Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AppleInsider | Analyst: Android US smartphone share drop to continue

After Google's Android experienced its first loss of market share in a region since 2009 during the March quarter, one analyst believes Apple's iPhone will continue to win back share in the U.S. smartphone market.
    If adding a single U.S. carrier has this kind of affect, what will bringing the iPhone to Sprint/T-Mobile do for its marketshare?
    This is because there were people waiting to get iPhone on other US carriers. All Google needs to do is continue to compete competently and not become Palm or RIM. Get the OS updates out and work with manufacturers and carriers to get updates out.

For consumers, avoid the lower spec Androids for the most part, unless you really can't afford the higher spec ones. Because those are the ones more likely to not get OS updates.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This is because there were people waiting to get iPhone on other US carriers. All Google needs to do is continue to compete competently and not become Palm or RIM. Get the OS updates out and work with manufacturers and carriers to get updates out.

For consumers, avoid the lower spec Androids for the most part, unless you really can't afford the higher spec ones. Because those are the ones more likely to not get OS updates.
    Good points. However, given my own experience (which is purely anecdotal), many people that I know that had Android devices on VZW have since switched to the iPhone, primarily out of frustration or desire for ‘something better.’

Some upgraded from the first Droid, others outright paid full price after having gotten a recent Android device ~4 months ago.
    Frustration and something better? On Verizon?

How do they feel being left out of the newer firmwares until iOS5? While the top line Androids have Gingerbread and some even have LTE. The weird thing is Verizon is the one carrier that gets Android updates out on time. And their Androids are no slouches either.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's called over saturation, so many manufacturers are churning out the SAME os with very slight alterations to the ui and a couple of gimmicks that have never panned out. Specs Specs Specs that haven't shown any real gains for the end user.

Then you have the fact that people have been squeezed into a corner and forced to get android devices and now there are choices! 2009-2010 if you weren't on at&t you could only have blackberry or android (windows was pretty much dead at that point). Now the contracts are up and now that there are many different viable platforms (iOS, WP7, and hopefully the resurgence of Webos) on multiple carrier, we are seeing the true result.

Android is in a race to the bottom, and will end up just like Nokia and even Google realizes it (look what the minimum specs are for the next iteration of android).
    I wonder where the link is for this data. Comscore, Gartner, and others show the opposite trend:

Nielsen: Android trumps iOS on mobile data consumption
    ComScore: Android widens U.S. smartphone OS lead as BlackBerry plunges
    Nielsen: Android leapfrogs iOS in U.S. smartphone share
    Nielsen: Android passes iPhone as most desired smartphone in U.S.

Android's world-wide growth per quarter has been 8%, 7%, 6%, and then 5% in 2011Q1. One geometric prediction could be 4% growth in Q2, then 3%, 2%, 1% topping out at 46% in this winter.

That model would only hold true if the iPhone 5 is not released September 7, and the Within, Function, Attain, Photon, EVO 3D, Sensation, Hercules and 65 other pending Android phones don't get released. Natural trends never follow the same model for long because the causation changes.

Here is the most recent data I can find with links to each dataset:

Android Marketshare Grows; Nokia & BlackBerry Slides Continue

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I wonder where the link is for this data. Comscore, Gartner, and others show the opposite trend:

Nielsen: Android trumps iOS on mobile data consumption
    ComScore: Android widens U.S. smartphone OS lead as BlackBerry plunges
    Nielsen: Android leapfrogs iOS in U.S. smartphone share
    Nielsen: Android passes iPhone as most desired smartphone in U.S.

Android's world-wide growth per quarter has been 8%, 7%, 6%, and then 5% in 2011Q1. One geometric prediction could be 4% growth in Q2, then 3%, 2%, 1% topping out at 46% in this winter.

That model would only hold true if the iPhone 5 is not released September 7, and the Within, Function, Attain, Photon, EVO 3D, Sensation, Hercules and 65 other pending Android phones don't get released. Natural trends never follow the same model for long because the causation changes.

Here is the most recent data I can find with links to each dataset:

According to the related CNN article:

Using IDC data, Wolf shows Apple's (AAPL) share of the U.S. smartphone market gaining 12.3 percentage points to 29.5% in the March quarter while Android's share in the U.S. fell from 52.4% to 49.5% — its first sequential loss ever in any region of the world.
  8.    #8  
    Frustration and something better? On Verizon?

How do they feel being left out of the newer firmwares until iOS5? While the top line Androids have Gingerbread and some even have LTE. The weird thing is Verizon is the one carrier that gets Android updates out on time. And their Androids are no slouches either.
    Left out? What are they missing? I've looked at my cousin's VZW iPhone and, other than third-party AirPlay support for video, they're not missing anything. The VZW 4.2.8 and AT&T 4.3 branches are VERY similar.

As for Android vs. iOS, I think it was an app and reliability (many experienced a lot of crashes) issue for most; they saw the quality difference and decided to make the jump. That's what I've been told by few, not all. I can't speak for the others that that I know have switched and haven't told me why.
    The race to the bottom only exists for the low end Android phones. Or rather, carriers and manufacturers just abandon them, rooting shows they could have been updated. The high end phones are getting updates and features even iPhone may not have until version 6. 4G and built in HDMI out are nothing to sneeze at. Android also has dual mode world phones before iPhone. I don't know why Apple didn't activate that feature into the Verizon iPhone, it's there.

I agree though that there are a lot of Androids and we see now that it may be useless to bother with the lower end ones. Unless staying on 2.2 is OK with you or you can root.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Left out? What are they missing? I've looked at my cousin's VZW iPhone and, other than third-party AirPlay support for video, they're not missing anything. The VZW 4.2.8 and AT&T 4.3 branches are VERY similar.

As for Android vs. iOS, I think it was an app and reliability (many experienced a lot of crashes) issue for most; they saw the quality difference and decided to make the jump. That's what I've been told by few, not all. I can't speak for the others that that I know have switched and haven't told me why.
    On high end Androids with decent RAM and processor, what crashes? Unless the app is badly written. But major apps don't have that issue.

However I do have to say on a limited phone, app crashing is more prevalent. Some apps eat RAM in the background(but they must in order to provide proper notification) and if your phone is crappy to begin with, crashes.

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Specs Specs Specs
    You mentioned Spec's?

I hunted down the IDC data:

IDC - Press Release - prUS22871611

Code:

OS       2011  2015
    Android 38.9% 43.8%
    BlackB  14.2% 13.4%
    Symbian 20.6%  0.1%
    iOS     18.2% 16.9%
    Windows  3.8% 20.3%
    Others   4.3%  5.5%
    So the rest of IDC's numbers are that by 2015 Android tops out and stays in the mid-40's. Apple and BlackBerry decline a bit, and Windows takes over Symbian's market share.

I am skeptical of IDC's premise that Windows will absorb almost all of the Nokia market, I think Apple will get a slice of that. Also, RIM cannot survive it's dual CEO's much longer. There's a reason why dual suns only exist in sci-fi.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/21/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    The race to the bottom only exists for the low end Android phones. Or rather, carriers and manufacturers just abandon them, rooting shows they could have been updated. The high end phones are getting updates and features even iPhone may not have until version 6. 4G and built in HDMI out are nothing to sneeze at. Android also has dual mode world phones before iPhone. I don't know why Apple didn't activate that feature into the Verizon iPhone, it's there.

I agree though that there are a lot of Androids and we see now that it may be useless to bother with the lower end ones. Unless staying on 2.2 is OK with you or you can root.
    hdmi out is something to sneeze at, how many people have evos and how many actually have used it? Hdmi is just like dlna, nice in theory but its not utilized.I will give you 4g is something nice to have, but the battery drain is something that needs to be overcome and the way that tiered data is panning out 4g means nothing is you are on a short leash, infact 4g will probably cause you to go over the cap quickly because it's so fast.

How many of the non tech general public are going to root their phones? Many people want a phone to just work, not have to work to get a phone to work which includes me.

Now with the underpowered android phones that don't perform well and they don't get up dated... Guess who buys those phones? the non-tech general public (which are the majority of phone buyers)! Most of the tech heads and forum posters know to stay far away from these glorified dumbphones now they will end up being scorned and all they see is android and they will be done with it. given the first android devices came on the scene ~2 years ago (in mass availability) this could be a direct cause for the new shift in os adoption
    Note in the chart that two years ago Android had barely a 3% market share, about where Palm is right now. In the US, each contender has gotten just a few years run:

Palm
    BlackBerry
    Apple
    Android
    ______

Could it be that at the 5th epoc you start over?

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    ...Here is the most recent data I can find with links to each dataset:

WHAT?? HDMI out means preview your vids and photos on your TV!! Some people even got their games to work on the TV screen. There's a YouTube vid of some guy playing Angry Birds from the EVO using his TV screen. Not something I'd do every day but it looks like fun once in a while. HDMI out is great for those like me with DSL that can't stream properly. If I have to deal with a cable, so be it. I have lots of cheap HDMI cables around here.

And even non-techies do some research. I know quite a few non-techie professionals who are very happy with Android, but they didn't buy the crap ones. If you have $200-$250 and 2 years of your life(same price range as iPhone with contract), you can get a capable Android that will be updated on Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. AT&T is another story though.

I'd like to see WP7 get some traction though.

16.    #16  
    WHAT?? HDMI out means preview your vids and photos on your TV!! Some people even got their games to work on the TV screen. There's a YouTube vid of some guy playing Angry Birds from the EVO using his TV screen. Not something I'd do every day but it looks like fun once in a while. HDMI out is great for those like me with DSL that can't stream properly. If I have to deal with a cable, so be it. I have lots of cheap HDMI cables around here.

And even non-techies do some research. I know quite a few non-techie professionals who are very happy with Android, but they didn't buy the crap ones. If you have $200-$250 and 2 years of your life(same price range as iPhone with contract), you can get a capable Android that will be updated on Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. AT&T is another story though.

The magic isn't in HDMI output, it's in wireless AirPlay.

Yes, I know that requires MORE hardware (AppleTV) but every person I have seen that witnesses AirPlay's capabilities, their eyes just light up.

Also, AirPlay is a very new technology and devices are JUST now beginning to roll out that implement it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see televisions hit soon that have AirPlay enabled for video that cutout the need for an AppleTV altogether (well, not altogether but for what most people would want/need).
    Unfortunately I don't use cable but slower DSL. HDMI out works better in my case.

Other than the novelty of playing angry birds on a big screen, what's the point? having to root your phone, and take all these extra steps is nonsensical. Previewing a vid? even though the phones shoot hd, the lens does not meet any sort of quality to show on a big screen, rolling shutter and jutter just to name a few defects.

DLNA streams ad-hoc aka locally, so there would be no need to even have a cable modem on actually ( you need a functioning router though). DLNA is far more useful than HDMI IMO.
  19.    #19  
    Unfortunately I don't use cable but slower DSL. HDMI out works better in my case.
    It doesn't require the internet, it works over your LAN (WiFi).
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The magic isn't in HDMI output, it's in wireless AirPlay.

Yes, I know that requires MORE hardware (AppleTV) but every person I have seen that witnesses AirPlay's capabilities, their eyes just light up.

Also, AirPlay is a very new technology and devices are JUST now beginning to roll out that implement it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see televisions hit soon that have AirPlay enabled for video that cutout the need for an AppleTV altogether (well, not altogether but for what most people would want/need).
    Personally I'd go with DLNA, more options for hardware then.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast