Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I do not have access to an iPad or iPad 2, but what I'd like to see is some sort of video review showing the time and elegance it takes to perform something of the sort (a real life scenario) on a TouchPad vs the iPad

1. Add a date/time to your calendar for an event
    2. Check news.google.com
    3. Copy a specific news story url & email it to a friend
    4. Send the url to your friends email
    5. Check precentral.net forums & make a post, but while posting you just got a text message that the event you added earlier was changed to a different time so you need to edit it, but dont want to leave the post your making on precentral.
    6. Edit the date/time of the event
    7. Finishing the forum post
    8. Play some angry birds
    9. While playing angry birds your 1 bird away from winning a level but realize you have to send a text message back to your friend saying you got their message that the event date/time was changed
    10. Check the weather
    11. Continue playing Angry Birds
    12. You don't beat the level and want to search how to beat the level on Angry Birds on youtube, so you load up the search for the level & watch the video
    13. Resume playing Angry Birds
    14. Pause Angry Birds because you want to search the apps for Angry Birds Seasons to download
    15. Go back to Angry Birds game where you left off
    16. Open 5 Websites from your launcher all in a row so they're all viewable
    17. Open your Music App
    18. Update your status on facebook to say your playing Angry birds
    19. Go back to the email you sent earlier and forward it to someone else
    20. Realize this is just a story about how you can't do this stuff so easily on an iPad or Android Tablet :-D

I find the above to be a realistic thing that happens when one is using a device and I just typed this off the top of my head, but the ease of use to do multiple things without losing your spot is the main reason I love my TouchPad & hope others will too!
    nightdevil21 likes this.
    Yeah, this differentiates the TouchPad from its competition, good point.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I'd like to add:

Start composing two separate emails. Cut a paragraph from a web-page and paste into the first email. Cut a paragraph from a received email and paste into the other. Cut a paragraph from a memo and paste it into both emails. Send them off.

What a joy on WebOS and a pain on iOS. This is what multi-tasking means to me in my daily work.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    While its no doubt the TouchPad wins in the multitasking department, I would like to see how the differences in UI, usability, and functionality stacks up between them all.

I wonder if a string of tasks typical to a mobile user can be instituted into a standardized regimen to test phones and tablets, much like the mpg figures for vehicles. At least that will give users a good idea of how the specs translates into performance and user experience.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I have both devices and I can assist. For now, checkout this thread to see if some of your questions are answered there while I put the clip together.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-ipad-2-a.html
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So what you'd like to see done is a comparison "review" that specifically is geared at highlighting parts the touchpad does better...including things that don't make much sense (Such as apparently 15 more seconds playing Angry Birds being far to much time to wait before telling your friend a date/time changed)...while not looking for any scenarios where the others will show up.

That's not a "review" that's comparison advertising, propoganda, whatever you want to call it. You could take any of the four tablet platforms and create a scenario where one is going to do better than the other. That's not really "reviewing".

I would like to see a true "comparison" review where the editors for the various blog sites associated with Smartphone Experts each give a reasonable list of 5 tasks for each reviewer to try and a tablet running each of the OS's. And create a "review" based on that.

This way instead of just having a "review" that is obviously biased and focused on WebOS, we can see a true comparison review based on the input from Blackberry, Android, iOS, and WebOS enthusiests where all four try the various actions on all the tablets and give honest feedback about it.
    I have both and can do a review for both devices. Tell me what 5 tasks to perform on both devices and I'll do it and post the video. Keep in mind, each device has their own limitations so you may want to find a tasks that is common on both platforms in order to make the review or comparison less biased.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    I don't think it make sense to compare the iPad2 to the TouchPad or vice versa. Everyone know the iPad2 notification system is obstructive and intrusive but the TouchPad notification system is neither. The iPad2 has hdmi/video output but the TouchPad does not. You can do multitasking on the TouchPad but not on the iPad2. The iPad2 has a built-in camera and video app for the onboard cameras and the TouchPad does not.

The iPad is not a TouchPad and the TouchPad is not an iPad so how do you honestly compare both devices and declare a winner? Each device has it's strength and weakness.

Test drive the iOS, Android and webOS tablet devices and pick the one that accomplishes most of the things you need or want on a tablet.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    Zyphlin likes this.
    I'll make a video soon with a comparison. It will be lengthy, but I'll do it. I like making videos like this anyway. Ill let you know when its up. I just need tobget my friend's ipad to borrow and then I will make it.
    Im looking forward to seeing this video. Maybe add a timer at the bottom to show how fast all the tasks can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    You can do multitasking on the TouchPad but not on the iPad2.
    Say what?

Here I am multitasking on my iPad 2 right now. I guess I am just special.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    I have both and can do a review for both devices.
    If you don't think your iPad 2 can multitask, I'm not so sure you are the right person for the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I do not have access to an iPad or iPad 2, but what I'd like to see is some sort of video review showing the time and elegance it takes to perform something of the sort (a real life scenario) on a TouchPad vs the iPad

1. Add a date/time to your calendar for an event
    2. Check news.google.com
    3. Copy a specific news story url & email it to a friend
    4. Send the url to your friends email
    5. Check precentral.net forums & make a post, but while posting you just got a text message that the event you added earlier was changed to a different time so you need to edit it, but dont want to leave the post your making on precentral.
    6. Edit the date/time of the event
    7. Finishing the forum post
    8. Play some angry birds
    9. While playing angry birds your 1 bird away from winning a level but realize you have to send a text message back to your friend saying you got their message that the event date/time was changed
    10. Check the weather
    11. Continue playing Angry Birds
    12. You don't beat the level and want to search how to beat the level on Angry Birds on youtube, so you load up the search for the level & watch the video
    13. Resume playing Angry Birds
    14. Pause Angry Birds because you want to search the apps for Angry Birds Seasons to download
    15. Go back to Angry Birds game where you left off
    16. Open 5 Websites from your launcher all in a row so they're all viewable
    17. Open your Music App
    18. Update your status on facebook to say your playing Angry birds
    19. Go back to the email you sent earlier and forward it to someone else
    20. Realize this is just a story about how you can't do this stuff so easily on an iPad or Android Tablet :-D

I find the above to be a realistic thing that happens when one is using a device and I just typed this off the top of my head, but the ease of use to do multiple things without losing your spot is the main reason I love my TouchPad & hope others will too!
    Yes, your list seems to want to show off the strengths of the WebOS. How about another video showing the TouchPad creating a spreadsheet?
    estebancam likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Yes, your list seems to want to show off the strengths of the WebOS. How about another video showing the TouchPad creating a spreadsheet?
    this made me laugh because you have a very valid point. Or maybe a touchpad taking pictures. I love the heck out of my toucpad but i definitely know that it has its weaknesses. If i do ghis video, i will not make it biased. But it may sound like it because webos is just that much better.
    I'll make a video this evening that attempts to show the flow of what you've listed here on an iPad 2. I've noticed though, that some of the things you've listed is impossible even on the TouchPad with its given multitasking superiority:

• Open 5 Websites from your launcher all in a row so they're all viewable

How does one do this on the TouchPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'll make a video this evening that attempts to show the flow of what you've listed here on an iPad 2. I've noticed though, that some of the things you've listed is impossible even on the TouchPad with its given multitasking superiority:

Open 5 Websites from your launcher all in a row so they're all viewable

How does one do this on the TouchPad?
    Cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Cards.
    Someone care to take a screenshot of this? I didn't realize you can show 5 or more cards at once (stacks don't count considering you can't exactly see the content).
    Really, having stacks for your browser is a lot like having tabs, stiil fast switching. Not being able to see which is which does make it a bit less useful though. I really wish we had tabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Someone care to take a screenshot of this? I didn't realize you can show 5 or more cards at once (stacks don't count considering you can't exactly see the content).

~~~Asaseaban~~~
    This post comes to you from the iPad!

edit: Okay, video is now uploading to YouTube. I tried to stick to the flow as much as possible listed above.
    Last edited by barkerja; 07/05/2011 at 09:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast