1.    #1  
    Hey all,
    My mom is shopping for a new smartphone (she is in her late forties) and needs something very user friendly. She is not tech savvy (although not ridiculously non tech-savvy; she can figure out how to use things if you show her).
    So, discussion went to free smartphones on AT&T. Of course I am considering the Veer, but I know all about it already so I want some opinions on the two other phones I am considering: Quantum or Captivate.
    Basically it comes down to usability. Which is more user friendly and intuitive; which allows you to get things done very quickly and easily with a minimum of fuss? (Basically, what is as close to webOS-efficient). She doesn't really care about apps; she has never owned a smartphone before but what I can see her doing is: heavy email, web browsing, maybe music. We will get her the 200MB data plan. I know that if I want her to get the easiest to use phone I should really get the Veer, and I'm considering it, but I don't think she'll go for the screen. And the Pre3 will most likely not be free when it comes out, and she's sitting on an upgrade and impatient.
    I could also be talked into getting her an Inspire, if people think it is really that much better than the Captivate, but it is more expensive.

Thanks in advance!
    Probably considered blasphemy here, but I would not recommend WebOS for a smartphone newbie. I'd stick with WP7, or go with Android from a manufacturer that provides a slick and intuitive interface like Motorola's Blur or Sony's Rachael.

Take a look at the Samsung Focus, Motorola Bravo, and Sony Xperia X10A.
    Touchscreens are a fad.