1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This is why we need HP to have a very soolid marketing program for webOS/Veer/TouchPan & Pre3.

Take care,

Jay

Are the Carriers Strangling Windows Phone 7 at Retail?

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 is just getting started as a platform, but the people actually selling the phones may be favoring its competitors.
    By Sara Yin, June 9, 2011 11:03am EST

Are the Carriers Strangling Windows Phone 7 at Retail? - PCMag Tries to Buy a Windows Phone | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Are the Carriers Strangling Windows Phone 7 at Retail? PCMag Tries to Buy a Windows Phone Going Shopping for Windows Phone 7
    I did some mystery shopping of my own at retail stores around Manhattan, inquiring about various WP7 devices.

At AT&T, the salesperson was a recent iPhone to Android convert. She was enthusiastic about WP7 devices, saying that Netflix was on WP7 and not available on her Android, and looked embarrassed when she walked me over to AT&T's unkempt WP7 display shelf. The newest WP7 phone, the HTC HD7S, didn't have a demo device. The only live demo I saw was an LG Quantum with a damaged screen (below right).

Next at a T-Mobile kiosk, the only WP7 device on display was an HTC HD7. The salesperson said the WP7 platform was well-regarded by techies, but that he couldn't personally recommend it as he carried an Android device. He was obviously more knowledgeable about the Android platform, and eventually the session turned into an iOS-bashing fest.

At a Verizon reseller kiosk, a salesman clearly tried to deter me from buying a WP7 device altogether. Not only did not he appear to know the fundamental difference between Windows Mobile and WP7, his kiosk didn't even offer WP7 devices and said you'd only find WP7 demo products at a few of Verizon's big retail stores.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks, Jay...

It is incredible, that carriers have garnered SO much power in controlling what devices finally find their way into the consumer's hands, yet their sales staff have severely limited information on most, if not all of the devices they sell, which allows the personal preference of any individual salesperson, knowledgable or not, to influence any innocent consumer to buy a device that might not truly be the best fit for them and their situation.

Carriers have a lot of work to do with their sales staff, IMO.

All of them.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I read somewhere that it was in the carriers' best interests to maintain more than one platform. I guess to them it means Android and iPhone, except Sprint, who is pushing Android and Blackberry (the Playbook).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Thanks, Jay.

The Windows phones are free and it is making no difference.

People talk about what they know. It is often not even on purpose. You don't want to look stupid. If a prospect asks about a Windows phone, the rep may say:

"I don't know. We don't sell many of those."
    "I am sure it can do that. Let me see."
    "I can show you how it works on an {Android/iPhone}."
    "I had one of those a few years ago."
    "I don't know that either."

Each of those replies ends that discussion. The rep may not even know why it happened.

If a prospect asks about an Android or iPhone:

"That's like {my phone, my friend's phone,}."
    "You can also ___..."
    "You can use this app for that..."
    "You just..."

People sell what they know. They know what they own.

Microsoft spent $800 million on advertising in the last six months on Windows 7 phones. They failed.

There are about 100,000 full time mobile sales people in the US. Have a promotion where if they sell 5 of your phones they get one free. Half will. Your unit cost is under $200.

For $10 million, HP could have gotten Pre 3's in the hands of the top reps. For another $20 million HP could have let the first 400,000 existing Pre owners get a $50 trade-in credit maybe as a Facebook promo. It would go viral.

Which would have done more good? $800 million on ads you don't remember? Or $30 million to get people using and talking about your product?

People sell what they know. We all do.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/11/2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I read somewhere that it was in the carriers' best interests to maintain more than one platform. I guess to them it means Android and iPhone, except Sprint, who is pushing Android and Blackberry (the Playbook)...
    Sprint and T-Mobile will get the iPhone 4S this fall. Verizon's 6-month lauch exclusive ends at the end of August.
    Pathetic.

MSFT should have made sure sales staff was better trained in their products, same as HP should have better countered the Infuse onslaught. is that thread about pathetic AT&T Veer salespeople still up? Seems it's true everyone, even carrier reps, knows or wants Apple or Google.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Thanks, Jay.

The Windows phones are free and it is making no difference.

People talk about what they know. It is often not even on purpose. You don't want to look stupid. If a prospect asks about a Windows phone, the rep may say:

"I don't know. We don't sell many of those."
    "I am sure it can do that. Let me see."
    "I can show you how it works on an {Android/iPhone}."
    "I had one of those a few years ago."
    "I don't know that either."

Each of those replies ends that discussion. The rep may not even know why it happened.

If a prospect asks about an Android or iPhone:

"That's like {my phone, my friend's phone,}."
    "You can also ___..."
    "You can use this app for that..."
    "You just..."

People sell what they know. They know what they own.

Microsoft spent $800 million on advertising in the last six months on Windows 7 phones. They failed.

There are about 100,000 full time mobile sales people in the US. Have a promotion where if they sell 5 of your phones they get one free. Half will. Your unit cost is under $200.

For $10 million, HP could have gotten Pre 3's in the hands of the top reps. For another $20 million HP could have let the first 400,000 existing Pre owners get a $50 trade-in credit maybe as a Facebook promo. It would go viral.

Which would have done more good? $800 million on ads you don't remember? Or $30 million to get people using and talking about your product?

People sell what they know. We all do.
    The phones may be free but the salespeople can still sell a contract. MSFT's advertising was to the public but they forgot to train the sales staff. There are people who are now considering W7 because of it's Xbox integration. They didn't fail entirely fail, just missed some key areas. I question if they really spent $800 million though, has it been confirmed or did MSFT just say that to try and look big? They've been caught with foot in mouth disease before.

BTW, good suggestion for HP. No Pre 3s in the hands of reps though or we would have heard about on here. Looking at how they handled the Veer "launch" on AT&T, yeah...
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Wow, seriously M$ spent $800M advertising for Windows Phone 7? I wonder where all those dollars went. The only advertisement I remember for WP7 is the one with Dave skydiving.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Wow, seriously M$ spent $800M advertising for Windows Phone 7? I wonder where all those dollars went. The only advertisement I remember for WP7 is the one with Dave skydiving.
    Hi all,

well if it was on TV forget it, I bought a TIVO the 1st day they went up for sale, so I don't often see commercials unless they are on a diffident TV...

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    half of the $800 mil went to kinect.

So $400 mil each on WP7 and on kinect. They released them both in November in the US.

Also, the money spread throughout a period of time they didn't just drop $400 mil in one month on advertising. In other words they could still be using that same money to advertise.
    As a part of the WM7 launch, Microsoft in November said that they had contracted for $800 million in advertising over 6 months to promote WM7.

The WM7 phones were all at $200 for about 40 days then they dropped to "free" or close to it since then.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    well part of this "education" is putting webos in as many different devices as possible. so u may not know about a webos phone but u have a tablet or vice versa. Later in the year it will be available for pcs as well. so more people will have the opportunity to play with it.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Here's another article showing bias against WP7:

http://www.bostonherald.com/jobfind/...&position=also

M$ just spent their money wrong. They threw all their cash at consumers and forgot about sales reps. If HP hopes to sell smartphones, they can't repeat the same mistake.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    They already have with the Veer.