1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

take care,

Jay

RIM now worth only $14.45 billion, should Microsoft buy?
    June 18th, 2011 | Author: Surur

RIM now worth only $14.45 billion, should Microsoft buy?

3 years ago RIM was worth more than $70 billion. Today the still proud company is worth less than 1/5 of that value, $14.45 billion. Even then there were rumours that Microsoft was looking at buying RIM, and now with the company by comparison extremely cheap, the question arises again.
    Buying RIM, who is now worth less than double Microsoft’s recent Skype purchase, would offer Microsoft unprecedented access to business communications, carrier relationships and even consumer relationships, and unlike Nokia a brand that means something in USA.

Of course RIM is in this position because they are losing their hold on this very market, and Microsoft may well just be catching a falling knife, but then it is a very cheap knife, with the company’s price less than 5 times of its annual earnings, which is pretty ridiculous for a tech company.

If Microsoft did buy the company they could run it as a going concern and strip it for its assets while transitioning their customers and technology to Windows Phone. Whether this will be worth the trouble and expense (estimated at $17 billion is a buyout premium) is of course not clear but such a deal would certainly have many attractive aspects, especially with Dell as a Blackberry challenger seriously fizzling away.
    Do our readers think the time for a deal has come? Let us know below.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    thats what the stock market says its worth, not what share holders are willing to give up interest in it for....
    but if microsoft is serious about the mobile business, rimm is a cash machine with no debt. so instead of shelling out billions of dollars for other companies to pick their software ( nokia) buying itsself the foothold of rimm certainly is the best way in. in my opinion.
    the other option could be HP as well since they are going for the enterprise market hard. this would be auto win!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    If HP buys RIM it would be like buying webOS all over again. Hey, they did it once, why not do it again?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If HP buys RIM it would be like buying webOS all over again. Hey, they did it once, why not do it again?

Hi all,

Rim is parts are in effect worth more than it does together...it's patents treasure chest must be overflowing with tons of patents...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Ha. Yes, while it would take a competitor out of the system and bring in some I.P, it would certainly slow down progress again, unless they dumped most of the company after buying it, which would be a little sad in this economy.

Edit: but maybe they'd get some good talent in. They need good talent still
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    There is talent at RIM, just check out the reception and battery life on most Blackberries and see for yourself, that said RIM desperately needs a new operating system and I'm not convinced QNX is really going to work out in the end. I think HP purchases RIM would be the move needed to really make webOS compete since they would have a fully fledged phone division, and HP could handle tablets, netbooks, and printers. They would get enterprise messaging and the BES server contracts. It just seems like a no brainer if it's Possible for HP to do it (which I'm sure it is). Most importantly, it doesn't let someone like Microsoft have it, which would basically guarantee Windows Phone would be number 3 and thus end end the race with it being Microsoft, Google, and Apple just like always.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbgsu View Post
    There is talent at RIM, just check out the reception and battery life on most Blackberries and see for yourself, that said RIM desperately needs a new operating system and I'm not convinced QNX is really going to work out in the end. I think HP purchases RIM would be the move needed to really make webOS compete since they would have a fully fledged phone division, and HP could handle tablets, netbooks, and printers. They would get enterprise messaging and the BES server contracts. It just seems like a no brainer if it's Possible for HP to do it (which I'm sure it is). Most importantly, it doesn't let someone like Microsoft have it, which would basically guarantee Windows Phone would be number 3 and thus end end the race with it being Microsoft, Google, and Apple just like always.
    Its funny.. Because if you do the Retail training for webOS for the veer, HP says the competition is

GooG, RiM & Apple

No way microsoft should buy a failing hardware company. If there's one thing i've learned from hearing Warren Buffett is it's a bad idea to buy failing companies with consistently declining profits. He finds good companies and buys them or a decent company that can be changed merely with implementing sounder managment. But generally he's buying good management.

RIM has some bad products, little in the pipeline and poor management that couldn't keep up with competition.

not to mention Microsoft is more of a software company. No idea why they'd want to risk entering markets where they'd be dependent on consistently developing and selling hardware. Same goes for Google and some others. I don't see it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    They should do like they did with Nortel, a consortium with the major players. That way we can be rid of RIM faster.