Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    Wow! after having my evo 3-D for about a week now. I regret being so closed minded, and "web os centric". I kept my pre minus for way too long. The voice functionality you get with googles's "just speak it" alone makes it well worth the switch. Web OS is a great platform, but I think Android is phenomenal.

The only thing I miss is the inductive charging, but I'll be getting a power mat charging system when I get around to it. Meanwhile all four of my Palm chargers work to charge my Evo, minus the touchstones. In the end after running android for a week, being able to swipe away cards seems insignificant.

Anyway to each their own, form your own opinions. So far my experience has been great.
    Last edited by dvkim; 07/16/2011 at 01:37 AM.
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.
    cgardnervt and graffix31 like this.
    I dont think it is really fair to compare a device that was debuted in january of 2009 and an operating system that was updated a year ago to something you just bought in the middle of 2011.

I mean my Pre Minus runs circles around my Treo 700wx, but thats just an obvious statement, and one that I wouldnt waste writing a thread about.
    threed61#WN and cobrakon like this.
  3.    #3  
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the pre 3 will have any where near the voice command functionality of Android, and with my evo I'm no longer even thinking about the pre 3. Which is yet to be launched.
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.
    what? you like something more than the palm pre? there's no room for that here. unleash the kraken!
    graffix31, ToddK and cobrakon like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    what? you like something more than the palm pre? there's no room for that here. unleash the kraken!
    LLOL.... Hopefully HP will come up with some competitive hardware in the future. I'll always be a web os fan, and may be back someday.
    he's right. The Android on newer bigger phones like the Evo 3D are more powerful. We love our pres though but lets be realistic here and admit android is better, hence why the cellphone companies are getting more profit out of them. Webos is nice and I'm so used to it already but the most powerful OS is Android. I would have the android bigger phone but I hate the touchscreen only to text and type. I'm so used to physical keyboard
    for all of us that are here. we are favoritist, not realistic. Face it!
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I like WebOs. I always liked Palm when it existed. But I am realistic.

HP said they would upgrade the OS on my Pre -- just wait. Wait some more. Now wait a little more. Oh, BTW, we are not going to upgrade the OS on your Pre. Sorry about that.

Oh, BTW, you Sprint users have no phone you can use on Sprint except the Pre and we aren't making any more of them (not counting the Pixi).

Yes, we do know when we have been told where to go. And I will go to Android when I buy another phone -- I know I have no choice unless I want Windows, which I certainly do not.
    Nobody ever said Android wasn't feature rich.

Its just that like a powerful virus its always morphing, its fugly, it spreads itself across many carriers, and anybody who has it should be quarantined.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    for all of us that are here. we are favoritist, not realistic. Face it!
    Some of us here, already own a phone. I don't know that the Android is a nicer device. I've never owned one. The one I saw was big and I don't want to carry a phone that's as big as my iPod. In addition, I like my notification system and the fact that I know what's going on with all my mailboxes w/o having to log in and check them.

If Android can give me that same experience with a physical keyboard, I might get one. So far, I haven't been impressed with the demo models at the stores and I'm not willing to sign a new contract to try one.
    Wouldn't want an android if it was free. Still blind
    bah- I stick with my pre plus, and compliment it with my ipod touch with added bonus of free mobile hotspot.

mobile bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvkim View Post
    Wow! after having my evo 3-D for about a week now. I regret being so closed minded, and "web os centric". I kept my pre minus for way too long. The voice functionality you get with googles's "just speak it" alone makes it well worth the switch. Web OS is a great platform, but I think Android is phenomenal.

The only thing I miss is the inductive charging, but I'll be getting a power mat charging system when I get around to it. Meanwhile all four of my Palm chargers work to charge my Evo, minus the touchstones. In the end after running android for a week, being able to swipe away cards seems insignificant.

Anyway to each their own, form your own opinions. So far my experience has been great.
    I feel all most the same way! Very well said.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    deihmos#WN likes this.
    I agree, to each his own. However, saying the latest Android is better than the latest webOS device is not quite as simple as yes or no. For example, I walk into a Staples last night to try out the 5 or 6 different tablets they have on a huge display. The Android ones are clunky. Sure they run like the wind but so did my Treo 680 and well, we all know what happened there. I'm not saying its a bad OS. Not by a long shot, however its UI is a hodge podge of widgets and different UI elements based on whatever the developer came up with for that app.

Most consumers don't know about a task manager, so knowing what apps are open is this random guess work of open up and see if you were previously working in that particular app. I realize the Android guys here will say, "well, you have to download x and y and change z, silly" but I could make the same argument with webOS homebrew. I remember the first time I used webOS. I remember two things explicitly... number one that the hardware sucked big time and number 2, the damn OS read my mind. It just feels and works the way you would think it should. I also favor a portrait qwerty keyboard over anything else and think the Pre2 is one of the better phones on the market right now. Win, win. Sure, I wish I had a couple apps from Android and sure I wish the screen was slightly bigger but the trade-offs of using an OS that seems like it was designed from the ground up to operate how I think is well worth it to me. I'll be patient with HP.
    vza33 and Sapient2k7 like this.
    I agree to each his own, but at some point the os means nothing if there is no support.

I'm glad I can "truly" multitask, but what am I multitasking? 3 apps? I can't enjoy my netflix or slingbox on my device. I can't ever open a pdf on the first try instead it's like 4 or 5 times of trying until it actually opens. Doc editing? forget about that! Hey I need directions, let's open up google maps and hurry up and wait for 1-2 minutes!

Synergy works well, calenders is good, but where's my skype im? integrated twitter experience? The ability to delete someone from my im?!?

At some point I have to think is this a feature phone or a smartphone and it's becoming evident what it is.
    deihmos#WN likes this.
  16.    #16  
    I've also uploaded 20 gigs of music to my google music account which can be played on my Evo 3D using the google music app by saying "play - artist - song" with google's "just speak it". In addition Desktop/Laptop integration is easy with apps like "chrome to phone" and "chrome marks lite", the latter enables syncing your desktop bookmarks with your phone.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I felt exactly the same way when I got an Android device. The phone came with a doc editor, adobe acrobat reader (official) and now I have skype video chat, netflix and tons of official apps with the majority of them being free. Hell you need to pay for a twitter client for Webos and the one I bought decided to jump ship from Webos.

Webos needs to go back to the drawing board, it isn't ready as yet.
    the legacy devices are now feature phones, with the lack of doc editing, dependency on the mobile web for content, lack of any new significant apps for legacy devices, stale OS without any upgrade potential.

sad. Can't wait for the pre 3.
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=MDsmartphone;3033137]the legacy devices are now feature phones, with the lack of doc editing, dependency on the mobile web for content, lack of any new significant apps for legacy devices, stale OS without any upgrade potential.

Funny thing is there is no doc editing on the newer webos phones either. Pre 2 and veer for example. At this point I don't get the point of a Pre 3.
  20.    #20  
    [QUOTE=jamex;3033162]
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    the legacy devices are now feature phones, with the lack of doc editing, dependency on the mobile web for content, lack of any new significant apps for legacy devices, stale OS without any upgrade potential.

Funny thing is there is no doc editing on the newer webos phones either. Pre 2 and veer for example. At this point I don't get the point of a Pre 3.
    Agreed, I had doc editing on my treo 650...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast