1.    #1  
    Samsung Galaxy 551, HTC Incredible S, Motorola Atrix.

I'll start this off, I Want a Pre3 if it comes to Bell, otherwise, I'll be weighing my options. On that note, the wireless wave CSR (add salt now) said if ATT gets the Pre3, then it is likely Bell will too.

Not as much time with each, but I do like them all from the short time we shared. I was fairly interested in the VKB and for a first time user, I wasn't that bad. I wasn't that good at Swype (better just typing), something with practise would improve I'm sure.

VERY,VERY,VERY disappointed with Bell's "trial period". 15 days & MAXIMUM 30 (Whole) minutes. Those of you Stateside...consider yourselves lucky with your 30 day unlimited with$35 restock fee. hardly seems fair, but it is what it is.

I asked the CSR what OS they ran, she replied Android. I then explained to her there were various versions etc. She apologized (said that's all the training she was given) and said she wished she could get inside my head, lol. I really don't know all that much about Androids.... A thing or two about a thing or two.

I found navigation fairly easy. The home button/back button really wasn't too hard to figure out, not sure why some people make a big deal about it.

I'm going to look over some user reviews over the next few days and hopefully I'll be better informed than when I got my Pre, because really.... I didn't do a whole lot, if any research on it.

If you have any points to add, good or bad about these phones, feel free to put them here. We will probably be going in mid next week to pick one out.

I think, as much as I want a Pre3, I won't be getting one right away....end of summer probably, depending on how the reviews go, of course..
    I once watched a Bell sales rep sell a rocketstick or whatever they call them to a customer. He told her how generous of a trial period they have -- you can use up to a megabyte of data before returning it.

I'm not even making that up.

I think Bell's Atrix and Galaxy 551s are on Android 2.2 while the Incredible S is on Gingerbread. I could be wrong though but you're looking at 2.2 as the oldest version.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I once watched a Bell sales rep sell a rocketstick or whatever they call them to a customer. He told her how generous of a trial period they have -- you can use up to a megabyte of data before returning it.

I'm not even making that up.

I think Bell's Atrix and Galaxy 551s are on Android 2.2 while the Incredible S is on Gingerbread. I could be wrong though but you're looking at 2.2 as the oldest version.
    So basically... No returns.. All sales final?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My understanding is Bell would be more than happy to take the phone back as long as you use less than 30 minutes of airtime and 1MB of data.

Amazing, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    My understanding is Bell would be more than happy to take the phone back as long as you use less than 30 minutes of airtime and 1MB of data.

Amazing, huh?
    Damn Canadia with their 3 year contracts & Crazy Return Policies.. smh

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I saw that the Atrix was now on sale for $24 bucks. Might be worth looking into.
    Like many other people on the forums lately, I am seriously considering the switch to Android. I bought the wife a Nook Color which I promptly rooted and turned into a full-blown android tablet.

At first, I admit, I was very intrigued by Android. The widgets are cool, lots of apps, some really decent games and tons of stuff for my 2.5 yr old to do on it. But here is the thing:

You know how its really hard to explain to people exactly what it is that makes webOS such an amazing experience? The same thing goes for the adroid but in the opposite direction. I find myself not feeling like using the tablet cause it just feels like a hassle. Where as using the Pre is like extension of my mind or something, android is work.

Sure, it sounds silly, but I've definitely begun to see why so many people who have jump ship to android come back to webOS. So as much as it personally kills me hanging on to my near-dead Pre-, I think I am just going to have to wait and see what HP+Sprint do before making a decision.

Good luck with whichever phone you go with. The one thing I highly recommend you look into is whether any of those specific devices have their ROMs locked down. Loading custom ROMs can really make the Android thing much more fun...plus locking down a phone like that is just wrong.
  8.    #8  
    @Weaser: That was one thing I forgot to mention, lol. I noticed on the Bell.ca site, the $24.99 price tag.....Wireless Wave still had theirs at $99! So I even mentioned it to the saleslady and she kind of waffled a bit and said they would match the price...blablabla...

So I said, "So, if Joe Blow comes by this kiosk and he doesn't know about Bell's $24 w/3year....you're going to charge him $99?? That's a little shady, don't you think?"

She got a little red in the face...I almost walked away, (if I had time, I would have gone to the Bell Store), but didn't.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9.    #9  
    @nappy they said in the store that the Incredible was running on 2.2 but would upgrade later this summer to 2.3.

We're going with that one, have to wait a few days as the store, (and kiosk in the mall) were sold out and gf liked the CSR(different store, different CSR) and wanted to give her the commission.

Funny, I asked about how to talk into the phone and make it send a text, the girl tried a few things but didn't know...so I took the phone, found the microphone button, held it down and lo & behold.... got it to work and taught her something. I gotta say that's a pretty sweetas feature right there.

(Hey HP....voice to text.....voice to search.....think about it )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I have used Android for a little while (co-worke has an HTC Evo and he went out of the country for 10 days and let me play around with it).

I, too, had no trouble adapting to the "system" and the 'talk actions' are nice. Not game changing...but, nice.

My BIG issue was with the VKB. I could type / dial with no real problem. But, whenever you would be on a website or forum and tapped into a field or form input box....the VKB springs up and KNOCKS THE FIELD OUT OF VIEW!!!

It is terribly annoying and do not believe I could eve get used to that. What little bit of window was left above the keyboard had me scrolling around trying to just see what I was typing, etc. AWFUL

The UI was fine and I have no real complaint about that at all. I prefer webOS. But, I do not agree with the point of view that android is so terrible and "clunky".
  11.    #11  
    Interesting, I will have to check that out and see. I didn't even think about that, tbh. I remember when I got my Pre year &1/2 ago, the Androids that were out then, did (to me anyway) seem a little less on the pleasing side, but they've come a long way since then.
    I wouldn't have considered android at all pre Eclair.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Like many other people on the forums lately, I am seriously considering the switch to Android. I bought the wife a Nook Color which I promptly rooted and turned into a full-blown android tablet.

At first, I admit, I was very intrigued by Android. The widgets are cool, lots of apps, some really decent games and tons of stuff for my 2.5 yr old to do on it. But here is the thing:

You know how its really hard to explain to people exactly what it is that makes webOS such an amazing experience? The same thing goes for the adroid but in the opposite direction. I find myself not feeling like using the tablet cause it just feels like a hassle. Where as using the Pre is like extension of my mind or something, android is work.

Sure, it sounds silly, but I've definitely begun to see why so many people who have jump ship to android come back to webOS. So as much as it personally kills me hanging on to my near-dead Pre-, I think I am just going to have to wait and see what HP+Sprint do before making a decision.

Good luck with whichever phone you go with. The one thing I highly recommend you look into is whether any of those specific devices have their ROMs locked down. Loading custom ROMs can really make the Android thing much more fun...plus locking down a phone like that is just wrong.
    I know expctly what you're talking about. I, too, got a Nook Color, and I rooted it a week ago. The learning curve with Android is longer than WebOS, and I pretty much agree with your assessment of the two. But I really, really like that there's so much more available for Android in terms of apps and widgets, etc., and so much of it is free. My contract with ATT is up late this year or early next. Don't know if I'll get a new phone right away - I do love my Pre+ - but I would not rule an Android out. I've got lots of time to learn to use it. Too many apps that are important to me - e.g., Epocrates, CompanionLink - have jumped ship.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    ...My BIG issue was with the VKB. I could type / dial with no real problem. But, whenever you would be on a website or forum and tapped into a field or form input box....the VKB springs up and KNOCKS THE FIELD OUT OF VIEW!!!...
    This tells me you saw the EVO before Gingerbread. It was a dramatic improvement.

Also, this sounds like a stock keyboard. The SwiftKey keyboard does not have this problem. The Swype keyboard that is now included does not have that issue either.