Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    thus, why I carry an ipod touch with me. WebOS is just too cool and fun to use to give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Nobody ever said Android wasn't feature rich.

Its just that like a powerful virus its always morphing, its fugly, it spreads itself across many carriers, and anybody who has it should be quarantined.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
    And on the flip side it's too bad webos is not more like a virus, the public has been inoculated against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    thus, why I carry an ipod touch with me. WebOS is just too cool and fun to use to give up.
    It seems from reading numerous threads most webos users have only a few requirements:
    1: Synergy
    2: Portrait keyboard
    3: Inductive charging
    4: Flicking cards to navigate/close apps
    5: Multitasking, (although with the limited apps not sure what there is to multitask)
    6: Notifications

Things like:
    1: Place shifting
    2: Media streaming (Netfilx)
    3: Virtual Desktop
    4: Navigation
    5: Doc Editing
    6: Healthy ecosystem
    7: Video out
    8: BBM like instant messaging (Fring,
    9: Video conferencing
    10: Decent picture taking
    11: Music production
    12: Remote Cable DVR control
    13: Music Discovery (Pandora)
    14: HTPC remote control
    15: Video out
    16: Clear display

are all unimportant to webos users. It's easy to see why webos has no major following or traction.
    [QUOTE=dvkim;3033183]
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post

Agreed, I had doc editing on my treo 650...
    True, but doc editing was through an app. Docs to go. It wasn't the device, it was the app. I did a lot of things with my PalmOS, but it was through apps. Palm didn't write the OS and all of the apps that ran on the OS. Developers wrote apps to make money.

Back then, our apps were also a lot more expensive. It wasn't uncommon to send $20 to $30 on an app. Thus, it also didn't take as much for a developer to make his money back. Since there wasn't a centralized app catalog, developers sold their products directly to the users, from websites, and did split profits or they sold through various mobile catalogs that charged a fee or share.

Now apps are cheaper and developers pay a fee or share profit. Having to pay money to sell your product, and getting such a small price because of today's expectations, make it more daunting for developers to put in the time and then front additional funds that they may never get back.

HP is being very lenient and aggressive to get developers, but it won't stay that way (we hope).

If the customers come to WebOS, the developers and apps will come. If they don't, we'll have developers who believe in the platform, but they can't develop everything that everyone wants yesterday. In addition, they don't have an interest in all of the apps that people wanted yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    It seems from reading numerous threads most webos users have only a few requirements:
    1: Synergy
    2: Portrait keyboard
    3: Inductive charging
    4: Flicking cards to navigate/close apps
    5: Multitasking, (although with the limited apps not sure what there is to multitask)
    6: Notifications
    Speak for yourself. Having some patience and belief in webOS and now about to be rewarded, see this tweet below:

:webosinternals WebOS Internals
    For those who missed the fun overnight: Meta-Doctor, Preware, Xecutah & XServer together allow you to run Ubuntu apps on *any* webOS device.
    53 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply"

And digging into Ubuntu, found this list of top apps:

Top 10 Ubuntu Apps
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Speak for yourself. Having some patience and belief in webOS and now about to be rewarded, see this tweet below:

:webosinternals WebOS Internals
    For those who missed the fun overnight: Meta-Doctor, Preware, Xecutah & XServer together allow you to run Ubuntu apps on *any* webOS device.
    53 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply"

And digging into Ubuntu, found this list of top apps:

Top 10 Ubuntu Apps
    I'm not speaking for anyone. It was an observation based on numerous post, comments and the state of webos over the last two years. Your tweet post does not negate that.

Cool unbuntu list. I have used most of those apps on a linux box. However, if those items were really that important to a webos user, they would have moved to another platform.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/17/2011 at 10:23 AM.
    well you might not like the pre anymore but at least you still like Pre|Central!...thanks for sticking around even though you switched OSes!
    indeed! We all love people who stick around and brag up other platforms/devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I waited around for a year and a half and the future still looks mighty bleak. I was one that always said apps will come but guess what? They never came and developers are jumping ship plus the hardware is still not there (veer). Sprint has no interest in Webos and i don't blame them. I wouldn't switch carriers for a phone. How much patience is required?
    another year or 2, i'm sure that will be plenty of time for Hpalm to right the ship
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I waited around for a year and a half and the future still looks mighty bleak. I was one that always said apps will come but guess what? They never came and developers are jumping ship plus the hardware is still not there (veer). Sprint has no interest in Webos and i don't blame them. I wouldn't switch carriers for a phone. How much patience is required?
    i wouldnt say that devs are "jumping ship", more like they never boarded. I don't know what you mean about hardware complaint and the Veer. Do you have one? Wife and I both have one, and have no problems. Love the keyboard, slider is tight, dropped several times without a scratch, and good battery life. My wife uses hers very little, but of course it's webOS so it's always "working" with email accounts, etc... And she easily gets 2 days from it. I use mine heavily, and still go all day no problem. Not liking the form factor isnt the same as having hardware problems.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    he's right. The Android on newer bigger phones like the Evo 3D are more powerful. We love our pres though but lets be realistic here and admit android is better...(
    I don't admit it. I tested the Evo for 30 days & tried to use it exclusively. I said then & I will say now, they had outstanding hardware & I liked the app selection, but that was about it. I liked the overall experience of my Pre- much better.

I never did get used to the Virtual Keyboard (in 30 days), though I have no trouble on pads, I didn't like the UI as much, the notification system, etc.

There were great things about the phone, but we all know phones are very personal choices. SO, IMO, the Android is NOT better than a webOS phone.
    android is no where in the ballpark of "better". Better is some ways, yes, but somehow I doubt some of you android fanatics here will admit to that much.

also, how long do we have to hear about the hardware being terrible from devices released 2 years ago? The pre2, veer and touchpad are solid. Some of you guys really reach for problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I don't admit it. I tested the Evo for 30 days & tried to use it exclusively. I said then & I will say now, they had outstanding hardware & I liked the app selection, but that was about it. I liked the overall experience of my Pre- much better.

I never did get used to the Virtual Keyboard (in 30 days), though I have no trouble on pads, I didn't like the UI as much, the notification system, etc.

There were great things about the phone, but we all know phones are very personal choices. SO, IMO, the Android is NOT better than a webOS phone.
    same here... 3 weeks on a Nexus S 4G was 3 weeks too many. Android is powerful, and the cool big name apps are truly fantastic. But the interface seems like it is made for/by 13 year old boys. And simple but basic functions are left out. (search email?)
    ... My personal tastes, of course.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    android is no where in the ballpark of "better". The pre2, veer and touchpad are solid.
    I think the consumers disagree with you and so did the reviewers.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    same here... 3 weeks on a Nexus S 4G was 3 weeks too many. Android is powerful, and the cool big name apps are truly fantastic. But the interface seems like it is made for/by 13 year old boys. And simple but basic functions are left out. (search email?)
    ... My personal tastes, of course.
    I can search my mail. Never used a nexus and not a big fan of pure Google interface but htc sense is great. If you don't liek the interface just change it. The email app that came with the Evo 3D is so much better than what is on webos. I can actually see html email when using active sync with hotmail. On the Pre all I get is text.
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    We love our pres though but lets be realistic here and admit android is better, hence why the cellphone companies are getting more profit out of them.
    actually Android is a pretty lousy OS when it comes down to it. the navigation is a nightmare and the UI looks like crap. the only thing it really has is 'power' and apps, and its popularity is mostly due to Google pumping a ton of money and marketing muscle into it. i would pick iOS over android any day if i had to pick one.
    We like webos because it does what we need it to do and it does it better and with more class than any android phone.

We have seen the android and we decide to pass. I resent the tone of this thread coming in here suggesting that we are blind for not wanting android.
    jetsetter883 likes this.
    And its ugly.
    jetsetter883 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    And its ugly.
    fugly android
    <argument deleted>
    nospleen and milominderbinde like this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast