Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcbo89
  1.    #1  
    WebOS has an OS.

Think about it does iOS actually do anything except display your apps in a grid? iOS is purely the link between the hardware and the applications.

WebOS on the other hand manages your running applications, has synergy, a file system, allows apps to talk to each other as well as webos itself. Hell iOS even needs an app for basic settings like wifi, WebOS has that in the top bar (and if you need more advanced features then and only then do you go into a settings app). I do stuff in WebOS, you dont touch iOS you touch an app.

And this is why WebOS is awesome.

Am I completely wrong here does Apple's iOS do more than I think it does, but just putting OS behind the i does not give them a full fledged OS.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    You're completely in the wrong in that you're confusing a UI with low level functions. iOS also manages processes, has a file system, provides interprocess communication functionality, etc.

I don't disagree with you, though. iOS tries to abstract as much of that from the user as possible whereas webOS makes it much more accessible.
    flame posts arriving in 3... 2...
    I'm not a programmer, so here goes a shot in the dark...

My good friend, who is a dev, says iOS does not use a file system. Hence, no attaching email messages. MacOX does u.se one, but Apple is still working on a zero-file system project, looking to get away from the structure of current OS which is, technologically, an old idea.

Don't ask me to explain any of that :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Um, as a Forum Moderator, is it not your job to prevent that? If you feel this post is only going to open a can of worms, you should lock it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post

My good friend, who is a dev, says iOS does not use a file system. Hence, no attaching email messages. MacOX does u.se one, but Apple is still working on a zero-file system project, looking to get away from the structure of current OS which is, technologically, an old idea.

iOS does use a file system -- HFS+. Apps just don't have access to anything outside of their own sandboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post

Yeah, "Apple's idea" is as old as the world.

The concept is leaving behind the file structure concept (with folders, files, and so on), and instead of that each app having access to all the data it can manage.

But they've managed to get an stupid mixed concept that doesn't serve well to none of both models. iOS has a filesystem, but locked down on a way that only the app that have downloaded/created the file can have access to it.

The only working example I've seen is the old PalmOS way of doing things: all the "files" were stored at the same level, and every app capable of handling those files was able to view and use them.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Too slow. One snuck in...
    Longtime webOS fan and Precentral reader who finally decided to join in in the forums here.

I have an iPhone and the only thing holding me back from switching back to webOS when the pre 3 comes out (used to have a pre plus) is the sheer number and quality of apps that iOS offers. Thats it. From a UI and UX standpoint, iOS is the most boring OS on the market.

Ordered my 32GB touchpad and case from Amazon today (had to wait a few paydays to save up). With HP backing webOS, I hope that they can persuade the major app developers to port their apps to webOS and then I can fully ditch my iPhone once and for all.
    Webos has more flexibility but iOS does allow some interactions between applications

Highlight a shipping tracing number and open Deliveries, it sees the trackig number in the clipboard, knows the company and allows you to make a name for the item being shipped.

Music apps can read iPod library and use music, like iDjay

You can install an alternate contact manager like Groups and read/write the contact info from the built in app.

Documents attachments can be opened in several applications. I opened an email attachment in the email app. I can read it in the email app, however I also get the choice to open it in any app that can accept it and save it in that app.

More Menu Images

Same things with third party photo apps, I can open photo/videos and edit them from the built in photo library app.

There are other examples, just can't remember them all.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/17/2011 at 06:09 PM.
    <moved>
    iOS runs a mobile optimized version of Darwin. Darwin is a system forked from BSD Unix. Just like WebOS runs linux, iOS runs darwin. It's a great system. The frameworks are amazing, Objective-C is awesome, and it's all descendant of the NextStep OS which was one of the best os'es of its time but it just never caught on. Everything you can't see in iOS is awesome, and it all comes from MacOS the best damn desktop OS ever created.

I've been using Macs for 25 years. I hate iOS, I hate Apples entire ecosystem because it's run like **** germany. I will never contribute to it. I will never spend my own money on anything in iTunes weither it's an app or a song. I do this solely because I despise Apples business ethics in the mobile space. But sometimes I have to build iOS apps at work and I makes me cry.

I've said it before, iOS for work, WebOS for play. If we all work together, we can help make WebOS something amazing. If we did that for iOS, Steve Jobs would just patent our ideas and kick us out of the app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    WebOS has an OS.

Think about it does iOS actually do anything except display your apps in a grid? iOS is purely the link between the hardware and the applications.

WebOS on the other hand manages your running applications, has synergy, a file system, allows apps to talk to each other as well as webos itself. Hell iOS even needs an app for basic settings like wifi, WebOS has that in the top bar (and if you need more advanced features then and only then do you go into a settings app). I do stuff in WebOS, you dont touch iOS you touch an app.

And this is why WebOS is awesome.

Am I completely wrong here does Apple's iOS do more than I think it does, but just putting OS behind the i does not give them a full fledged OS.
    Without iOS’ APIs, there would be no apps. It's because of the OS that the apps exist.

The great thing about the myriad applications that iOS provides is extendability and versatility. There's practically an app that fills every need and desire. An OS can only provide so much to the end-user before an application is required to fill a particular void.

And iOS apps have the ability to talk to one another; look up GoodReader for a perfect example.
    WebOS has an OS.
    ...snip
    Right now, not a factor. IBM had OS2, where is that now. What webos needs is this:

Reuters: UPDATE 6-Apple smashes Street views, shares soar
    * Revenue, forecast trump Wall Street's targets
    * iPhones, iPad drive quarter
    * Shares soar 7 pct to all-time high after-hours
    UPDATE 6-Apple smashes Street views, shares soar

CNNMoney: NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Apple is the most valuable tech company in the world, but it's growing like it's a startup.
    The consumer electronics giant set record after record on Tuesday, hitting all-time highs with its quarterly profit and revenue, its stock price, and with iPhone and iPad sales.

Apple's record day

Reuters: Apple sold 9.25 million iPads and 3.95 million Mac computers. Gross margin for the quarter came to 41.7 percent.
    Apple smashes Street views, shares soar

Unfortuantely, right now the public doesn't care about webos, true multitasking, cards, touch to share, or induction charging.
    Some very bad decision making would need to occur on Apple's, maybe along the lines or RIM and HP, for that to change in the next year.

If IOS was seriously flawed, you would not see these record numbers. Millions and millions and millions of people don't plop down money for junk quarter after quarter.

Yes webos has os, ios has money, users and marketshare.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/19/2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilover View Post
    Longtime webOS fan and Precentral reader who finally decided to join in in the forums here.

I have an iPhone and the only thing holding me back from switching back to webOS when the pre 3 comes out (used to have a pre plus) is the sheer number and quality of apps that iOS offers. Thats it. From a UI and UX standpoint, iOS is the most boring OS on the market.

Ordered my 32GB touchpad and case from Amazon today (had to wait a few paydays to save up). With HP backing webOS, I hope that they can persuade the major app developers to port their apps to webOS and then I can fully ditch my iPhone once and for all.
    That's too bad. You should really enjoy your phone. I don't have an iPhone, but if I spent the money, I'm sure I could learn to like it. Being afraid that I won't is the reason I still have a Pre-.

On another note, you're going to love your TouchPad. I have no excuse, but I take it with me to work and no longer carry my laptop. My laptop is now an at home device instead of a portable device. Exhibition is awesome. I use my TouchPad as a digital frame and play music in the background. People stop by and are blown away. That's right I get use out of my TouchPad even when I don't have enough time to touch and play with it.
    iOS is purely the link between the hardware and the applications...

WebOS on the other hand manages your running applications, has synergy, a file system, allows apps to talk to each other as well as webos itself. ...
    I guess it depends what you want or need in a phone. If you're buying something mostly to play with the os then maybe WebOS will be your thing. If you're buying a phone to use the apps then maybe IOS appeals to you.

Honestly i look at my use on a computer and, u.i., is not the most important thing to me. I log on, open the browser, maybe play chess, type papers. What i don't do is

Same on my phone once i set up my gmail account once i didn't touch synergy stuff again. so day to day it's not that big of a concern. I turn the phone on, run the facebook app, send a text. But i'm not playing with the interface. If you buy a phone to, say use netflix to watch movies something that's whats important. Me personally i buy a phone to take pictures, listen, to music, text, interface with my financial accounts, email, and some other things. I'm not buying it to flip card or do synergy. It's cool. I like cards. But they are a tool. I don't think about it. So for me all the synergy stuff and the cards and what not are fine but I'm more about the the actual thing i'm doing: How's the music app work, how do i get music into the device, how is the podcasting, how good and many features does the camera app have, can i use this or that app.

So i think it all depends on whats important to you as consumer and opinions vary. Everyone won't be just like me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.