1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This article is exactly why I think HP was right to make and market the Veer....everyone has different needs...Often the tech reviewers see it thru their own eyes instead of what the public needs or wants. I didn't want the Veer either until another member of these boards suggested that I get the Veer & the Pre3 and move a SIM card back and forth for times when I am going out and don't have room for a larger phone.

Please us e the link to see the rest of this article.

take care,

Jay

A "Mini-iPhone" Is Now Considered "Critical" For Apple To Beat Android
    Jay Yarow | Jun. 21, 2011, 9:23 AM

A "Mini-iPhone" Is Now Considered "Critical" For Apple To Beat Android

If Apple wants to claim more smartphone marketshare it has to introduce a "mini-iPhone" says Oppenheimer analyst Ittai Kidron in a note this morning.

Kidron calls the mini-iPhone "critical" for Apple and says, "Simply put, $600 iPhone* expansion opportunities are good, but the opportunities are much greater with a complementary mini-iPhone ~$300. We believe this price-point can be met, allowing Apple to attack the midrange and extend its emerging/prepaid market reach."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, to give a phone low ratings because u dont like a size is extremly subjective....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    iphone has a cheap alternative already (3gs) and I have never heard some one say the iphone is to big, but I have heard them say it is not big enough.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yeah, to give a phone low ratings because u dont like a size is extremly subjective....
    Hi,
    True everyone has different needs......I don't wear a suit much, I didn't have to when I was still working...after all I dealt in Horticulture not exactly easy to do in a 3 piece suit....however when I was still living in NYC, my friends and I did go to the theater at least once week, Lincoln center, fund raisers etc...at times like that a large phone is a pain...that's why I was thinking of 2 phones...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Friend of mine just got a large screen android phone, his number one complaint about his smartphone, TOO BIG!
    Maybe your friend should have gotten a smaller screen android phone? They make those too lol.

It doesn't have to be mini, it has to be cheap and available on every carrier. 3.5" is as small as a touch screen should be.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    the person to argue with is the analyst that says Apple needs to deliver a small/cheap phone.

I doubt he'd have written that if he didn't have an indication that Apple is planning something. Maybe that's what the iphone5 will be...

iphone nano
    iphone mini
    iphone shuffle
    etc.
    You may want to check the number of 2.8-3.2 inch touchscreen phones. The population of websites like this mostly prefer big black bricks, but a lot of the phone buying public like phones that don't require a backpack to carry!
    Cheaper than 49.99? I think apples strat to keep selling last gen products is ingenious. ifans get the glory of owning an iPhone, but do not have to pay the full price. Meanwhile Apple can buy in larger quantities (is it even possible at this point) and have a higher profit margin. Just cause he is an analyst does not make him right. Now if Apple does it then it will be magical so my aforementioned points will be worthless.

Apple has never been known to give something away for free, but they have learned the lesson of subsidized prices from iTunes hence why they sell the ipad for a competitive price and swallow up 30%? from the devs and whatever their kickback is from the music.
    that is a return subsidized by the phone company. Its not a $49 phone any more than the Veer is free.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, i remember why nokia got so pop back in the days, it was because they were able to make the most sleek and smallest brick phones. i think if HP can do that with the veer, it will give people a natural progression.

as a teen size is important because all u really want to to is text and search for cheap products to buy or find theaters and movie times near you.

as u grow u need to look at docs and type email. so ure needs change and so should ure phone. it doesnt make the phone better or worst, just different to ure needs. most of these techies think they need a 4.5 inch screen and a 10 inch tablet with 4g that sux ure batteries dry by the middle of the day....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    If Apple puts out an "iPhone-Mini", it will sell like hotcakes, I can guarantee you, and its not because there is a serious and huge market for such a device - its because, right now, consumers are pretty much in love with anything Apple puts out (not meant as a insult to Apple or their products, in any way - its really just the fickle nature of the consuming public.. Lexus has the same effect in the auto industry).

BUT, I will say this, as well:

If Apple does introduce an "iPhone-Mini" (I want royalties from Apple if they use that name, I said it first, here, and you are all my witnesses!), then I'd venture to speculate that the Veer sales will take off like a bullet out of the barrel of a gun, as well.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Cheaper than 49.99? I think apples strat to keep selling last gen products is ingenious. ifans get the glory of owning an iPhone, but do not have to pay the full price. Meanwhile Apple can buy in larger quantities (is it even possible at this point) and have a higher profit margin. Just cause he is an analyst does not make him right. Now if Apple does it then it will be magical so my aforementioned points will be worthless.

Apple has never been known to give something away for free, but they have learned the lesson of subsidized prices from iTunes hence why they sell the ipad for a competitive price and swallow up 30%? from the devs and whatever their kickback is from the music.
    On contract. Now if we were looking at a $150 iPhone for prepaid service, then they'd be set.
  14.    #14  
    Hi all,

There is another thread going, about fold up roll up screens. HP has held a number of patents for fold up screens and Palm held a number of them for roll up screens. That tech is just about in the here and now. The cost of deploying this tech is going to defrayed by the US Army. The army has hired HP to develop a hand held device with roll up or fold up screens.

The roll out of this device is in next two or so years...What the exact use of the device is classified. However, since we already have flexible displays such as OLED it is possible that the small/large phone issue will become moot in the near future.

We therefore can expect these phones to also be lighter and use batteries more sparingly, (I may be wrong and please correct me, but I think I had read that OLED's don't need back lighting as smartphone screens now need. The amount of power used in back lighting kills your battery awfully fast). I would think they will also be far lighter since we wouldn't need Gorilla glass etc....

take care,

Jay