Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have been a long time palm user. Just look at my sig.

I'm thinking about ordering the Evo 3D. Yeah I know, big, clunky, not true multi-tasking, poor battery life etc.

But all of these things can not outweigh the short comings of my Pre Minus.

1. Still no support from DTG after over 2 years.

2. Still no Flash.

3. No OS upgrade for the Minus

4. Browser leaves a lot to be desired.

5. IMHO the HP acquisition was not a positive, other than the fact that it made the big fish investors in Palm whole.

6 Yeah I could hack my Minus with 2.0 or wait for the 3, but it will always be behind the curve.

...Wow guess what I can even view my contacts by groups with android.

...The touchstone is the only thing I would miss from my pre.

Let me know your thoughts. Feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by dvkim; 06/20/2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.
    If you need to update your phone, and are thinking about the Evo 3D, I would just wait until it comes out. That way you can go to a Sprint store & check it out yourself to see how you like it.

If you like it, then go ahead & get it. If not, then get something else. That's just what I would do; I'd rather play around with it for a little bit before buying, or ordering it.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending the Evo3d with its nonexistent battery life (way worse than the Pre- on webOS 1.0 from what I gather), terrible camera (with a bad sensor and haloes), barely functional 3d gimmick, bad build quality, etc. to my worst enemy. If you hated the Pre, you'd hate the Evo3d even more.

I won't go into why I personally consider webOS superior to Android because I don't want to bore you and I obviously wasn't born to be a missionary because I believe in different strokes for different folks... so if you want to switch away from webOS and join the Android camp, you should maybe look into the HTC Sensation instead because that actually looks to be a quality phone. File the Evo3d in the 'hype sells phones better than actual merit' folder.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending the Evo3d with its nonexistent battery life (way worse than the Pre- on webOS 1.0 from what I gather), terrible camera (with a bad sensor and haloes), barely functional 3d gimmick, bad build quality, etc. to my worst enemy. If you hated the Pre, you'd hate the Evo3d even more.

I won't go into why I personally consider webOS superior to Android because I don't want to bore you and I obviously wasn't born to be a missionary because I believe in different strokes for different folks... so if you want to switch away from webOS and join the Android camp, you should maybe look into the HTC Sensation instead because that actually looks to be a quality phone. File the Evo3d in the 'hype sells phones better than actual merit' folder.

Yes it looks like a great device. Problem is, I'm on Sprint no Tmo.
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.

where are you getting this from. HTC build quality is the best around, if anything it is way better then palms was with the pre. The battery life is better than a pre on what ever i have on it right now, i cant make it past 4pm without needing a charger, it has the biggest battery in phone right now i think read that somewhere. The camera is not that bad Ive seen the pictures the reviewers have taken and they seem fine to me, you want great pictures get a dslr.

To they guy that wants to upgrade, go play with it on the 24th and see how you like it, me personally i preordered the phone because my pre is on its death bed and I've given up on webos on sprint, don't think its going to happen.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    try it out and see if you like it. 30 days. Cant hurt. I doubt you will be content with android. I was displeased. It requires a different mindset.
    If you want to stay on Sprint then yes. Actually, you don't have much choice..

Is it worth an extra $120 a year to you? You'll have to pay the $10/month smartphone fee if you switch.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post

He can always wait for the Photon, Within (aka Galaxy S 2), or mythical webOS Stingray. Are there any WP7 devices on the horizon for Sprint other than the Arrive?

I'm agonizing over the same choices - I'll probably give the Evo 3D a test-drive since apparently I'm one of the few people who like 3D. I certainly don't enjoy Android as much as webOS and would really miss using my 4Touchstones, but my thumb is getting sore from 2 years of typing, swiping, and gestures on the Pre/Pre2.
    Noooo, wait for the Galaxy S2.

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    +1 on that. If sprint doesn't end up with a webos phone. That's what I'm waiting for.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    After two years of exposure and development webOS is barely improved(from the user/owner perspective) than it was on launch day. With that said, android has been constantly and non stop evolving and improving since day one. It has more app support, and device/carrier support. I love webOS more than anything else out there... but what has it done for you lately? Answer: Not a damn thing. I'm getting the 3d. If I don't like it i'll get something else. Thats what a 30 day return policy is all about. In closing... if you don't get a 3d, get something. You are missing out.
    cnote1287 likes this.
    If it were me and everything that I've seen and read about the Evo 3D, I'd pass on it. Obviously, I'd like to get a replacement for my Pre minus but I don't think the Evo 3D is it. It leaves lots to be desired (Battery life, sub-par camera, flash doesn't run well on any mobile device and per reports the Evo 3D doesn't seem to have the same durable construction of the original Evo and it's also missing the kickstand which was great for watching movies).

OP go and look at it for yourself and then decide. 30day trial is there for the taking.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Well, you can leave Sprint and go to Verizon for the Pre2. You'll get Flash, OS upgrades, improved battery life, better build-quality, and you get to keep your Touchstone; not to mention that your coverage may improve as well. Since you'll be paying an extra $10 per month for "Premium Data" with Sprint, Verizon's monthly bill won't hurt much more if you're on a single-line plan. Hurry while the data is still unlimited...
    Last edited by RafRol; 06/21/2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I've already ordered the EVO 3D. If HP puts out a webOS phone that beats it I'll sell mine and pick up the new phone. I just don't see that happening for a long time, if ever, because I like SD cards, video output, larger screens, etc.
    Just a matter of time before being banned - simply because I recognize that HP is killing WebOS.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I just plan on keeping an extra battery around. That is what I've always done with most any of my phones. A new battery is only $40 for the 3d so after the first month or so I'll just pick one up.
    I have about 4 batteries for my sprint pre+ and 6 touchstones in various locations/vehicles. Pretty much plan on just leaving the phone plugged in an charging if I'm at my desk, car, home. No reason not to. So If i have a spare battery, and there are chargers everywhere(everyone pretty much uses micro-usb anymore) then I don't really see the battery life being an issue.
    After all the screen is massive compared to the pre... so its going to take more juice to run it.
    In 3d you effectively have 3 screens running so why wouldn't it use more power? I wasn't shocked to see people *****ing about it. I could care less. I'm used to the pre so crappy build quality is nothing new to me. Of course I've never had an HTC phone that was anything less than impressive in construction so I'll just wait to see with my own eyes.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post
    I've already ordered the EVO 3D. If HP puts out a webOS phone that beats it I'll sell mine and pick up the new phone. I just don't see that happening for a long time, if ever, because I like SD cards, video output, larger screens, AND APPS.
    Fixed.

This pretty much sums it up!

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have pre-ordered mine. Got tired of waiting on HP to do something. I was not overly impressed with the Pre3 and have no desire to leave Sprint.

Aside for the 3d aspect, the HTC is getting good reviews and HTC has a good reputation. Even Consumer Reports gave the 3D a good overall review.

so the 24th I leave WebOS behind. It is too bad that they could not have taken it further. My Pre was great phone.
    Ok, I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but 4G on, battery life sucks. It's a given for nearly every phone out there (there are exceptions). Terrible camera? The samples seem to show it does fairly well in good light. Not the best, but the Pre3 samples weren't either. Low light sorta blows, but I find that to be true across the board.

Only one review complained about build, while everyone else seemed to love it. Something tells me it will not be anywhere near the Pre fiasco (even tho I'm only on my 2nd from day one). At worst, it'll be like the early EVOs probably. I'll give you 3D is pretty lame (and seemingly not as good as the LG Optimus 3D based from one reviewer)

And this. If the OP can wait it out, I'd see what the SG2 and Photon have to offer, and if the EVO 3D has early EVO pains.

Personally, I ordered the EVO 3D since it was $150. And I missed the $100 Nexus S deal. My Pre is hitting the point where my first one did... doing not so bad... then suddenly is going downhill. I need to keep it as a backup, so I need a phone soon.

Hoping the 7" TouchPad kicks *** so I can keep my toes in WebOS. Setting my my families' phones (all android now) show I'll really miss some key basics from webOS (swipe to delete dammit!)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast