1.    #1  
    I have to start using a BlackBerry on Monday. Does it make much sense to carry both? Perhaps to segment work from my private life? There is always the benefit of having a wireless device that doesn't use the company's servers.

Do any of you have BBs as well?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Does it make much sense to carry both? Perhaps to segment work from my private life? There is always the benefit of having a wireless device that doesn't use the company's servers.
    Yes, exactly for that reason, unless you are self-employed and are your own boss... Companies are getting more an more invasive with your privacy, (they are also getting more afriad of legal actions too, they don't want to get sued from something you may have in your email, or some web page you happen to browse to {on purpose or by accident, or sent a url from a well meaning but ignorant friend or co-worker}).. Protect your self.. cary both.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I was kinda leaning toward that myself. Do you use a Blackberry? How are they for Personal Information Manager function? I take it for e-mail they beat the Treo hands down (especially since the corp is paying for it!). How is it in terms of web browsing and the like? I'm really eager to start my new job, and the Blackberry is only icing on the cake!
    I dont own either a black berry or a treo.. just a prism ..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Although I only use a Treo 270, my colleagues use Blackberrys, which they love. I, of course, prefer the color and internet browsing focus of the Treo, its PIM origins (and expandibility) and its a phone too! They like the PIM functions, which appear well done. More importantly, however, is to check your company's privacy policy. Many explicitly tell you that if you use their equipment, NOTHING is private. They conceivably can and will browse your emails. They can and will monitor its use. It is a serious consideration.
    I have carried a blackberry for years and still do. And Kram, the exact reason is what you are saying. To segment work and personal data. So, basically I have the work PIM and the Treo.

The Blackberry (I have a 950) does email extremely fast and well. Unfortunately I also have to carry a pager, but we are working on that.

So, let's see. Yes, you can get internet on the blackberry, but it costs more. I used GoAmerica internet on it a few years ago and it was quick and reliable, but I paid that bill myself, it wasn't cheap. We are also using wireless calendar, so I can accept and decline meetings and it works on the fly.

Other than that, I don't use memo's or tasks. I do have my entire GAL in my address book so sending emails to the firm is no problem. IF you want add-on software, visit RimRoad. I suggest you leav it as is, only make sure the software is up to date. All those little games and crap take up memory that can be used for emails.

Oh, and since you will now be using both, be ready to mistype keys that you know on the Treo, cause the keyboard layouts are different (although rim doesn't think so).

Let me know if you have any questions about it.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by boardoe
    More importantly, however, is to check your company's privacy policy. Many explicitly tell you that if you use their equipment, NOTHING is private. They conceivably can and will browse your emails. They can and will monitor its use. It is a serious consideration.
    Yeah, that is a big concern of mine, and keeping the Treo might be a nice way around it. I can check my personal e-mail and stuff at random times during the day. It makes sense to have an avenue that completely circumvents "the man." I don't really have any reason to suppose a) they will search my mail, b) I will say anything in my e-mail that even concerns my job or c) that if I do say anything that is work relevent, that it will get me in trouble. I don't plan on doing the "Agilent Two-Step" or whatever that was called when those bankers got busted for what they sent via e-mail.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by BladeZ
    Let me know if you have any questions about it.
    Thanks for the info. I will probably stop by this site every once in a while (it's a long-hours job) and I'll try to remember to post how the "conflict" worked out.
    Oh yeah, and good luck in your new job!
    No more ten posts a day eh? Look how much posts you have racked up in such a short time!

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Thanks for the info. I will probably stop by this site every once in a while (it's a long-hours job) and I'll try to remember to post how the "conflict" worked out.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, I know. It's both amazing and pathetic. What do I have now? Somewhere over 900? When did I make that post about 600 posts? The 14th? Over 300 in two weeks.
    I used the Blackberry for a little over a year (857) before switching to the Treo 300. The Blackberry does mail very well and the push method is great. The PIM functions are adequate, but not nearly as thoughtful/powerful as the Palm. The web browser works but is much slower than the Treo 300 (w/o graphics). The color screen and the backlit keys are wonderful on the Treo, allows me to use it any time instead of most of the time! I guess the answer to your question also partly depends on how much stuff you want to haul around... Personally, I'd rather pay for a Treo than have the Blackberry for free, but they both do the job, and I always liked the build quality on the Blackberry much more than the Treo...