Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Garrett92C
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie
  • 2 Post By jsgraphicart
  • 1 Post By nappy
  1.    #1  
    I just found this kinda funny...

I also want to point out that this happens to many other people as well. This whole "4G" thing is such a mess.

One-Third of iPhone Users Mistakenly Think They Have 4G - Mac Rumors

"According to a new survey from Retrevo, 34% of iPhone users are under the mistaken impression that they already have "4G" cellular technology on their devices, highlighting the confusion that has resulted from shifting definitions of just what constitutes "4G" speeds."
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    sketch42 likes this.
    quite telling in that it shows how unimportant 4G speeds are right now. Tons of people don't know the difference.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    RafRol likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    quite telling in that it shows how unimportant 4G speeds are right now. Tons of people don't know the difference.
    just bec.. they dont know the diff bet 3g & 4G doesnt mean it isnt needed..

try vid chat on 3g
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post

try vid chat on 3g
    Do it all the time, works quite well when needed. Of course, it depends on your signal quality and area, but with AT&T I average around 1.2 - 2.5 Mbps in San Francisco or the Bay Area.

When I travel back east I see even better in the smaller cities. I've seen as high as 5 Mbps.
    People think they have 4G because they have an iPhone 4. Before it even came out, everyone was labeling it as the iPhone 4G. It just shows that most people dont know anything about technology.

Also, Android users probably think they have 4G because of phones like the Evo 4G and its commercials. People see a commercial about Android and see it labeled as 4G, so they just assume their android phone is 4G.

Blackberry users, I dont know where they get it from. lol
    LordSecksie and nappy like this.
    ^^^ Lmao @ Blackberry Comment

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie

try vid chat on 3g
    You confuse performance with necessity. Performing better over 4G does not mean you "need" 4G performance. And if they don't notice the difference in performance clearly they don't "need" it. It's not a big deal when they are making a purchase.

And considering the Pre 3 is NOT 4G webos fans better pray I'm right and that 4G is not a necessity.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 07/13/2011 at 12:15 AM.
    I'll admit, I completely lost it at the BlackBerry comment.
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    You confuse performance with necessity. Performing better over 4G does not mean you "need" 4G performance. And if they don't notice the difference in performance clearly they don't "need" it. It's not a big deal when they are making a purchase.

And considering the Pre 3 is NOT 4G webos fans better pray I'm right and that 4G is not a necessity.
    When it comes to streaming media.. Performance , bandwidth , latency are always a necessity.

People That Need it, & use both, will tell you .

Ex. I have a customer who needs to monitor his video camera from his phone..

Would you tell him he doesn't NEED LTE.. EVDO is fine? He won't notice a diff?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'll admit, I completely lost it at the BlackBerry comment.
    The only thing that makes any sort of sense is the torch

When it comes to streaming media.. Performance , bandwidth , latency are always a necessity.

Actually, latency has nothing to do with this, it's throughput that matters. Also, the latency difference between 4G and 3G is insignificant and varies; in places latency can actually be better with a 3G connection vs a 4G depending on how far away you are from the tower(s).

That incorrectly assumes people "need" to stream. They don't. And it incorrectly assumes people need to stream at a certain speed. Whether the guy can "tell the difference" how you judge need. They may not "need" the difference. I don't. Everybody doesn't need 4g. Even the guy above said he doesn't need it to stream. Merely being a better service doesn't mean it's a needed service. you can try and convince yourself anyway you want to. If all these people don't notice they it's not a necessity for them. And saying "but it streams faster" doesn't mean people need to stream in the first place.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 07/13/2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    People think they have 4G because they have an iPhone 4. Before it even came out, everyone was labeling it as the iPhone 4G. It just shows that most people dont know anything about technology.

Also, Android users probably think they have 4G because of phones like the Evo 4G and its commercials. People see a commercial about Android and see it labeled as 4G, so they just assume their android phone is 4G.

Blackberry users, I dont know where they get it from. lol
    Well it also goes into what you want to consider "4G". If you go by a speed definition alone then there is no "4G" service right now. If you go by a network deployment, then Verizon and as a stretch Sprint both have "4G" networks deployed since those are new gen tech plus have easy upgrade paths to reach real "4G" speeds. AT&T and T-mobile on the other hand are taking their 3G v3 upgrades and relabeling them as "4G" to flat out lie to their customers. There current networks do not have an upgrade path to true "4G" without a new network deployment, which AT&T has pushed back a several times.