1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. Please use the link for the balance of this article.

Take care,

Jay

Nintendo Wii U Underwhelms Investors

By REUTERS, June 7, 2011, (Additional reporting by Tim Kelly and Antoni Slodkowski in Tokyo; Editing by Edwin Chan, Joseph Radford and Lincoln Feast)

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

LOS ANGELES, Jun (Reuters) - The launch of Nintendo Co Ltd's next-generation Wii console failed to address investor concerns the firm is missing the gaming market's shift to social networking, sending its shares tumbling to a five-year low.

The Wii U, complete with a new touchscreen controller, is aimed at winning back hardcore gamers from rivals such as Microsoft Corp's Xbox and won early praise from industry critics at its launch at the E3 videogame expo on Tuesday.

But Nintendo shares closed down 5.7 percent in Japan on Wednesday, hitting levels not seen since before the original Wii was launched to rave reviews in late 2006.

Investors said they were worried Nintendo remained too centered on hardware as the market increasingly shifts to a battleground over software, with games played over Internet networks linking millions of players.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

FYI. Please use the link for the balance of this article.

Take care,

Jay

Nintendo Wii U Underwhelms Investors

By REUTERS, June 7, 2011, (Additional reporting by Tim Kelly and Antoni Slodkowski in Tokyo; Editing by Edwin Chan, Joseph Radford and Lincoln Feast)

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

LOS ANGELES, Jun (Reuters) - The launch of Nintendo Co Ltd's next-generation Wii console failed to address investor concerns the firm is missing the gaming market's shift to social networking, sending its shares tumbling to a five-year low.

The Wii U, complete with a new touchscreen controller, is aimed at winning back hardcore gamers from rivals such as Microsoft Corp's Xbox and won early praise from industry critics at its launch at the E3 videogame expo on Tuesday.

But Nintendo shares closed down 5.7 percent in Japan on Wednesday, hitting levels not seen since before the original Wii was launched to rave reviews in late 2006.

Investors said they were worried Nintendo remained too centered on hardware as the market increasingly shifts to a battleground over software, with games played over Internet networks linking millions of players.
    That will change when Nintendo has software to show. I don't think developers have had the Wii-U hardware for a while otherwise they would have shown actual Wii-U gameplay footage, and not Xbox 360/PS3 footage.
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

/copsiren

Anyways, I think this is awesome for Nintendo. Cool looking system, great hardware, 1080p game output (*twice res of xb & ps3), only thing it's missing is a normal controller!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I think the fact that you can still use existing wii remotes is pretty cool, and the new controller is awesome. Imagine playing Call of Duty when the wife wants to watch Dancing with the Stars....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    You can use the Nintendo Classic (GameCube) Controller, and the Pro version as you did with the vanilla Wii.

Nintendo only released info primarily about the new controller, they didn't focus much on the rest of the hardware and hardly nothing on software (in comparison to Sony's and MS' press conferences).
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Meh, forget what investors say. Everyone who's used it has said they like it, it look pretty cool, and it will have nice games. That's all that matters.
    Does this mean the Wii U will have no online multiplayer? Is that what the investors are worried about?

On the consumer front though, some gamers are getting ****ed that many new games gimp single player campaign for emphasis on the online multiplayer.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The Wii U will have both. Nintendo software never gimps the single player. They are dropping those pathetic friend codes, so that is good. Going with a PS3 type model from what I can tell.

What does this mean then? My first thought is the investors are griping about no online. Or is it that they have no online community like PSN and Live?

"It's not that we're negative about the network, but if we ignore those customers who don't link their game consoles up to the Internet, that goes against our strategy of expanding the games market,"
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They are likely irritated that Nintendo didn't dive full on into the year 2015 when we will not need hardware anymore let alone TV's. This is of course the year that we will see portable fusion devices and Cubs winning the World Series.

Investors are always jittery when Nintendo tries to reinvent the wheel. The thing is, Nintendo already knows how to do that and they will push shares higher when this thing goes on sale.

This Wii U will probably do well, but I have no interest in it. My 360 & Xbox Live is all I need. Once Microsoft releases it's next-gen console, I'll be all over that.
    The article clearly said social networking is what they are griping about. Not that Nintendo didn't innovate.

It does sound to me like they wanted Nintendo to focus more on online activities to compete with Live and PSN.

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    this wii u thing probably just saved the ps vita and gave a boost to ps3... its pretty much the same functions as but sony is selling everything seperate!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!