1.    #1  
    There's a TIME and cnet article today about unlocked cdma iphone (non 4G) will be available wed. Hopefully HP announces the pre 3 soon. Even if the unlocked iphone is available it probably weren't hurt the pre3 launch since it will be $599 and not 4G compatible.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Unlocked CDMA? Highly doubtful. Can you provide a link?
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    "Locked" and "unlocked" do not apply to CDMA phones. It doesn't work the same way as it does with GSM. With GSM, you unlock the phone by programming the phone to accept SIM cards from any carrier.

With CDMA, the carrier determines what phones will be allowed to work on their network via the phone's ESN. The phone itself doesn't care what carrier its on, so there's nothing to unlock.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    "Locked" and "unlocked" do not apply to CDMA phones. It doesn't work the same way as it does with GSM. With GSM, you unlock the phone by programming the phone to accept SIM cards from any carrier.

With CDMA, the carrier determines what phones will be allowed to work on their network via the phone's ESN. The phone itself doesn't care what carrier its on, so there's nothing to unlock.
    The articles point to a dual CDMA/GSM iPhone 4. A device that can operate on either network type. Side note. This has almost nothing to do with the Pre3 so I'm not sure why the thread is in this forum.
    But the CDMA part would still be "locked" to VZW.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Unlocked CDMA? Highly doubtful. Can you provide a link?
    In theory VZW and Sprint could allow their networks to use the other's phones freely - but despite promises of open network access this hasn't happened.

I think the folks misunderstand the terms locked and unlocked to mean the same thing that is meant in the GSM world. In CMDA since device portability is not commonly available all this refers to seems to be does the phone have a carrier subsidy with ETF implications or not. An "unlocked" (non subsidized phone) can be freely sold and have no ETF and that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    In theory VZW and Sprint could allow their networks to use the other's phones freely - but despite promises of open network access this hasn't happened.

I think the folks misunderstand the terms locked and unlocked to mean the same thing that is meant in the GSM world. In CMDA since device portability is not commonly available all this refers to seems to be does the phone have a carrier subsidy with ETF implications or not. An "unlocked" (non subsidized phone) can be freely sold and have no ETF and that's about it.
    To use that theory, all CDMA phones are "unlocked" because all carriers will sell you one for full price. They do this because they know you are still "locked" to them as a carrier since they know you can't activate the ESN on their competitors network. Contract or not, they've got you.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    To use that theory, all CDMA phones are "unlocked" because all carriers will sell you one for full price. They do this because they know you are still "locked" to them as a carrier since they know you can't activate the ESN on their competitors network. Contract or not, they've got you.
    Sorta... but other than the iPhone if I have a phone like that (For example the Pre Plus clearance items sold over the past few months) I can activate that on a pay as you go MVNO provider using Verizon's network. I couldn't do that with a "locked (subsidized)" device until the subsidy term was fulfilled and/or an ETF is paid.
    I've seen some contexts in which "Unlocked CDMA" phone means "clean esn". In which case you might be able to take a verizon phone and put it on pageplus, but you'd need it to have a clean ESN.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I believe this also matches up with Apple's summer "Back to School" program where if you buy a mac book they give you a free iPod Touch or (rumored) $200 off the iPhone. There were also rumors that the $200 could be applied to the iPad.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I've seen some contexts in which "Unlocked CDMA" phone means "clean esn". In which case you might be able to take a verizon phone and put it on pageplus, but you'd need it to have a clean ESN.
    Yeah the problem for most of us is Sprint doesn't play nice even with a clean ESN phone that they carry.
    Yeah the problem for most of us is Sprint doesn't play nice even with a clean ESN phone that they carry.
    Meaning?
    When people have tried to activate a VZW phone on Sprint, if the ESN isn't in the Sprint database as a Sprint phone... 99.9% of the time they won't activate. This is why people started to FrakenPre+ and FrankenPre2, and even some FrankenPixi action.

I'm not sure if more people have had luck recently, but I only know of a few people that ever claimed to even get a Sprint rep to activate a VZW Palm phone for them.
    When people have tried to activate a VZW phone on Sprint, if the ESN isn't in the Sprint database as a Sprint phone... 99.9% of the time they won't activate. This is why people started to FrakenPre+ and FrankenPre2, and even some FrankenPixi action.

I'm not sure if more people have had luck recently, but I only know of a few people that ever claimed to even get a Sprint rep to activate a VZW Palm phone for them.

I'm sorry that's not what I interpreted what you said to mean. When you said Sprint doesn't even play nice with a clean ESN phone that they carry - I assumed this was a Sprint phone on Sprint's network. You mean if Sprint and VZW both carry a phone - and the phone is clean ESN from VZW you can't activate on Sprint - that is correct. The reverse is true as well. This is despite both carriers making noises that this wouldn't be true. I think there may be an agreement not to do this or a fear that doing so would lead to subsidized phones jumping networks for better deals.
    I'm sorry that's not what I interpreted what you said to mean. When you said Sprint doesn't even play nice with a clean ESN phone that they carry - I assumed this was a Sprint phone on Sprint's network. You mean if Sprint and VZW both carry a phone - and the phone is clean ESN from VZW you can't activate on Sprint - that is correct. The reverse is true as well. This is despite both carriers making noises that this wouldn't be true. I think there may be an agreement not to do this or a fear that doing so would lead to subsidized phones jumping networks for better deals.
    Sorry, yes I meant a vzw phone they carry. I'm still on the tip that it's a way to keep you under contract without contract... Same idea as your jumping networks, except if you sign a contract you have to pay ETF to get out of said contract. If you buy phone at full price you should be able to run it on the carrier of your choice.
    Sorry, yes I meant a vzw phone they carry. I'm still on the tip that it's a way to keep you under contract without contract... Same idea as your jumping networks, except if you sign a contract you have to pay ETF to get out of said contract. If you buy phone at full price you should be able to run it on the carrier of your choice.
    Trade your phone with someone else - sites exist to do this and craigslist works great. The key is to have a clear ESN.
    Trade your phone with someone else - sites exist to do this and craigslist works great. The key is to have a clear ESN.
    Not gonna pay off contract price for that hassle and to still be tied to a carrier. I will go GSM before I go with that hassle. Good chance I will be taking our contract to GSM this fall anyways.
    So the thread originally posted in the wrong forum is now way off topic, lol. Anyway.

1) This isn't about an unlocked CDMA device. This is about a CDMA/GSM device that is unlocked to work with any significant carrier network in the US anyway.

2) Why would it be in Verizon's/Sprint's best interest to allow you to activate a phone they don't sell, don't service, and don't support on their network? If Sprint were to allow you to activate the device on their network, they would have some responsibility to ensure the device was fit to work on their network.

If Sprint IS going to get the iPhone 4 or newer, it makes sense. If Sprint is not getting the phone for mass distribution, it doesn't make sense to activate an iPhone on their network.
    The unlocked phones are GSM only, as expected.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MjI4NTM2NTM
    Touchscreens are a fad.