Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Rod just registered to android central and also posted this on his blog

    rwhitby.net : Subjective comparison of webOS and Android

    I would say hes moving to android what do you think.



    <<edited by staff>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/12/2011 at 12:00 AM.
  2. #2  
    I bet he has learnt a lot from Android for webOS. I wish they H/P hired him.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3. #3  
    Rod's been lightly involved in Android for a while. At the last DevDay,

    Didn't he say on twitter he was getting a Nexus S from his work as there were no webOS devices on any carriers?

    Regardless, seems like a non-issue, given how he actually said in his blog post:
    "...Nor is it an indication of any change in direction of any development group..."
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  4. #4  
    ...
    I have the opportunity to use a Google Nexus S for a period of time, so I figured I would use my time with it to document my subjective comparison of webOS and Android.

    Before I do so, I’ll make some introductory statements, so this blog entry is not misinterpreted or used in a way for which it is not intended.

    Firstly, a smartphone operating system (like a desktop operating system) is a tool, not a religion.

    Blindly advocating one smartphone operating system without having any real exposure to it’s competitors is like believing in one religion without having any exposure to any of the others, or saying that your country is the best in the world without ever leaving it’s borders or having an awareness of foreign places and cultures.

    A good craftsman is able to subjectively compare tools from different vendors unemotionally, and choose the best heterogeneous set of tools for a their own personal toolbox, rather than just blindly purchasing all their tools from the one vendor. However, compatibility between tools and suitability of a particular tool to a particular user may require a less than optimal single item to be purchased for the overall benefit of the efficacy of the complete set. Life is full of trade-offs and compromises, and ideals are rarely achieved.

    Smartphones in particular are very personal items, and therefore subject to the whims of individual tastes, prejudices, legacies and routines. What works best for one person may be unusable for another, and vice versa.

    Secondly, in general I don’t care what your opinion about smartphone operating systems is, and usually prefer not to get involved in arguments over subjective opinions. I choose the set of tools that work best for me, not the set of tools that work best for you or for anyone else. I don’t care whether one smartphone operating system has a higher number of users than another – I care only whether it works best for me. I don’t care whether one smartphone operating system has a higher number of available applications than another – I care only whether it has the applications that I need to use. I don’t care what market analysts think – the goals that they have when making smartphone operating system comparisons are very different from mine. I’m a developer, and in general if my need for some application or feature is strong, then I’ll either write it myself or choose to live without it if that is not possible. So I don’t necessarily need to follow the herd, but may choose to follow the path of least resistance to achieve my goals for the task at hand.

    Please don’t waste your time trying to convince me that my subjective opinions are wrong, because they are not. Subjective opinions are just that – subjective, and opinions. Subjective opinions only apply to the person who made them, and cannot be used as some sort of objective truth that can be applied to another person. They also cannot be used by a second party as some sort of weapon against a third party – subjective opinions are not transitive.

    Thirdly, most folks who read this will know that I founded and lead an open source development group called WebOS Internals. When people put a lot of time and effort in to the creation and growth of something, they are very likely to have a strong bias towards that thing. I am no different. My biases will affect my subjective opinions, and that’s fine – they are subjective opinions formed by me, not objective truths that apply to you.

    Finally, to put to rest any conspiracy theories that may result from this post: doing a subjective comparison between two smartphone operating systems is not an indication of the death of one smartphone operating system, or the supreme superiority of another. Nor is it an indication of any change in direction of any development group. Nor is it a vote of confidence or no-confidence in any particular vendor. Nor is it a threat, a weapon, or a sell-out.

    Put simply, if you find yourself wanting to use this post for any reason of than to appraise yourself of Rod Whitby’s subjective opinion about Android and webOS (as deployed on specific hardware as mentioned), then you should stop now and take a good hard look at yourself, cause you didn’t really read anything I wrote above.

    With all that said, let’s begin the comparison. The items that are being compared are Android 2.3.4 running on a Google Nexus S and webOS 2.1.0 running on a Palm Pre 2.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #5  
    That's actually pretty interesting -- I just went to Canada and took my Pre 2 and a Nexus S with me. I have to say, as each day went on I began to prefer my Pre 2 more and more.

    Just a quick run down of pros & cons

    Nexus S
    CONS
    - I feel the phone is too large, it just feels awkward in my hand
    - Android OS has a lot of the same jumping in and out of apps experience that iOS has, it's exasperated by the lack of physical keyboard
    - Bad audio quality when capturing video
    - Had trouble going from roaming back to the regular carrier

    PROS
    - Google Maps app is really great
    - Takes great pictures
    - very nice screen, colors were vivid.
    - Google Voice Search/Commands is definitly useful and it works very well.
    - Phone doesn't panic when I don't have a SIM card in it.
    - Exceptional battery life, I had it providing WiFi for my Pre 2 and I usually could use one battery through most of the day. One full day required two batteries though.
    - The Browser is much better than before, but it still is a bit clunky.
    - I pulled off a video chat via Google Talk while moving around the city of Vancouver on a bus -- that was pretty awesome, but perhaps not very practical, it's really awkward to use a phone that way. I couldn't force it to use the rear camera either to show the person the sights either
    - Seriously fast boot times. Like >1 minute fast.

    Overall the Nexus S itself is a nice phone, but webOS -- yes, even with its increasingly large amount of shortcomings has me hooked because of the ease of use. So here's hoping to some serious overhauling in webOS 3.0 huh?
  6. #6  
    Just to clarify for everyone....

    The reason a post like this would be deleted is because we protect our member's privacy. If a member (in this case, Rod) decides to join our sister-site AndroidCentral - that's awesome. But until that member says something about it himself, it is private information.

    Since Rod made a post in his blog, as OP points out, then it's all good as he has now made it public.

    Joining multiple sites was never the issue - we just want to make sure the member that is being discussed wishes to have his/her info made public. In this case, it's all been posted in the link in the OP.

    Thanks!
  7. #7  
    after reading the article you posted a link to, i dont see how you come to the conclusion that rwhitby is "jumping ship". From what i gather he is simply trying the other OS, and writing up a comparison between the two.

    He makes his case pretty clear in his Article
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Whitby (Article above)
    Finally, to put to rest any conspiracy theories that may result from this post: doing a subjective comparison between two smartphone operating systems is not an indication of the death of one smartphone operating system, or the supreme superiority of another. Nor is it an indication of any change in direction of any development group. Nor is it a vote of confidence or no-confidence in any particular vendor. Nor is it a threat, a weapon, or a sell-out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Whitby (Article above)
    Put simply, if you find yourself wanting to use this post for any reason of than to appraise yourself of Rod Whitby’s subjective opinion about Android and webOS (as deployed on specific hardware as mentioned), then you should stop now and take a good hard look at yourself, cause you didn’t really read anything I wrote above.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    That's actually pretty interesting -- I just went to Canada and took my Pre 2 and a Nexus S with me. I have to say, as each day went on I began to prefer my Pre 2 more and more.

    Just a quick run down of pros & cons

    Nexus S
    CONS
    - I feel the phone is too large, it just feels awkward in my hand
    - Android OS has a lot of the same jumping in and out of apps experience that iOS has, it's exasperated by the lack of physical keyboard
    - Bad audio quality when capturing video
    - Had trouble going from roaming back to the regular carrier

    PROS
    - Google Maps app is really great
    - Takes great pictures
    - very nice screen, colors were vivid.
    - Google Voice Search/Commands is definitly useful and it works very well.
    - Phone doesn't panic when I don't have a SIM card in it.
    - Exceptional battery life, I had it providing WiFi for my Pre 2 and I usually could use one battery through most of the day. One full day required two batteries though.
    - The Browser is much better than before, but it still is a bit clunky.
    - I pulled off a video chat via Google Talk while moving around the city of Vancouver on a bus -- that was pretty awesome, but perhaps not very practical, it's really awkward to use a phone that way. I couldn't force it to use the rear camera either to show the person the sights either
    - Seriously fast boot times. Like >1 minute fast.

    Overall the Nexus S itself is a nice phone, but webOS -- yes, even with its increasingly large amount of shortcomings has me hooked because of the ease of use. So here's hoping to some serious overhauling in webOS 3.0 huh?
    I have a feeling, 3.0 is going to be basically 2.0 in Enyo coding, nothing major would be new. Infact it may come with a lot of bugs like 2.x, not much patches or native Enyo apps. But I still hope its a step in right direction.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  9. #9  
    I'm disappointed in the smartphone community in general. It speaks volumes to the state of the smartphone community that Rod felt the need to have that huge disclaimer before he got to what he wanted to write about.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #10  
    it's a shame isn't it? Every OS has something to like, I think we all just want one that combines those features together.

    We're not there yet and so we're in the midst of a new age of platform wars
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I would say hes moving to android what do you think?
    stop now and take a good hard look at yourself
    .
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I'm disappointed in the smartphone community in general. It speaks volumes to the state of the smartphone community that Rod felt the need to have that huge disclaimer before he got to what he wanted to write about.
    And based on the subject and premise of this thread, it still didn't stop it happening ...

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #13  
    This thread is junk.

    We are going to let Rod start the next thread speculating why Rod registered at Android.

    <<closed>>
    Just call me Berd.

Posting Permissions