Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bevcraw
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    And I left with the Galaxy Tab 10.1

I tried for about an hour to convince myself to get the TP but just couldn't do it. It is missing so many things....I just had to walk away at this point.

The most important to me was doc/spreadsheet editing & rear camera. Add to that a low app count, crashes when I was using it (it actually restarted twice), no HDMI out & the size. I want to stay with a WebOS ecosystem so bad. Oh, I actually had to ask the guys there to set it up with WiFi so people could get a better feel for it. About 4 BB reps came to talk to me while I was using it. They all seemed pretty interested in it.

Anyway, I have 2 weeks to play with this Galaxy while I can still switch it out with the TP. I am impressed so far though. Great performance, plenty of apps (I didn't realize what I was missing), absolutely beautiful screen & thin/light.

Perhaps if the Pre3 were out and I could get both as a package, it would have turned the tide. I guess at this point I am thinking that I can sell the Galaxy and go with TP and Pre3 when things have evened out.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Had you not read any of the reviews that said that the Touchpad did not have rear camera or video out and that it did not have document editing before you walked into Best Buy?
    HelloNNNewman and KAPS like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post

I tried for about an hour to convince myself to get the TP but just couldn't do it. It is missing so many things....I just had to walk away at this point.

The most important to me was doc/spreadsheet editing & rear camera. Add to that a low app count, crashes when I was using it (it actually restarted twice), no HDMI out & the size. I want to stay with a WebOS ecosystem so bad. Oh, I actually had to ask the guys there to set it up with WiFi so people could get a better feel for it. About 4 BB reps came to talk to me while I was using it. They all seemed pretty interested in it.

Anyway, I have 2 weeks to play with this Galaxy while I can still switch it out with the TP. I am impressed so far though. Great performance, plenty of apps (I didn't realize what I was missing), absolutely beautiful screen & thin/light.

Perhaps if the Pre3 were out and I could get both as a package, it would have turned the tide. I guess at this point I am thinking that I can sell the Galaxy and go with TP and Pre3 when things have evened out.
    Sounds like a plan. Doc editing should come soon, I have personally heard HP reps say before the launch it is already available for docs mailed to you so I assume they have been using it successfully at Palm HQ and we just need to wait for the OTA to get it distributed to the masses.

The biggest drawback to the Galaxy is Android which stops me dead in my tracks from getting it.

If you decide you miss webOS, you can always try the TouchPad again after the OTA and think about using the Pre2 while you wait for the HP phones.

For the HDMI out, I am curious as to how often you will use this. I bought an HDMI out adaptor for my mac and I never have used it, luckily the part was under $10.
    Yeah, don't forget a doc editing app is coming for the pre real soon. We heard this one before..

I'll give you all of the rest, but PLEASE bump this thread with a post every time (after the first 30 days) that you EVER use the rear camera on this 10 inch beast (I envision the early days of photography with the big box, a tripod, and the photog sticks his head under a cloth hood) AND/OR hook up the HDMI out to some other device.

I suspect those features will be used in a "hey...cool. Let's see how this works" way and then never again for the most part.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Had you not read any of the reviews that said that the Touchpad did not have rear camera or video out and that it did not have document editing before you walked into Best Buy?
    I sure did, as I said.... I was trying to convince myself to purchase it.

I understand that editing capabilities *should* come, but when and for how much? However, a rear camera is not going to come through an OTA. I had hoped that by using the device, I could reason out that I can get along without these items.

Believe me, I read too many reviews. Hoping they were from pre-productions models or something.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Doc editing should come soon, I have personally heard HP reps say before the launch it is already available for docs mailed to you so I assume they have been using it successfully at Palm HQ and we just need to wait for the OTA to get it distributed to the masses.

The biggest drawback to the Galaxy is Android which stops me dead in my tracks from getting it.

If you decide you miss webOS, you can always try the TouchPad again after the OTA and think about using the Pre2 while you wait for the HP phones.

For the HDMI out, I am curious as to how often you will use this. I bought an HDMI out adaptor for my mac and I never have used it, luckily the part was under $10.
    I hope some big changes are made before my 2 weeks are up so I am able to swap it out. If not, I'm willing to take a hit with the Galaxy when the TP is
    ready. The first carrier that gets the Pre is going to be my new carrier (I really don't expect that to be Sprint, if ever).

I will use the HDMI out for PP presentations and some pics & video shot with the Galaxy. Not often, but enough to desire it.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I understand that editing capabilities *should* come, but when and for how much?
    "In the coming months".

Just like when editing and flash came to the Pre-.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Anyone that bought a launch TP should seriously think about returning it in the next week or so, before the 14 day return window.

If "by chance" this magical OTA update is "delayed", you will be left with a nice paperweight. Cut your losses now and wait on the sidelines.

Then again, if you just drool over WebOS, hang on to it and keep the faith
    not returning mine any time soon. I bought the device I wanted to buy. I'm glad the OP bought the product that fit his needs too.
    ...Anyway, I have 2 weeks to play with this Galaxy while I can still switch it out with the TP...
    There are similarities and differences to consider.
    I think if you are really really planning on using this in a business setting, then lack of hdmi or similar video output is a drawback. I'm not in that setting per se, but for instance, sometimes I do photo slideshows for weddings etc. If I had the ability to play those back through a projector during the rehearsal dinner or reception that would be useful. But other than that and other "presentation" type work, I don't see it as too big an omission.

as far as the rear camera, while not used that often, it could be a useful feature for some. You have to ask, how often are you without your phone? I have my phone with me 95% of the time and the other 5% are times where I can't have my phone... So I wouldn't have my TP either.
    I don't see a negative in having a rear camera however.

WIth such a big case you would think HP could've fit one in.
    I don't see the positive of having it either... If you feel (thinking about it is another story) you need it, I don't think there is a need to go "try" the touchpad, or recommend others (this one is bizarre) to return theirs.

The same as coming here to post you haven't picked one because of lack of hdmi or rear camera, when we've seen this during the last 5 months. Maybe if you want to publicize that X device has it, there would be a reason, but doesn't provide any info aside from that free marketing work.

This is the only site where I see this happen everyday.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
    Newness Developments apps: