1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is a repost somewhere but this seems like it should be news.
    Linked and Posted below.

All Your Base Are Belong To Us: Apple Granted Touch Screen Patent, Everyone Else Screwed

Apple was granted the holy grail of smartphone patents yesterday: a patent on touch screens.

Thats like owning a patent on water in Africa.

Apple was finally granted US patent number 7966578 nearly three years after filing for it. They've been awarded control over:

[a] computer-implemented method, for use in conjunction with a portable multifunction device with a touch screen display, [that] comprises displaying a portion of page content, including a frame displaying a portion of frame content and also including other content of the page, on the touch screen display.
    If you read that as I did, Apple now has full ownership of the "capacitive multitouch interface," otherwise known as "the input method every smartphone manufacturer worth a damn uses."

Apple essentially can now sue the pants off all its competitors, which is everyone else in the mobile computing industry. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and Nokia are all at Apple's mercy. The large settlement that Apple forked over to Nokia to license certain mobile technologies is going to look like a pitance compared to what Apple will be able to do.

In a worst case scenario Apple could eliminate capacitive touch screens from all their competitors phones, creating a shocking monopoly in the realm of touch interfaces. Or they could license out the technology, and make money off of every phone their competitors sell, and charge a premium at that.

Money may not grow on trees, but with this new patent Apple will likely run out of the trees necessary to print money before this well dries up.
    No. Apple was granted a patent on a method web frame manipulation on multitouch devices. Its a silly thing to patent IMO, but it isn't nearly as broad as the article suggests.

Source: Apple granted patent on webpage scrolling behaviors, media granted patent on crazy | This is my next...
  3.    #3  
    Oh well thats good then. This had me wondering what they would do with it.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Apple granted patent on webpage scrolling behaviors, media granted patent on crazy | This is my next...

Actually, the patent is quite narrow. It only applies to multi-touch affecting only content within one frame of a website without affecting the entire website. Such as zooming in on an embedded Google map without zooming the entire website. Most of the articles on this have misread the patent and/or not posted the entire thing.
    Its still somewhat worrying that something like this could be patented. If one can patent "scrolling within a webframe separately from the rest of the webpage on multitouch devices" (which is essential what this is) what's to stop them from patenting "scrolling on multitouch devices" altogether?

IMO web frames are designed to be manipulated separately from the rest of the page. So apple is patenting an interaction that isn't new. Granted this applies specifically to using two fingers, but it doesn't expand on the behaviors users expect on multitouch device. What if google patented "right clicking on a webframe to present a context sensitive menu specifc to manipulating that webframe separate from the rest of the webpage"? The browser community would be in an uproar because users already expect such behavior.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 06/23/2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Apple take credit for something that's been around for years? No way. Cypress hill smoked pot? Not cypress hill...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    The only use for patents for the consumer benefit is to force innovation. I just wish that all the companies could work together and share ideas as each of them improve on what each other has. I know this is impossible but it would create the best devices and in 5 years from now we would be buying devices that should have been 10 years from now. If only there was world piece... *sigh
    ---Sorta rant over
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Even if they had gotten a patent for multitouch, they're still using unlicensed patents from everyone else (as, incidentally, is everyone else). These days, companies in the tech industry don't file patents to have unique technology, they file patents to have a large patent arsenal at the ready in order to more safely use unlicensed tech by other companies and be able to, if called out, enter cross-licensing agreements.

IIRC, palm (and therefore now HP) still holds the patent on touchscreen telephones with internet access, aka "smartphones".

Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    Apple take credit for something that's been around for years? No way. Cypress hill smoked pot? Not cypress hill...

Snoop Dogg would NEVER!
    But this is new in that Apple not only takes credit for taking an interaction that has been standard for 15 years and applying it to multitouch, but are actually GIVEN that credit.

Doesn't matter. HP's lawyers have just as deep pockets as Apple's. And I hate to break it to Apple, but Palm was the king of the touchscreen for a long time. No Apple patent is going to affect HP in that regard.
    Apple would spend a billion dollars to patent breathing if they thought they could do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Noah View Post
    Apple was granted the holy grail of smartphone patents yesterday: a patent on touch screens.
    No, see the wording in bold:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Noah View Post
    [a] computer-implemented method, for use in conjunction with a portable multifunction device with a touch screen display, [that] comprises displaying a portion of page content, including a frame displaying a portion of frame content and also including other content of the page, on the touch screen display...
    Basically, they patented their specific gestures.
    I think before, when Palm was small and dying, Apple had nothing to gain by challenging them (don't sue someone who is broke, no upside even if you win). But even with HP now owning Palm, if it ever comes to a patent war, Apple has too much to lose:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...chscreens.html (auto dim!!!)
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-sharing.html
    A Look At Palm Hardware Patents That Never Materialized | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net (video conferencing!!!!)
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...aid-using.html (multitasking!!!)

Some have pointed out that companies were bidding on Palm for their patents alone, and not webos.

And even some of the other tablet makers should be fearful:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...cellphone.html
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    ThisIsMyNext explains is really well. Here is a video that they explain quite well.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne