Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    what exactly do you all mean by prepaid?? is this some special us market consequence to exist as concept?

for me prepaid us just a certain way of billing.
    why would i need a special built phone for doing so?

then there is the difference between locked and unlocked phones, and there is the practice of selling prepaid phones locked at a lower price, but whenever i buy a phone within a contract that asures the company that i will pay the whole value (or more) down the line or all at once there is no reason to lock it, its mine, i payed for it.

iphones can be bought from an run on many carriers now, why should they still lock it? and even if they do (i am not really up to date but i know they sell them all over the place so exlusivity is long gone) locked or unlocked does not need to be an individual phone release, right? its just a setup of the software.

hmmm
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    what exactly do you all mean by prepaid?? is this some special us market consequence to exist as concept?

for me prepaid us just a certain way of billing.
    why would i need a special built phone for doing so?

then there is the difference between locked and unlocked phones, and there is the practice of selling prepaid phones locked at a lower price, but whenever i buy a phone within a contract that asures the company that i will pay the whole value (or more) down the line or all at once there is no reason to lock it, its mine, i payed for it.

iphones can be bought from an run on many carriers now, why should they still lock it? and even if they do (i am not really up to date but i know they sell them all over the place so exlusivity is long gone) locked or unlocked does not need to be an individual phone release, right? its just a setup of the software.

hmmm
    The prepaid iPhone will be mostly targeted for the emerging market like China and India, in both these market consumer have to pay the full price of the device upfront so it will be a win win situation for both Apple and the consumer.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Webos should have tried to penetrate prepaid a while ago, I always thought it was a great idea. Anyways going prepaid these days is pretty smart, if you're local and don't travel alot and for alot of people that makes great sense.

1. ATT/Verizon and Sprint are all 90 after taxes with a individual plan + 200 to 350 ETF fee if you cancel, going prepaid is smart for people who just live in a certain area and are most there year round + lesser bills and no restrictions.

I've always wondered why Palm didn't try to get the Pre + on some prepaid carriers, even to take the hit is better than getting crushed contract by superior phones.

Prepaid phones are pretty garbage right now, Palm wouldnt have done a great job there if they were able to get on.

If Apple builds a cheaper 3gs like phone with let's say a 3.2 screen, 500mhz processor and 512mb ram it could be game over, even it isn't able to download all the programs it would still sell like hotcakes.

Prepaid buyers are usually teens and people in financial hardships from what I see, Apple is going after them and that's a good idea.

RIM still sells the 8330 and 8530 on prepaid and they sell why regardless of the fact that they're horrible phones for entertainment purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    The prepaid iPhone will be mostly targeted for the emerging market like China and India, in both these market consumer have to pay the full price of the device upfront so it will be a win win situation for both Apple and the consumer.
    prepaid is actually a major growth area in the United States. Post paid subscriber growth has slowed since, i think 2008, while prepaid subscribers in the u.s. has grown like 50%. It's why Sprint bought Virgin and Boost. Less profitable per customer but it's got more subscriber growth. It was a way to add profits to a struggling company. But prepaid phones typically suck and from what i read there is a lack of quality smartphones their too. So even in the U.S. a Prepaid iphone, would be a big deal, it would add quite a bit of people that can't afford at&T type rates or just don't have good enough credit for post paid contracts.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Plus prepaid seems to be the only ones that are still offering unlimited data!
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    =(

I guess this is the day we write off every other cell phone company in existence. Apple should just buy Verizon and Sprint and AT&T, that way there can only be one cell phone that everyone in the world uses.

Then we can rename 'Earth' to 'Soviet Russia'.

In Soviet Russia, cell phones make Apple!

---I don't know, disregard this post.
    No, no, no...you got it wrong. Here:

In USA, corporation TELL you vich phone to buy. You accept, no question. You do not ask of missing feature, corporation say, not need
    Fixed.
    i came across this today too. it says Sprint added 1 million prepaid subscribers from jan-march Sprint boosts subscriber count with cheaper services :: Editor's Blog at WRAL Tech Wire

but it's more evidence that these phone companies see some benefit to getting prepaid subscribers and maybe phone makers like apple want to capitalize.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    KAPS likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12