Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 121
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, so many people in this thread are saying don't get the 3D wait for the Galaxy S2, or get the Nexus S, or whatever.

    I was in your shoes a year ago. Wait for the Pre2 to come to Sprint or the Pre3, or whatever. I jumped and went to an EVO. Is it different that the Pre (android different than webOS)? Of course. Is it better? Yes. Is it worse? Yes. Both OSes have their own pros and cons. To me this is a really individual decision -- you can't allow the community to make it for you.

    Many people here just <<mod delete>> moan about Android being inferior and think anything that is not HP or webOS is crap. You should go an ask this very same question on Android Central in the EVO 3D forum and see what kind of response you get there. You will also encounter many other people who are switching from the webOS device to the 3D (like I found when I switched to the EVO).

    You will have to decide is it better to switch and be using a new device now, or wait for something that might possibly never come. The advantage of switching now is that you get that shiny new device (of whatever OS), with the option of coming back to webOS after 12 - 22 months (depending on your premier status). The disadvantage of waiting is 12 months from now you still may not see a webOS device on Sprint. Even if the Pre 3 (or whatever) comes to Sprint within the next 6 months there will still be a lack of major apps, etc. If it comes to Sprint and everywhere else and is wildly successful then after you are done with your contract for you new shiny device and come back to webOS then you will be coming back to a platform that has lots of developer support and lots of major apps.

    I hope six months from now you feel you made the right decision for you regardless of what decision that is!!
    You make VERY good points. Thank you!

    Are you planning to get the E3D, sticking with the og EVO or getting something else?

    P.S. I did post this question at Android Central and am getting very good responses too!
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/24/2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: language in quoted text
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    You make VERY good points. Thank you!

    Are you planning to get the E3D, sticking with the og EVO or getting something else?

    P.S. I did post this question at Android Central and am getting very good responses too!
    I am sticking with my EVO until at least February (that is when I become Gold and get yearly upgrades). At that point I will evaluate the field and see what is there. Maybe the Pre 3 (or other webOS device) will even be an option. But, even if a webOS device is available then I would be leaning against getting it -- webOS will still be in its infancy of rebirth at that time and it will be too soon to tell what will happen with it in the long run.

    As for the EVO 3D, while I don't see me as having a need at all for 3D, that would not automatically disqualify that phone for me. Even without 3D it seems to be quite an outstanding phone. Personally, I don't think I will ever try a Samsung -- my daughter has an Epic and Samsung seems to like to sell their devices and then move on to the next device and forget about those that they have already sold -- no support, no fixes, etc.

    Good luck!!
  3. xcrico's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #43  
    Just got the EVO 3D today. Solid device. Hardware quality is amazing. Sense makes Android actually usable. Will come back in 2 years, hopefully HP will have stepped it up.
  4. #44  
    just saw the evo 3d. How is anyone impressed? Seriously. All it is is a slightly more powerful evo with a gimic. Huge waste
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    just saw the evo 3d. How is anyone impressed? Seriously. All it is is a slightly more powerful evo with a gimic. Huge waste
    Just stopped by my Sprint Store at lunch to check out the 3D. They had bagels, but not much of a crowd to eat them. I digress.

    The new Sense was actually really nice. The operation between menus felt very smooth. The device also felt better in the hand than the Evo 4G. I took a 3D pic for <<mod delete>> giggles, and it was interesting, but after just a few seconds my head was already slightly dizzy.

    I still don't love Android and battery life is a concern as well, but there is no doubting that this is a very high end phone.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/24/2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: language
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mypreindc View Post
    Just stopped by my Sprint Store at lunch to check out the 3D. They had bagels, but not much of a crowd to eat them. I digress.

    The new Sense was actually really nice. The operation between menus felt very smooth. The device also felt better in the hand than the Evo 4G. I took a 3D pic for <<mod delete>> giggles, and it was interesting, but after just a few seconds my head was already slightly dizzy.

    I still don't love Android and battery life is a concern as well, but there is no doubting that this is a very high end phone.
    Do you like it enough to make the leap?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/24/2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: language in quoted text
  7. #47  
    I made the leap....again (had the Evo and nexus s 4g and returned them both). I figure that in 30 days we should know the state of affairs with the pre3 on sprint. Sadly I wont be leaving sprint (I pay 18 dollars a month for my phone line) so I hope they get the pre3 or the fabled slab device.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Do you like it enough to make the leap?
    No. Still thinking Pre3 or iPhone 5 for me.
  9. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, so many people in this thread are saying don't get the 3D wait for the Galaxy S2, or get the Nexus S, or whatever.

    I was in your shoes a year ago. Wait for the Pre2 to come to Sprint or the Pre3, or whatever. I jumped and went to an EVO. Is it different that the Pre (android different than webOS)? Of course. Is it better? Yes. Is it worse? Yes. Both OSes have their own pros and cons. To me this is a really individual decision -- you can't allow the community to make it for you.

    Many people here just <<mod delete>> moan about Android being inferior and think anything that is not HP or webOS is crap. You should go an ask this very same question on Android Central in the EVO 3D forum and see what kind of response you get there. You will also encounter many other people who are switching from the webOS device to the 3D (like I found when I switched to the EVO).

    You will have to decide is it better to switch and be using a new device now, or wait for something that might possibly never come. The advantage of switching now is that you get that shiny new device (of whatever OS), with the option of coming back to webOS after 12 - 22 months (depending on your premier status). The disadvantage of waiting is 12 months from now you still may not see a webOS device on Sprint. Even if the Pre 3 (or whatever) comes to Sprint within the next 6 months there will still be a lack of major apps, etc. If it comes to Sprint and everywhere else and is wildly successful then after you are done with your contract for you new shiny device and come back to webOS then you will be coming back to a platform that has lots of developer support and lots of major apps.

    I hope six months from now you feel you made the right decision for you regardless of what decision that is!!
    I too switched to the EVO about a year ago. Too many hardware issues with the original Pre. While there are things I certainly miss about WebOS, the Evo has been an outstanding device. Will I consider moving back to WebOS? Absolutely, when the right phone is delivered. I won't be an early adopter of the Pre 3. I learned my lesson with the original Pre. Since I am a Premiere Gold customer with Sprint, I can change my phones, with full discount, every 12 months. So I don't feel trapped.

    If buying the Evo 3D will take your discount away for 24 months, I'd wait and see what happens with the Pre 3. It seems you're really torn, so wait. If you can get a full discount in 12 months, the Evo will be a good phone, and you'll be able to see what issues there are with the Pre 3, or what new devices are coming before you take the plunge. As far as I've seen there still haven't been any annoucements on carriers (just conjecture).

    I would also suggest playing with the Evo before buying it. You could also swing over to evo4gforum.net and see what issues people are having with the new 3D phone.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/24/2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: lanugage in quoted text
  10. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mypreindc View Post
    ...and battery life is a concern as well, but there is no doubting that this is a very high end phone.
    Battery life for almost all (if not all) of the newer "high end" devices seems to be an issue. It has been an issue with the Pre line as well. Most of us have gotten around it with extended bateries, or carrying spare batteries (sorry iPhone users). Most of this all boils down to user patience, and flexibility.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I made the leap....again (had the Evo and nexus s 4g and returned them both). I figure that in 30 days we should know the state of affairs with the pre3 on sprint. Sadly I wont be leaving sprint (I pay 18 dollars a month for my phone line) so I hope they get the pre3 or the fabled slab device.
    Okay... how are you only paying $18/mo?
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Battery life for almost all (if not all) of the newer "high end" devices seems to be an issue. It has been an issue with the Pre line as well. Most of us have gotten around it with extended bateries, or carrying spare batteries (sorry iPhone users). Most of this all boils down to user patience, and flexibility.
    I guess the switch should be a little easier now since all new phones are using standard micro usb ports/cables. I'd HATE to have to buy new wall & car chargers! But I would still have to buy a new case, belt clip, and a spare/extended battery.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I made the leap....again (had the Evo and nexus s 4g and returned them both). I figure that in 30 days we should know the state of affairs with the pre3 on sprint. Sadly I wont be leaving sprint (I pay 18 dollars a month for my phone line) so I hope they get the pre3 or the fabled slab device.
    Why did you switch back to the Pre from the EVO and from the Nexus?
  14. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    ...But I would still have to buy a new case, belt clip, and a spare/extended battery.
    You'd have to do that with the new Pre 3 as well. No getting around it.
  15. #55  
    I switched from my Pre to EVO 3D yesterday. I do miss the WebOS but with no official word of the Pre3 coming to Sprint I went ahead and did it. I will pick up the HP Touchpad when it comes out to satify my WebOS loss.
  16. #56  
    I just got back from our local Sprint store where I spent 30-45 minutes playing with the EVO 3D and Arrive. I was hoping I'd have an "ah ha!" moment in terms of thinking I'd like the OS on one of then.

    I didn't like either. I just could not get use to it in that short time frame. I am too accustomed to the card metaphor and flick to close method of operation. WebOS is just so easy.

    For me, had either phone given me an ah ha moment today, I would have gotten one.

    two things to consider though1) I personally did not like the on screen keyboard. I much preferred the Arrive keypad. (2) had I upgraded, I'd now be subject to the $10 data charge. I want to hold off on that as long as possible.

    in the end, even though my Pre- is dying, I will use it until it simply can't be used any more, or until the Pre3 comes to Sprint. Which ever comes first.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
    I just could not get use to it in that short time frame.
    30 - 45 minutes is not enough time to get accustomed. That is why they have 30 day exchange windows. I too found switching from flicking to back arrow or home button different, but more that -- just different. Any time you change UI metaphors for interaction there is a period of difficulty.

    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
    1) I personally did not like the on screen keyboard. I much preferred the Arrive keypad.
    Honestly this was my biggest worry in moving from my Pre- to my EVO. It took a while and have tried many keyboards, I have now settled on Flex T9 it it works wonderfully, I like not having to flip open a keyboard to respond to a text or email.

    Once again, that is a big difference too -- all the apps (in this case keyboard apps), if you don't like one try another.
  18. #58  
    I could not stop hitting the search button on the first evo with the base of my thumb, and I was hoping for a sprint pre2. This was pre feb 9. Nexus 4g ...the screen was horible in the sun. The processor was 6 moths old at launch. Didn't love android. 4g is bugged. Evo 3d and pre 3 were coming out as well as the fabled slab webos device.
  19. #59  
    5th line on a shared plan that I use 0 minutes of
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
    I just got back from our local Sprint store where I spent 30-45 minutes playing with the EVO 3D and Arrive. I was hoping I'd have an "ah ha!" moment in terms of thinking I'd like the OS on one of then.

    I didn't like either. I just could not get use to it in that short time frame. I am too accustomed to the card metaphor and flick to close method of operation. WebOS is just so easy.
    Mikey is right, its not enough time. You might get a basic feel but thats about it.
    I have to say webOS is one the harder OS' to leave. The other operating systems just don't compare to the ease of webOS once you learn how to use it.

    Honestly, i wouldn't hold my breath for the Pre3 on Sprint. It might just be me, but i have my doubts, I dont think its coming.
    Honestly i think the Arrive would be the easier device to switch to, in terms of getting use to the OS. But it terms of hardware goes, 4G is a huge thing for me. I always came to the conclusion that i was fine with 3G. Until i saw the difference.

    Not to hate on Android, its just not the OS for me. If it were me, I'd find a cheap Pre- or older phone on Craigslist or phone recycle place, to tide me over until the Fall at least.
    Last edited by Rei VI; 06/24/2011 at 08:31 PM.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions