Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    but the general public goes by what they have learned in the past. MS has to recover from a somewhat damaged reputation from past iterations of mobile OS's. Apple right now has most of the mindshare, along with Android. WebOS is known for it's good OS but put on poor hardware. I see it as a major uphill battle for MS.
    i think there is a very credible argument that Microsoft's rep is pretty good, xbox, office, windows 7, and i didn't like the old windows mobile O.S. personally, but i think it still had lots of buyers (could be wrong). But i think if people go by the past there are a whole lot of people that go, "Palm? the guys that made pilots ten years ago?" and "HP? the guys that make bad computers and printers?" Not to mention i think the general public knows nothing about webos. The people with opinions are the much smaller tech community. So microsoft may have an uphill battle but i think, whether it's hp or the Palm name, their rep gives them a huge uphill battle too.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    yeah i noticed 25k apps too. wow. I'm sure it's got tons of crap apps like every catalog, including webos but it's still impressive that they have apps that webos still doesn't and they've been around a much shorter time.

I'm in a similar mindset. I want some major apps for my phone and that among other things largely will influence my next phone purchase. But i think one big issue webos has is it may have guys doing homebrew and small independant apps that do easy stuff. Unfortunately i care very little about the huge majority of those apps. What i miss is the bigger more ambitions apps or the stuff connected to a major company. Example, there is a touchpad app request thread. I listed like 90+ apps that people requested but i guess for some reason most can't get made by anyone other then the actual company. Like can homebrew make a streaming app, or the cnn app, etc? I mean the actual app not just an app that list cnn articles, but the updates, videos, alerts ect? That may not be possible. i'm not a developer so i know concern myself with those details most of the time. But if like the starbucks app can only be done by starbucks then the lack of support from the bigger companies is an issue that homebrew or the smaller developers can solve. If whatever i wrote even makes sense to anyone.

To me what they have going for them is as a licensed OS they have tons more handsets coming into the market. i actually don't like WP7 much but i think their power is an existing history of selling phones to business and lots of hardware in the market (kinda like android) which will probably be inciting to developers because it means many more people to sell apps to relative to platforms like WebOS. I think it's hard for webos because it's always only releasing one or two phones that appeal to certain people and the other guys are releasing 20 phones in various forms appealing to a wide range of people.
    Whats crazy on your point on apps is Windows Phone 7 doesn't have "copy cat" apps really...meaning, people don't really just port their app over from iOS/Android since the UI is so different.

I think developers actually care what Windows Phone is doing....i know I do...we've become too "app launching" dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Whats crazy on your point on apps is Windows Phone 7 doesn't have "copy cat" apps really...meaning, people don't really just port their app over from iOS/Android since the UI is so different.

I think developers actually care what Windows Phone is doing....i know I do...we've become too "app launching" dependent.
    well i know little about the development stuff. but i've heard wp7 is easy to develop for too. that could be an issue too. But honestly i don't really care about that stuff. you either have the apps i want or don't. I couldn't care less about why you do or don't.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    What I see happening for WP7 is the app explosion. Same explosion that Android had and the same one that the iPhone had. I think that the app explosion will happen with the Mango update and will start pushing out bunches of things. If developers can push out 25,000 apps(now 25,500) with a limited amount of APIs(No real socket API, No direct camera access, etc.) they will hit 50,000 or 75,000 quicker than expected with these 1500 new APIs.

Let's hope HP can get something going. Remember, WP7 started off with just under 800 apps. HP is moving at a snails pace. MS got developer stuff rolling even before the OS was out and was actively doing demos over time to create some hype. HP is a huge company and if they don't start convincing developers, they will not succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Brain,

Not picking a fight, but I'm curious why you have more confidence in Microsoft? They only thing they have has success in without first have a lock on the market in recent years is the X-box. And of course, being Microsoft, they try to tie all subsequent products to the X-Box bandwagon.

I saw a lot of similar post about RIM when the Playbook was announced, despite the fact that their only success in recent years was in markets where they had a stranglehold.
    They have my confidence because they've shown a more promising and more intriguing future with their product than HP has with theirs.

Like it was said above, Mango does look spectacular.
    I will say...and i'm surprised i'm saying this....even if WebOS was more successful and supported more, I still would be very intrigued by WP7. I dunno...maybe because its different than what everyone else is doing that i'm so interested by it.

I'm also an xbox and zune uesr so its perfect for my music/gaming needs. Plus the game support already looks more consistent than androids. And I still really like my Evo....just Wp7 looks very very good.

I can understand why some don't like the UI however.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12