1.    #1  
    I am confirming that Datavision in NYC has the NX60 (no camera) for sale @ a price of $499.99. They are expecting the NX70 (has built-in camera) next week.

I wasn't all that impressed at first, being spoiled by my NR70v. I held my NR clie next to the NX60 and they basically look the same, except the compact flash slot makes the NX60 is a little thicker. The case to the NX60 felt a little gritty, maybe a cheaper plastic? or to distinguish it from the NR devices. The displays between them are identical. The NR and NX series have the best pda screens around. Was it faster? Yes it is faster and if I were able to play with it more I would have been able to describe how much faster. OS 5 for the most part looks the same.

I was about to put it down when I noticed the "Clie Demo" icon. My dropped because here on this little device was Macromedia Flash!!! A Palm device running Flash!! About dam time! Yes I tell the truth. The Latest Clie Demo is running in Flash. Think of the possibilities, now a palm pda can be highly interactive in games, forms, maybe even the interface as well. The one thing SONY really needs improve is the keyboard. They should adopt the Blackberry styled keyboard.

I am waiting to play with the NX70 before I decide to upgrade or not, but this is a another sweet device.

GO SONY!!
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    WOW... Flash!!! It will play fully interactive Flash movies/games/etc.. ??? I make Flash games/greeting cards/web sites for a software company and this would be really cool to be able to play what I make with full interactivity on a handheld... how cool.
  3.    #3  
    not only does it run flash animations, but the video playback has got to be the best yet that I have seen on any PDA. The video and Audio is awesome!! This is what I expected from an ARM based Palm.
    -Mikedemo
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by eric2002
    WOW... Flash!!! It will play fully interactive Flash movies/games/etc.. ??? I make Flash games/greeting cards/web sites for a software company and this would be really cool to be able to play what I make with full interactivity on a handheld... how cool.
    The NX70v comes with a flash player that can play standard flash files. The only issue is sound, but the animation runs fine. I'm guessing that theres a special export setting in flash for it to work.

Just drag the .swf file to your MemoryStick in the Folder below

PALM\PROGRAMS\MMFlash

then run the flash player and enjoy. Make sure to keep a healthy amount of internal ram free.

PS. Anybody know why theres no sound? The Zylo.swf (free game from Sony) plays audio and the others don't?
    -Mikedemo
    hmmm, not sure why one file would play w/ sound and another wouldn't unless of course the other file had no sound. Assuming it did have sound, there aren't any controls I can think of that would make sound play in one movie and not another. The only thing I can guess is maybe the Sony device can only handle up to a certain sound quality (the kbps rate), if the Flash movie has a higher rate than the Sony device can handle no sound may be the result. Thus the Flash movie or game you have that came with the Sony was made with a sound level that the Sony device could handle. Without having the Sony device (a little above my budget with property taxes hitting me right now)! there is not much I could do to test this theory. If you have Flash you may want to do an experiment of this by exporting a SWF at a low sound kbps level and see if it plays with sound? Keep increasing until it doesn't play the sound. This may not be the answer, but it's the only thing I can think of... ??? Keep us updated on what you find.
  6.    #6  
    OK I've tested a bunch of animations from http://www.joecartoon.com/pages/home/ and http://www.wired.com/animation/

They all play as long as I have enough memory.(this is awesome)

The only draw back is no audio unless the .swf was optimized for playback on a PDA I guess. It might have to do with the audio compressing codec used.

Can't wait for more content

enjoy

BTW: Eric, even little menu items I was able to rip from sites work. I see a lot of possiblities for flash creators. I use flash a bit. I plan to find out how Sony got audio in their game.
    -Mikedemo
  7. cml
    perhaps this may be the Visor II we've been looking for. It accepts a Sony WiFi card for wireless net surfing (perhaps even with flash)... and has a built in audio recorder and mp3 player...

and supports all of the PalmOS apps!

- cml
    Last edited by cml; 10/30/2002 at 07:51 PM.
    Man...haha, these new SONYs all sound sooo kool! I feel so...old, having a Visor Deluxe, haha. It all sounds good though, but I'll have to wait another 2 years or so, when I go off to college, when I'll buy a new SONY PDA. Whatever it is they got out then

I'll have to survive on the Visor Deluxe and IBM z50 for now...Haha, between the two of them...I think I can do everything the new SONYs can...sort of...haha
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  9.    #9  
    I have the NX70v and it is an awesome device. Just started playing with the Voice memo recorder and the video capturing capabilities. This Palm OS device can hold its own against a PPC now.

Things are getting heated now.
    -Mikedemo
  10. cml
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    ...I'll have to survive on the Visor Deluxe and IBM z50 for now...Haha, between the two of them...I think I can do everything the new SONYs can...sort of...haha
    feel the same way. and college for me is still 3 years off... I guess my Neo will have to stick through 'til then if the screen doesn't crack like my previous PDA did...

looked up workpad z50... CE hybrid laptop? Anything like those PSION clamshells with the chiclet keyboard?

- cml
    Originally posted by cml

feel the same way. and college for me is still 3 years off... I guess my Neo will have to stick through 'til then if the screen doesn't crack like my previous PDA did...

looked up workpad z50... CE hybrid laptop? Anything like those PSION clamshells with the chiclet keyboard?

- cml
    Least the Neo has rechargable batteries, I did a mod, and I have rechargables, but they're not that great, and they do need replacing every so often. Visor is a good unit, if you take care of it, she'll serve you well

As for the IBM z50, it's a WinCE Handheld PC. It looks just like a subnotebook, people always mistake it for one when they ask me about it. The keyboard is awesome, 95% standard size, and we all know IBM makes the best keyboards around. I used to use a Psion Revo, and the keyboard is nothing like it, its way better. Its just like any IBM keyboard out there. It also has a Trackpoint for a pointing device and it's great too. Its basically a stripped down notebook. I only need it for a few purposes, so its good. Check eBay for more info, I got mine with a 160 MB CF Card for $180 Reallie good deal...I got lucky
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by eric2002
    . . . . If you have Flash you may want to do an experiment of this by exporting a SWF at a low sound kbps level and see if it plays with sound? Keep increasing until it doesn't play the sound. This may not be the answer, but it's the only thing I can think of... ??? Keep us updated on what you find.

I found a popular animation that plays well and has all of it audio intact.

http://hackernetwork.bla-bla.com/flash/x3.swf

Run great evn in the widescreen fortmat. (480x320)
    -Mikedemo