Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    This post is very informative. I hadn't thought about it too much before, but most of Google's new offerings are meant to undermine existing offerings, either by giving it away for free (Android), or removing ads (Google+, compared with Facebook).

It also discusses how companies are reacting. Not only is M$ making an attractive OS, it is also trying to make Android expensive for companies as it collects more and more patent fees.

The important thing is that it's not the established giants that are most threatened by Google, it's the little guy. In mobile, it's not iOS in danger, it's the much smaller RIM, webOS, and Windows Mobile/Phone which are vulnerable to Google's business practices.

On the other hand, the FTC isn't exactly buying Google's argument that because it provides useful services for free then it is immune to antitrust laws.

Definitely worth a read:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/18/google_habit/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    google is like the walmart of the digital world, in terms of scope and leverage
    65fastback likes this.
    Sorry I can't take an article seriously with a headline declaring that Google is a "one-trick pony." That's either bias, or one seriously misinformed writer.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    gmlongo likes this.
    why not. Googles one trick is ads. Thats where it makes 99% of it's money.

it's not saying it doesn't have lots of very good services
    so if someone finds a way to undermine it's core business, like facebook is doing . What will happen to Google? That's why it's built google plus. It's a defensive move.

that's what they mean by 'one trick'. Fundamentally it only has one business.
    Google Apps for Business is huge. Nothing to do with ad sales. That alone makes it far more than a one-trick pony.

But then there's also Google Earth, Google Desktop, Google Voice, Google Checkout... One-trick pony, my *** (pun intended).

<<staff edit>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/18/2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: language
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Google Apps for Business is huge. Nothing to do with ad sales. That alone makes it far more than a one-trick pony.

But then there's also Google Earth, Google Desktop, Google Voice, Google Checkout... One-trick pony, my *** (pun intended).
    The ever accurate Wikipedia claims that "Ninety-nine percent of Google's revenue is derived from its advertising programs". OK, so that was from 2008, but I suspect that Google do think of advertising as very much their core business, at least for now. "One-trick pony" is perhaps somewhat pejorative, but in financial terms, fairly accurate perhaps? Google may be working on lots of new tricks, but at the moment, there's only one that's pulling in the serious giga-dollars.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    In financial terms, perhaps. But just because I only work one job that pays me a decent amount money, that does not mean it's the only thing I am capable of doing well. How about you?

Google Apps is showing steady growth. I predict it will become a serious mover in the cloud-computing market in a few years, as well as a serious money-maker for Google.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Sorry I can't take an article seriously with a headline declaring that Google is a "one-trick pony." That's either bias, or one seriously misinformed writer.
    I think you're looking too far into it. Googles "trick" is ads. It always has been. Now the are offering ad free experiences. Its a departure
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    Um, can you please explain how Google's one-trick pony regarding ads has made them a formidable force to be reckoned with in the mobile OS arena?

Please?
    I would like to hear this.
    How much money has Google made from Android? Nothing, indeed, they've heavily subsidised it.

Why? Advertising income....

(This is so self evident I can only assume we are having a semantic argument TBH)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    Um, can you please explain how Google's one-trick pony regarding ads has made them a formidable force to be reckoned with in the mobile OS arena?

Please?
    I would like to hear this.
    Um... last time I checked, google didn't sell mobile devices. They've made other companies (HTC, motorola, samsung, lg etc) into more formidable forces in the mobile area, while increasing traffic to their numerous ad-based services.
    A few of the things Google does:

Touchscreens are a fad.
    A few of the things Google does:

However, not one of those services listed is a money maker for Google; the only common thing amongst those services that makes money for Google is advertisements.

At least to my knowledge.
    Again with the money making... Since when does something have to make money for it to count? If ads are tied into most of those services, you at least have to give Google credit for finding the most possible ways to "skin a cat," as it were. Either way, "one-trick-pony" simply does not apply.

And while it does not make as much money as ad revenue, Google Checkout does make money for Google. Of course Google is really, really successful with the ad business, so comparing revenue from any other stream is going to seem like a pittance in comparison, but that does not mean it's unsuccessful. And there's still Google Apps, too.

Calling Google a one-trick-pony is like saying all this does is cut stuff:

Touchscreens are a fad.
    Most of these product segments generate income through ads. The goal is to offer enough content to get consumers to use them. It is like merchants who send you free catalogs for their various brands.

Of the 60 or so product areas, which one is Google's one trick?
    It's comical how many people think Google is more than a "one-trick pony", so they list all the services Google offers. Everything Google does is simply to collect as much personal data from everyone on this planet so that they can sell that data to marketers for very targeted advertising. That is their one trick, which they divert your attention from by saying, "oooh look at this shinny new service/app over here, you know you want to use this". And the masses flock to the shinny new service/app while they're being raped of all their personal information.

-Skippy
    And as long as they remain free to the end-user, because they are supported by ad revenue, people will be happy to continue using them. What kind of hell would be raised if Google actually tried to charge people directly to use their services?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Again with the money making... Since when does something have to make money for it to count? If ads are tied into most of those services, you at least have to give Google credit for finding the most possible ways to "skin a cat," as it were. Either way, "one-trick-pony" simply does not apply.

And while it does not make as much money as ad revenue, Google Checkout does make money for Google. Of course Google is really, really successful with the ad business, so comparing revenue from any other stream is going to seem like a pittance in comparison, but that does not mean it's unsuccessful. And there's still Google Apps, too.

Calling Google a one-trick-pony is like saying all this does is cut stuff:

once again, you're looking way to far into the comment. No one truly believes google doesnt have valuable products and services, he's just highlighting the fact that the adoption of these services has always been based on them being free, add based services.

I under stand that the term "one trick pony" generally has a negative connotation, but its pretty clear the writer was referring to the predictability of their business models

and the reason people are bring up 'money' is because the article was largely about googles ability to respond to disruptions in their current business model. If their competitors could limit googles ability to offer free ad supported services (as is whats happening with android lawsuits), or are offering free ad supported services of their own (facebook, twitter), they'll need a new trick. In this case, the new trick is free, non-ad-supported services.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 07/20/2011 at 07:13 PM.
    I get what you're saying, but my objection still stands. The use of inflammatory headlines to catch people's attention is a tool straight out of the Fox News toolbox, and I will not support a media outlet that uses such tactics. Calling Google a one-trick-pony was done to incite a response (as it obviously has) and hopefully get people to say to themselves, "what the hell?" and read the article. When saddled with enough qualifiers, sure, almost any statement can be true. But is Google really a one-trick-pony? Yeah, and a Swiss Army knife just cuts stuff.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Google gets most of their money from ads and they have developed a mobile platform that has a ton of ads hosted on free apps.

What happens to free when it does not help Google in their goals? Does anyone recall Goog411? Where is it now? It was used to develop good speech recognition which found it's way into Android which feeds the mobile ads to the masses which puts money in Google's pockets - but Goog411 is gone, kaput, no more.

If ad revenue were to dry up or if ads moved to a new delivery model that Google didn't have some way to get a slice of - they would be hurting and their entire business model would be in doubt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast