Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    At this point, it's the Blackberry App World and webOS App Catalog that are growing at a snail's pace. I really doubt that HP will get significant growth with Enyo any time soon, especially considering the critical reception of the Touchpad. Think about it, with people developing for iOS first, Android second, they're obviously developing for WP7 third, there has to be something pretty darn compelling to convince people to spend even more time on a fourth platform.

"Number one plus" only in your dreams...

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I hate to say it, but this is why I traded in my Pre- for a Nexus S. The development community walked away from webOS early on. I won't come back until I see them come back.

I still love webOS but apps are more important. I can just do more with my android device. Its not as easy, as intuitive, as seamless...but none of that matters.

I've been saying it from day 1. Theres only 2 ways to go about this. Get devices into users hands, or get developers. Hp/Palm hasn't done either.
    m3grady2 and barkerja like this.
    25k apps and HP palm had a head start and where are we sitting?
    We haven't even cracked the 10k mark...I still wonder about all the 600 apps supposedly created by HP peeps it never saw light of day.
    Well we havenot released a phone on all the networks yet even in USA. So before apps they need new hardware on all the carriers.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Pre2 was announced in Feb on Verizon...now we have Veer on ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    At this point, it's the Blackberry App World and webOS App Catalog that are growing at a snail's pace. I really doubt that HP will get significant growth with Enyo any time soon, especially considering the critical reception of the Touchpad. Think about it, with people developing for iOS first, Android second, they're obviously developing for WP7 third, there has to be something pretty darn compelling to convince people to spend even more time on a fourth platform.

"Number one plus" only in your dreams...

Windows Phone Marketplace now populated by 25,000 apps, speeding up rate of growth -- Engadget

It's great that windows has 25K apps... now how many windows 7 phones are out there to buy those apps? I have yet to see one in the public where I live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    It's great that windows has 25K apps... now how many windows 7 phones are out there to buy those apps? I have yet to see one in the public where I live.
    WebOS ain't rippin' up the sales numbers either.

Microsoft has me more confident with their product than HP....Mango looks great.
    barkerja likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Microsoft has me more confident with their product than HP....Mango looks great.

Brain,

Not picking a fight, but I'm curious why you have more confidence in Microsoft? They only thing they have has success in without first have a lock on the market in recent years is the X-box. And of course, being Microsoft, they try to tie all subsequent products to the X-Box bandwagon.

I saw a lot of similar post about RIM when the Playbook was announced, despite the fact that their only success in recent years was in markets where they had a stranglehold.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

You probably weren't a victim of Windows Mobile 6. When I had my Palm Treo I had a choice of Palm OS or Windows Mobile. Almost everyone who picked the windows mobile os hated it. Almost all those with PalmOS liked it. I really don't have much confidence in MS at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Given that RIM has announced they will be migrating their phones to a QNX based system, I expect the growth in the BB App World to slow to almost zero. HP has a similar problem having killed off Mojo.

OTOH Apple now has 100,000 iPad apps in its app store. That's more than all of the smartphone platforms except Android and iPhone. The other tablet plaforms have barely any apps at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You probably weren't a victim of Windows Mobile 6. When I had my Palm Treo I had a choice of Palm OS or Windows Mobile. Almost everyone who picked the windows mobile os hated it. Almost all those with PalmOS liked it. I really don't have much confidence in MS at all.
    That experience is not so relevant right now. Windows Phone 7 is as different from the Windows version on the Treo as webOS is from the old Palm OS. Whether or not you like WP7 there little doubt that Microsoft is in the game.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Windows Phone 7 is a good OS.

I like my Pre 2, but I like the way Microsoft worked these last years.
    Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7 are very fine products.
    I am very confident in MS too. I think people overreact when they hear somebody saying "I like microsoft" for personal political issues.

Btw I had both an Ipaq with Windows Mobile 6, and an HP palm with Windows Mobile 6.5.
    They were not so bad ... they had some little issues, but I am talking about products 3-4 years old now ...
    Phones concept has changed, do not make the mistake to compare today's results with the past ones.

Free to think different , of course.
    That's why I just paid for an LG Optimus 7, as a gift for my girlfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Brain,

Not picking a fight, but I'm curious why you have more confidence in Microsoft? They only thing they have has success in without first have a lock on the market in recent years is the X-box. And of course, being Microsoft, they try to tie all subsequent products to the X-Box bandwagon.

I saw a lot of similar post about RIM when the Playbook was announced, despite the fact that their only success in recent years was in markets where they had a stranglehold.
    I'm not Brain Mantis but I'm pretty high on WP7 too. Part of it is because Mango looks absolutely fantastic. Part of it is because I like their strategy of setting a minimum specification level for all OEMs so you know you're getting a consistent experience no matter which WP7 phone you buy.

But most of it is because I think Microsoft has all the right pieces to create an ecosystem that matches up well against Apple and Google (and even surpasses them in some aspects). Almost everyone I know that has used a Zune raves about the Zune Marketplace -- a flat rate, subscription-based, all you can eat model for discovery and acquiring music is just nice to have. Xbox Live is the best social gaming network available. I haven't even looked at Office 365 but the concept alone is pretty interesting (and appealing since the licensing is so inexpensive). The app market has been exploding to the point where it seems Microsoft hits new milestones every month. Their deal with Nokia is going to result in a variety of well-designed handsets that feature some of the things Nokia does better than any other OEM (like high quality cameras).

It's just a very interesting platform. I don't know if it will be successful in the long run because the mobile market is so weird but Microsoft is definitely doing all the right things to create a viable alternative to iOS and Android phones.
    gmlongo and Spade like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm not Brain Mantis but I'm pretty high on WP7 too. Part of it is because Mango looks absolutely fantastic. Part of it is because I like their strategy of setting a minimum specification level for all OEMs so you know you're getting a consistent experience no matter which WP7 phone you buy.
    Appreciate the thoughtful and reasonable reply.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  15.    #15  
    I have to agree with the other posters. I have more confidence in WP7 than webOS because, although WP7 is still small, it is experiencing significantly greater growth than webOS at the moment. 25K apps already and it's not even a year yet, while webOS has two years with 7K apps to show for it.

I won't knock the new windows mobile OS, but the general public goes by what they have learned in the past. MS has to recover from a somewhat damaged reputation from past iterations of mobile OS's. Apple right now has most of the mindshare, along with Android. WebOS is known for it's good OS but put on poor hardware. I see it as a major uphill battle for MS.
  17.    #17  
    Certainly it will be a major uphill battle for anyone who wants to take on Apple and Google. It will be a major uphill battle for RIM to come back. It will be a major uphill battle for webOS to finally take off. But for the moment, it looks like Windows Phone is having an easier time than webOS in terms of consumer support and developer support.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    HP vs Microsoft in developer support. I would go with Microsoft. They probably have the most dev support out of any company because they are Microsoft. They are known for the amazing Visual Studio, Express editions and full, Expression studio suite, etc. A phone months ago, Windows Phone 7 had 36,000 REGISTERED developers(99 bucks paid) and they are moving at 1200 devs per week. That's from June 1. If it hasn't accelerated any faster(and I doubt it) it probably is over 41,000 so far. Last July, Android only had over 35000.

No stopping them now. I hope HP gets to work. They've been looking promising on the Touchpad, now I want to see some acceleration going on for the entire Catalog.
    Nappy pretty much covered what i was thinking.

Btw, there was a pretty big following for Windows Mobile...i know a lot of people here (being long time Palm OS fans) aren't fans of Windows Mobile, and that includes me, but it didn't stop it from being pretty successful all things considered.

But windows phone has zero similarity and completely different approach. Being an Xbox and Zune user having this ecosystem that MS has just seems really good. I'll tell you one thing, as an Android user, i love how the google apps works flawlessly compared to other platforms....i'm glad that if i choose to go to Windows Phone i can count on MS's "apps" (they are all built into the OS for the most part) to be just as good...and from the Mango previews...they are.

Apple and WebOS are in this position where they depend on Google and MS to make apps for their device...and we saw what happened with Google Maps on WebOS. Hopefully Bing Maps will be better for them (already appears so).
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I hate to say it, but this is why I traded in my Pre- for a Nexus S. T...apps are more important. I can just do more with my android device. Its not as easy, as intuitive, as seamless...but none of that matters.
    yeah i noticed 25k apps too. wow. I'm sure it's got tons of crap apps like every catalog, including webos but it's still impressive that they have apps that webos still doesn't and they've been around a much shorter time.

I'm in a similar mindset. I want some major apps for my phone and that among other things largely will influence my next phone purchase. But i think one big issue webos has is it may have guys doing homebrew and small independant apps that do easy stuff. Unfortunately i care very little about the huge majority of those apps. What i miss is the bigger more ambitions apps or the stuff connected to a major company. Example, there is a touchpad app request thread. I listed like 90+ apps that people requested but i guess for some reason most can't get made by anyone other then the actual company. Like can homebrew make a streaming app, or the cnn app, etc? I mean the actual app not just an app that list cnn articles, but the updates, videos, alerts ect? That may not be possible. i'm not a developer so i know concern myself with those details most of the time. But if like the starbucks app can only be done by starbucks then the lack of support from the bigger companies is an issue that homebrew or the smaller developers can solve. If whatever i wrote even makes sense to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Brain,

Not picking a fight, but I'm curious why you have more confidence in Microsoft?
    To me what they have going for them is as a licensed OS they have tons more handsets coming into the market. i actually don't like WP7 much but i think their power is an existing history of selling phones to business and lots of hardware in the market (kinda like android) which will probably be inciting to developers because it means many more people to sell apps to relative to platforms like WebOS. I think it's hard for webos because it's always only releasing one or two phones that appeal to certain people and the other guys are releasing 20 phones in various forms appealing to a wide range of people.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast