Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Apple will be releasing two new iPhones this September, says Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore in a note this morning.

It will release the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 4S, a "mid-range" prepaid smartphone priced at $350. The data plans would work similarly to the iPad. Users could sign up and pay for what they need when they need it.

"With Nokia and RIMM struggling, the time is right for Apple to aggressively penetrate the mid range smart-phone market," says Whitmore.
    If Whitmore's report is accurate it would confirm a lot of rumors we've heard this year around the iPhone.

Since February reports have mentioned a cheaper iPhone to expand Apple's market and fend off the rapid growth of Android. We've also read conflicting reports about whether or not Apple is releasing a redesigned phone for iPhone 5 or just a mild internal upgrade producing a faster version of the iPhone 4.

Source
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Apple will be releasing two new iPhones this September, says Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore in a note this morning.

It will release the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 4S, a "mid-range" prepaid smartphone priced at $350. The data plans would work similarly to the iPad. Users could sign up and pay for what they need when they need it.

"With Nokia and RIMM struggling, the time is right for Apple to aggressively penetrate the mid range smart-phone market," says Whitmore.
    If Whitmore's report is accurate it would confirm a lot of rumors we've heard this year around the iPhone.

Since February reports have mentioned a cheaper iPhone to expand Apple's market and fend off the rapid growth of Android. We've also read conflicting reports about whether or not Apple is releasing a redesigned phone for iPhone 5 or just a mild internal upgrade producing a faster version of the iPhone 4.

Source
    BUT they will still be running iOS. Poor Apple!
    Yep - Apple will finally start losing share to WebOS.
    Apple should just bow out gracefully and not even release a new iPhone.
    This would actually be a brilliant move. If they launched a prepaid iPhone on all major US carriers, this would be huge.

Also, webOS will not likely be taking a lot of iOS share. More likely Android. iOS fans will likely stick with it regardless. WebOS could use some of that loyalty.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    It is a very smart move by Apple. The cheaper device will sell out in the emerging markets as well as in the Prepaid US market.
    It would seriously force Android handset prices to drop and in turn HP Veer price will also drop.
    it's good for everyone. It's funny how Apple was known to be overpriced computer company. Now they set the price point. Once Apple sells cheap prepaid phone, everyone else has to follow.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    it's good for everyone. It's funny how Apple was known to be overpriced computer company. Now they set the price point. Once Apple sells cheap prepaid phone, everyone else has to follow.
    Everyone else has to price lower than Apple because Apple product carry a premium, which other companies product don't, so a normal consumer will not pay the same amount of money to buy a HTC(no disrespect to HTC) product then to buy an Apple product.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    lol at people who think at this point in the game with a move by apple like this webos will be able to grab market share. this is just worse news for us. But rumours always go around like this so i take this for a grain of salt. Pre 3's pricepoint is gonna have to be low low low to cover apples premium.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    lol at people who think at this point in the game with a move by apple like this webos will be able to grab market share. this is just worse news for us. But rumours always go around like this so i take this for a grain of salt. Pre 3's pricepoint is gonna have to be low low low to cover apples premium.
    I totally agree with you on this point. Apple are smart and they want to target the emerging market like India, people here will pay around $400(18k Indian rupee) to buy an Apple device.
    This strategy of Apple will have the same effect that happened to the competition in the Tablet market,Lower the price point of your high end device or perish.
    Cheaper version, or only one version, iOS5 is nice. I can't see many advantages anymore with webOS... Don't get me wrong, I'm still using and trying. Just switched carriers to get two Veers, and will try Pre3 from day 1. But Veer already disappoints with so many bugs, and I'm saddened that many homebrew tweaks aren't available for it. Its functionality is actually much diminished from my Pre- on Sprint. How could they hold so long for release and STILL not get it right the first time?
    Advantage of swiching to AT&T is that if I'm not convinced with new Pre3, I can move to iPhone? and with iOS5 have just about everything I had on the Pre, built in. (A close friend is a dev and has the Beta, trust me, it's quite amazing. I DIDN'T say magic.)
    Please, HP, keep the loyals by getting it right. It's embarrassing to rave to others about your "superior" OS but then have a fail when they ask to see 9 of 10 features that 99% of all current smartphones have.
    =(

I guess this is the day we write off every other cell phone company in existence. Apple should just buy Verizon and Sprint and AT&T, that way there can only be one cell phone that everyone in the world uses.

Then we can rename 'Earth' to 'Soviet Russia'.

In Soviet Russia, cell phones make Apple!

---I don't know, disregard this post.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

cobrakon likes this.
    I was being sarcastic -)
    Veer will outsell mini-iPhone 2:1
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Veer will outsell mini-iPhone 2:1
    No disrespect, man, but I want some of whatever you're smoking.
    Really though, if anyone has ever used prepaid data on the iPad, you can see how this would be a big deal if it comes to fruition. A contract-free iPhone with the same capabilities as a traditional iPhone is an incredibly attractive proposition.

Imagine if this replaced the iPod touch in Apple's fall lineup.
    Last edited by nappy; 06/27/2011 at 04:10 PM.
    And here is the voice of reason:

http://m.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06...nes-september/

Seems to me that people here at PC are very prone to wild rumors (has anyone even seen that slab run webOS? No? Oh...)

Remember, this is just some guy's speculation that everyone is passing off as a bonafide rumor. What track record does he have for us to believe him? He is just saying that it makes sense for Apple to release two iPhones, and now everyone is saying this will happen.

Besides, Apple will slash the price on the iPhone 4 anyway once iPhone 5 comes, so why make another iPhone 4?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    And here is the voice of reason:

Two iPhones in September? Don

Seems to me that people here at PC are very prone to wild rumors (has anyone even seen that slab run webOS? No? Oh...)

Remember, this is just some guy's speculation that everyone is passing off as a bonafide rumor. What track record does he have for us to believe him? He is just saying that it makes sense for Apple to release two iPhones, and now everyone is saying this will happen.

Besides, Apple will slash the price on the iPhone 4 anyway once iPhone 5 comes, so why make another iPhone 4?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

So they can get into and inside android.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I agree that this is a pretty wild rumor but it's one that makes sense when you consider the conflicting reports of what the next iPhone is going to be and Apple stealthily starting to sell unlocked iPhones in their stores.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I would kill for a pre-paid webos phone!! Ok, maybe kill is too strong a word...but I would be really pumped. I think that would be a great way to spreead the gospel of webos!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast