Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You don't need to root to get HDMI out if the phone has it built in.

I could copy HD movies to the card then play them through the TV. Although if the TV(or game console) has a USB port and accepts outside media, that solves that problem too.

If you shoot video on your phone, why wouldn't you want to look at it on TV? You have 8MP lenses with plenty of decent effects and quality. Obviously it may not be professional quality, but people are still streaming SD content so...

I tried the media extender on my Xbox, which I think is DLNA based, very slow. I did get a new router so I may try it again though. But I also didn't like leaving my computer running, yuck.

I think I may be sticking with the cord to TV route for a while. Although the particular Android phone I have is supposed to have DLNA so maybe I'll give it yet another try.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Personally I'd go with DLNA, more options for hardware then.
    I'm familiar with DLNA and have tried it in the past, several times, but it's not NEARLY as seamless as AirPlay. Yeah, it's more ubiquitous but I'll take the simplicity and reliability over ubiquity.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It doesn't require the internet, it works over your LAN (WiFi).
    I just checked, yes for protected videos it does require internet. But I wonder if the cord method bypasses that need or will the TV refuse to play it?

And the AppleTV needs to be connected to your TV by HDMI, right? I'd just plug the device itself directly into the TV, provided it will play.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I just checked, yes for protected videos it does require internet. But I wonder if the cord method bypasses that need or will the TV refuse to play it?

And the AppleTV needs to be connected to your TV by HDMI, right? I'd just plug the device itself directly into the TV, provided it will play.
    The content is is still stored and streamed locally, the only thing the internet is required for is probably the DRM check (for your video content that you have rented/purchased) — that doesn't require a large amount of bandwidth.

But I have to say, it's pretty sweet to be anywhere in the house, load up the iPod app on the phone and stream music to any AirPlay-enabled device in the house (tv, speakers in the kitchen, bathroom, etc.) all concurrently or different content on each device.

The same for the TV. Can be inside the photos app, have your photos/videos up on the tv swiping through them, then open up the CNN, or YouTube, or any app that has video in it and throw it on the tv to watch.
    I'm familiar with DLNA and have tried it in the past, several times, but it's not NEARLY as seamless as AirPlay. Yeah, it's more ubiquitous but I'll take the simplicity and reliability over ubiquity.
    I dunno, it seemed pretty simple to me. Start the server, have the player look at the server, start streaming media.
  6. AZ8
    Left out? What are they missing? I've looked at my cousin's VZW iPhone and, other than third-party AirPlay support for video, they're not missing anything. The VZW 4.2.8 and AT&T 4.3 branches are VERY similar.

As for Android vs. iOS, I think it was an app and reliability (many experienced a lot of crashes) issue for most; they saw the quality difference and decided to make the jump. That's what I've been told by few, not all. I can't speak for the others that that I know have switched and haven't told me why.

My Droid X has worked flawlessly since day one.

I've since updated to Gingerbread and have to say GB is simply an amazing UI. I have friends with iPhones. My Droid X with Gingerbread makes iOS look like a toy. I also have a co-worker with an iPhone. She's always teasing me how she will..."steal my X when Im away from my desk" LOL

Right now, Android is like a runaway train. Its rolling over everything in its path. Will it come to an end?? Only time will tell, but the momentum is undeniable. Gingerbread is leaps and bounds better than any earlier versions. Much more elagant. A great update!

I will stay with Android as long as the ride takes me.
    Android: The New Symbian

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    My Droid X has worked flawlessly since day one.

I've since updated to Gingerbread and have to say GB is simply an amazing UI. I have friends with iPhones. My Droid X with Gingerbread makes iOS look like a toy. I also have a co-worker with an iPhone. She's always teasing me how she will..."steal my X when Im away from my desk" LOL
    Depends on who you talk to. On the outside, yes, Android does make the iPhone look rather weak, but once you dig deeper and scour the iOS app store and see some of the capabilities that third party applications brings to the platform, that's where you see iOS’ strength.

Right now, Android is like a runaway train. Its rolling over everything in its path. Will it come to an end?? Only time will tell, but the momentum is undeniable. Gingerbread is leaps and bounds better than any earlier versions. Much more elagant. A great update!

I will stay with Android as long as the ride takes me.
    I have no real quarrels with Android; I ran with the Evo since Google I/O of last year until I got the iPhone 4 in September. I am however a stickler for a clean, pixel-perfect, UI-consistent, reliable system, but that's just me.

Everyone has their likes and dis-likes and has a greater appreciation for certain things than others.
  9. AZ8
    Depends on who you talk to. On the outside, yes, Android does make the iPhone look rather weak, but once you dig deeper and scour the iOS app store and see some of the capabilities that third party applications brings to the platform, that's where you see iOS’ strength.

I have no real quarrels with Android; I ran with the Evo since Google I/O of last year until I got the iPhone 4 in September. I am however a stickler for a clean, pixel-perfect, UI-consistent, reliable system, but that's just me.

Everyone has their likes and dis-likes and has a greater appreciation for certain things than others.
    There's a reason we have over 1,000 flavors of ice cream. What a boring trip to Basken Robbins if they only have vanilla!
  10.    #30  
    There's a reason we have over 1,000 flavors of ice cream. What a boring trip to Basken Robbins if they only have vanilla!
    Dutch chocolate is where it's at!
  11. AZ8
    Dutch chocolate is where it's at!
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSecksie View Post
    Android: The New Symbian
    The way things are going Android will surely be the next symbian.
    Right now RIM is growing in the emerging market like India and China, because of cheap devices and having good amount of features.
    But as prices of Android devices keep on falling it will be a matter of time when Android will replace RIM as the Best Value for Money device.

In comparison to the US or Europe, people in the Emerging market have to buy an unlocked version of the phone and have to pay the cost of the phone upfront.
    Mostly the devices priced around $100 to $200 are the most sold devices.

Few years back Nokia were the leaders in this segment but due to its poor OS, it is now replaced by RIM and in a year or so RIM will be replaced by Android.

The above is one of the reason why Android will keep on growing and Why RIM future is bleak.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12