Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apple patent suggests wireless device charging | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

According to a recent Apple patent, users may one day be able to charge their iPhones and iPads wirelessly. The patent, titled "Wireless power utilization in a local computing environment," describes a way that computers, such as an iMac or MacBook, could charge a device like the iPhone when it is put within three feet of the computer. The technology works using near field magnetic resonance (NFMR) power transmission.
    Sounds like it's literally a halo effect.
    Sigh...

N. Tesla got there first, only the actual device was never funded completely by JP Morgan as promised (he mysteriously backed out, even after seeing it worked as a concept), but, it was designed to power the world with wireless electricity utilizing various of these towers stationed around the world.

Rumors have it that the government seized the concept device after his death, along with various other inventions, citing "National Security" as the basis for their action.

PBS: Tesla - Master of Lightning: Selected Tesla Patents

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Although the idea of wireless charging sounds great, who would want to lug around a laptop or computer just so that you can charge your phone?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Although the idea of wireless charging sounds great, who would want to lug around a laptop or computer just so that you can charge your phone?
    The same way those that don't lug around touchstones; fallback to a cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The same way those that don't lug around touchstones; fallback to a cable.
    A standard Pre touchstone is hardly a "lug-around", and can be mounted anywhere, pretty much, and makes the device totally usable while charging, to boot.

The new TP Touchstone, on the other hand, I'd agree with you, though.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    A standard Pre touchstone is hardly a "lug-around", and can be mounted anywhere, pretty much, and makes the device totally usable while charging, to boot.

The new TP Touchstone, on the other hand, I'd agree with you, though.
    Right, but it's still a hassle though compared to a small cable and its charger. I don't really see touchstones as being a mobile charger but rather a dock-like charger that resides on a desk.
    Keep in mind that this is a relatively new patent *application*. It has not matured into a patent.

See US2010056240 WIRELESS POWER UTILIZATION IN A LOCAL COMPUTING ENVIRONMENT
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Keep in mind that this is a relatively new patent *application*. It has not matured into a patent.

See US2010056240 WIRELESS POWER UTILIZATION IN A LOCAL COMPUTING ENVIRONMENT
    Of course, and many of Apples patents have never come to fruition; this one may see the same fate. However, it is the idea that I'm marveling here.

I think the patent I hope for the most is the solar display that charges your device when exposed to light (sun).
    Right, but it's still a hassle though compared to a small cable and its charger. I don't really see touchstones as being a mobile charger but rather a dock-like charger that resides on a desk.
    Not a "hassle" at all. They fit pretty much anywhere - I travel all the time, and never leave home without it.

Really.

They ARE the quintessential mobile charging device, becuase of their small size and how they turn the device into a useable desktop device, while charging/keeping the device constantly chared.

11.    #11  
    Not a "hassle" at all. They fit pretty much anywhere - I travel all the time, and never leave home without it.

Really.

They ARE the quintessential mobile charging device, becuase of their small size and how they turn the device into a useable desktop device, while charging/keeping the device constantly chared.

I guess that's a subjective matter; I don't see the benefit in taking a touchstone on a trip versus the wired-charger.

Personally, I find inserting a cable into its appropriate port and/or sliding it into a dock as effortless as laying the device down on a touchstone.

Yes, I'm aware of exhibition mode and think that's cool, but I'm talking in the context of traveling here. When I go on trips I almost always have my laptop with me, which according to this patent application could charge my phone while it's in my pocket assuming I'm within 3-feet of the computer. Or, if the computer was close enough, just by having the phone lay on the nightstand next to the bed and charge overnight.
    I guess that's a subjective matter; I don't see the benefit in taking a touchstone on a trip versus the wired-charger.

Personally, I find inserting a cable into its appropriate port and/or sliding it into a dock as effortless as laying the device down on a touchstone.

Yes, I'm aware of exhibition mode and think that's cool, but I'm talking in the context of traveling here. When I go on trips I almost always have my laptop with me, which according to this patent application could charge my phone while it's in my pocket assuming I'm within 3-feet of the computer. Or, if the computer was close enough, just by having the phone lay on the nightstand next to the bed and charge overnight.
    I guess this is just one of those things you need to experience - at face value, I thought the same as you...

And, then, I travelled out of state, overnight, and the touchstone, which attaches to any standard Palm USB cable, was a god send (it fit quite easily into one of the side pouches of my laptop travelling bag, which isnt big at all).

Taking the phone on and off the charger is easy, yes, but, using as a speakerphone and calculator while I worked at my desk was really convenient, and, then as a speakerphone, alarm clock and weather device by the nightstand.

All while keeping my phone completely charged and ready to go up to the very last second.

Anyone that has travelled with it knows this.

It's like multitasking on any WebOS device - can can explain it here ad nauseum,. accurately, but, until you are actually deep into 10+ different simultaneously open cards while you are doing several related and unrelated tasks among/between them, you just can't appreciate its elegance.

I'm not saying that there aren't other credible alternatives, but, IMO, (and I believe, most others here) the touchstone is THE ultimate charging device amongst all choices available today.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 06/17/2011 at 06:08 PM.

13.    #13  
    I get what you're saying, but like I already said above (and I have a Pre 2 with a touchstone) I just don't see the need to pack more than what I need. It doesn't have any benefit.

The only benefit I see from having a TouchStone is when it's either a) sitting on my desk next to me at the computer b) on my nightstand beside the bed.

I guess one could argue that would apply to some while traveling, but the touchstone has no real added value that makes it worthwhile (imo), for a trip. It's not like it charges the phone at an accelerated rate, it actually charges at a less rate compared to plugging it directly into the cable.
  14.    #14  
    But the whole point and idea behind this posting was (at least for me) this new technology completely untethers the phone from the computer/charger. It could be the last bit to completely remove the coord from the iPhone/iPod/iPad (considering iOS 5 now comes with wireless syncing & activation).

With this, you could literally charge your phone without ever removing it from your pocket. Now that is cool.

Here's some food for thought; assuming Apple could/would, if they licensed this new technology to other companies. For example, to Ford to add to their vehicles so that your device(s) would charge anytime you're inside your vehicle.
    Last edited by barkerja; 06/17/2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Ok.. for me, then...

I dont see the point - its only good for 3' from the source.

I'd like to know what the other downsideslimitations/tradeoffs to it are, when implicated.

As a concept, to me, its not really appealing, yet.

But, Tesla's patent, however, would have changed the world as we know it.

16.    #16  
    Ok.. for me, then...

I dont see the point - its only good for 3' from the source.

I'd like to know what the other downsideslimitations/tradeoffs to it are, when implicated.

As a concept, to me, its not really appealing, yet.

But, Tesla's patent, however, would have changed the world as we know it.
    If you don't see the point of wireless charging, then how do you see the point in a touchstone? I mean, essentially they're the same in the sense that one doesn't need to have any sort of wire connected to their phone to charge. However, this new technology Apple has worked on takes it one step further by making it more seamless and ‘less connected’.

You sit down at your desk and boom, your phone is automatically charging without ever taking it out of your pocket. You don't need to make a conscious effort to charge it. Seamless. Automatic. Hassle-free.

The only downside I could possibly see is a reduced charging rate, like the touchstone. No way I could see it being feasible of it being able to push the same amount of current wirelessly. I'd definitely like to be proven wrong.
    I sense many lawsuits from mental illness, infertility to cancer, lol.
    If you don't see the point of wireless charging, then how do you see the point in a touchstone? I mean, essentially they're the same in the sense that one doesn't need to have any sort of wire connected to their phone to charge. However, this new technology Apple has worked on takes it one step further by making it more seamless and ‘less connected’.

You sit down at your desk and boom, your phone is automatically charging without ever taking it out of your pocket. You don't need to make a conscious effort to charge it. Seamless. Automatic. Hassle-free.

The only downside I could possibly see is a reduced charging rate, like the touchstone. No way I could see it being feasible of it being able to push the same amount of current wirelessly. I'd definitely like to be proven wrong.
    Well, relative to travellilng, when I get back to my hotel room, my phone comes out of my suit jacket pocket and onto the touchstone by the desk. I always have work to do when I get back in, and that includes using my laptop while making a ton of calls, and performing various mathematical calculations.

That's the benefit of the touchstone; when its charging the device, it still makes the device totally usable.

Now, your wireless charging device with a 3' radius will have me constantly wondering if Im in range and if its being charged or not. If the laptop is the charger base, then I certainly will need another cable if I am going to need my phone by the nightstand to use it as an alarm clock, speakerphone and weather forecasting device. Either way, with a wireless charging device that you are talking about, I'd always have to be checking my device for charge acpacity or not - something I'd never have to do with a touchstone, except maybe after the first few minutes I put the phone down on it, if Im in a rush to leave again.

I cant speak to the charging rate, but, if this patent is based on Tesla's, the charging rate could be significantly high, as his devices were huge and pushing out, theoreticlaly, megawatts wirelessly, with areas of hundreds - thousands of miles in radius.

My final point is that, I feel that the 3' radius on the Apple patent is much too small to be practical for me (in that regard, its just a novelty); increase that to 10 - 15 feet with secure ID, and that's a likely better device, as I can see that working in a hotel room, or, at select outlets in a person's home, to eliminate wires on appliances and other domestic devices.. THAT would be HUGE, but, once again, that was Tesla!
    Last edited by LCGuy; 06/18/2011 at 12:49 PM.

True, but since you can get touchstones for relatively cheap, you can afford to have one at home, one at the office, and one in your car. No need to carry anything around really.
    Agreed with LCGuy, that during the trips where I was working at night, it helped to have the Pre sitting on the Touchstone dock on the hotel desk. I could lift up my laptop without having a cord and phone dangling from it, I could also easily pick up the phone from the Touchstone without having a cord dangling from it.
    On those trips where I had less need of the phone at night, I did not take the Touchstone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast