to demand license fees before anything got to market to begin with!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Big companies are now becoming patent trolls to shut down successful competition, plain and simple. You can now use patent suits to stop others from expanding on ideas and shut down true innovation. None of these companies are fooling anyone. Suing only after expansion of ideas becomes big tells it all! If they were that concerned, they'd have sued or tried to demand license fees before anything got to market to begin with!
    +1 speaking the truth!!!