Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I wonder if Lisa could have made $2.7 million on Android or webOS?
    And you think her making the money is justification for Apple literally stealing her idea?

I'd really like to see someone explain how this is a reasonable or honorable action by Apple. I'd like to see it just because it would confirm what I've always thought of rabid fandom.
    Dedicated camera buttons, yes, but all Apple did here was make the Vol+ button the shutter button when inside the Camera app.
    Guess you really didn't notice the point of the story. No, that's not "all" they did. They also denied someone doing the same thing in their app, then took the idea for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Yea. But your question was could she have "made $2.7 million on Android or webOS". Obviously her app filled a missing feature that isn't missing on nearly as many devices for Android.

As for webOS, were the APIs even available at the time to do an official app for that kind of function?
    There were patches available to do that for WebOS devices, no official app though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Small developers may need to start applying for patents or something.
    Ding ding ding! Bingo! You hit the nail right on the head.

What Apple is doing is wrong. We all know it's wrong. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done and unless Apple out of the goodness of their heart compensates the developers, especially the ones whose banned apps led to features in iOS, then these developers won't see anything from Apple.

This should serve as a lesson. If you develop some very innovative feature, don't sit around waiting for your payday. Patent it! The real payday will come when Apple wants to incorporate your features and they realize you sought legal protection.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Guess you really didn't notice the point of the story. No, that's not "all" they did. They also denied someone doing the same thing in their app, then took the idea for themselves.
    They denied access to a private API; now that the API is public access, other apps can make use of it. If I were to develop an app for webOS that used a private API, it too would be denied.
    They denied access to a private API; now that the API is public access, other apps can make use of it. If I were to develop an app for webOS that used a private API, it too would be denied.
    I didn't talk to Apple on this one, nor have I seen anything first hand, but that was not the reason that was reportedly given. The reason that was reportedly given was that use of the feature could "result in user confusion". But then Apple turned right around and did it themselves.

In its rejection notice, Apple explained, “Your application cannot be added to the App Store because it uses iPhone volume buttons in a non-standard way, potentially resulting in user confusion.”
    Very inconsistent, and hypocritical.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12