1.    #1  
    Engadget is reporting that:
    HP seeks NFC engineer for 'smartphone and tablet products'

In February, HP announced that Touch-to-share will allow a website link (URL) to be shared between new webOS devices such as a Pre 3 and TouchPad provided both devices are registered to the same user. But much more may be coming for webOS.

HP has place a job opening for a Near Field Communication Engineer in "HP's tablet and smartphone team." Remember that HP became a NFC Sponsor Member in 2006. The January 2009 NFC Peer-to-Peer Standards includes URL sharing and much more:

• Share with other webOS users and other platforms.
    • App hand-off (start on one device and continue from that spot on another)
    • Business card sharing and contact sharing
    • App sharing, photo sharing
    • Music sharing through a cloud service (like HP's expected music service)
    • Electronic Ticketing, Boarding pass, SmartPosters, eCoupons, Keycards, etc.
    • Make a payment like a credit card
    • NFC to initiate Bluetooth connection (game initiation, etc.)
    • NFC to initiate a WiFi connection (tap the router to connect to the network)

For more see the Engadget NFC Primer and the Wikipedia NFC article.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/22/2011 at 10:29 AM.
    I think H/P is always late at finding extra help. I know people think NFC is still infancy, but they could have seen the trend months back and had an engineer for it. Its just like they only recently hired a senior email manager. I hope they have a senior calendar manager too.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Another example of how late H/P would be with other technologies, is bluetooth 3.0, dont know if that will ever come for years. or wifi certification to use wifi for peripherals instead of bluetooth or DLNA. I hope H/P get their game up and think about all these new technologies.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I think H/P is always late at finding extra help. I know people think NFC is still infancy, but they could have seen the trend months back and had an engineer for it. Its just like they only recently hired a senior email manager. I hope they have a senior calendar manager too.
    In fairness, HP became a NFC Sponsor Member in 2006. TTS is in fact using NFC-like features to be able to pass a URL. HP was there in 2009 helping to write those peer-to-peer standards a year before they bought Palm.

For now TTS limits sharing to only URLs between webOS devices and only if they are registered to the same user profile.

We do not know if Inventec is using the NFC chip to initiate TTS in the TouchPad. Inventec has put NFC chips into other products they make. If Inventec is using the $4 NXF chip, then homebrew developers could do almost anything other NFC devices do.

Even if TTS only uses accelerometers as the trigger like Bump, homebrew developers could use the TTS API's to share contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between different users.

Passing a URL is just the beginning. It will be fun to watch as Homebrewer's get the new toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In fairness, HP became a NFC Sponsor Member in 2006. TTS is in fact using NFC-like features to be able to pass a URL. HP was there in 2009 helping to write those peer-to-peer standards a year before they bought Palm.

For now TTS limits sharing to only URLs between webOS devices and only if they are registered to the same user profile.

We do not know if Inventec is using the NFC chip to initiate TTS in the TouchPad. Inventec has put NFC chips into other products they make. If Inventec is using the $4 NXF chip, then homebrew developers could do almost anything other NFC devices do.

Even if TTS only uses accelerometers as the trigger like Bump, homebrew developers could use the TTS API's to share contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between different users.

Passing a URL is just the beginning. It will be fun to watch as Homebrewer's get the new toys.
    I think both NFC and TTS should be there
  6.    #6  
    I think both NFC and TTS should be there
    So far, Touch-to-Share capabilities are a subset of Near Field Communication capabilities.
    Do you know for sure that they have none? Perhaps this is just another one.

I work for an engineering firm. We list adds for draftsmen. That does NOT mean we do not currently have several.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Do you know for sure that they have none? Perhaps this is just another one.

I work for an engineering firm. We list adds for draftsmen. That does NOT mean we do not currently have several.
    true, I also wish H/P add support for bluetooth 3.0 and wifi and DLNA
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Do you know for sure that they have none? Perhaps this is just another one...
    This new NFC engineer is to join a team.

I posted the links showing that HP has been a sponsoring member of NFC since 2006. HP helped design the NFC standards. HP has had NFC engineers for a long time.

So far TTS is just one little piece of NFC. HP can do the rest. They have been working on NFC for years.

That is what gives me such hope that HP can implement the full capabilities of NFC.