Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. Please use the provide link to read the balance of this article.

Take care,

Jay

Why is Research in Motion Crashing and Burning?
    By Stephen Zhu, June 07 2011

Why is Research in Motion Crashing and Burning? (NASDAQ:RIMM, NYSE:XLK) | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

Remember that intriguing and innovative upstart from Canada that started taking the corporate world by storm with the BlackBerry about ten years ago? Research In Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) once seemed poised for explosive returns with a solid enterprise user base and high quality consumer products. Back in 2007, Jim Cramer dubbed RIM one of his new Four Horsemen of Tech, along with Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) and Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) .
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think everyone but RIM see's why.
    If Kramer likes them, they are doomed.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Judging by the three "recent" blackberry's work has provided me with, they rested on their laurels. I haven't seen the most current version of Blackberry, but the previous iterations didn't seem to improve very much. And I never thought of them as a personal device manufacturer.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    well rimm has no debt, so as a company they are in solid footing, but they also have no growth, so as a stock, they suck.... they are on the path of nokia, the should get bought out though
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I just don't get RIM users and why they like their tech so much. All I've seen from RIM lately seems dated and 2 or 3 years ago R&D wise. QNX has been around forever (I remember using it back in the 90s on my old Amiga 4000), but from what I can see it doesn't support the Mobile arena very well or RIM would have already moved their platforms over from RIM 6.0 and 7.0.

Either way, I have a few friends all using BB and love their Bold and other older RIM devices. My friends contracts are up come July and August and RIM better kick into high gear before they jump ship and land somewhere else and probably IOS and Android with ATT pushing both of these heavily. Sorli...
    I see why blackberry users have stuck around. Plainly blackberrys work and they are secure. That's great for business, but not very appealing to consumers. It was a fad when consumers started buy blackberrys, and that fad has ended and it's going back to its original stance as pro business. Apple is making inroads into the enterprise space, but android will never make a dent there. Blackberry will be in the enterprise niche and will hopefully profitable.

I fear that Rim is going to be stupid and make it too android compatible and end up losing its enterprise base and it will frankly never compete with the android super phones.

Rim needs to refresh its os and start putting out phones with more features for the consumer, but don't forget the quality that keeps many people with blackberrys and continue to satisfy their enterprise customers.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    I see why blackberry users have stuck around. Plainly blackberrys work and they are secure. That's great for business, but not very appealing to consumers. It was a fad when consumers started buy blackberrys, and that fad has ended and it's going back to its original stance as pro business. Apple is making inroads into the enterprise space, but android will never make a dent there. Blackberry will be in the enterprise niche and will hopefully profitable.

I fear that Rim is going to be stupid and make it too android compatible and end up losing its enterprise base and it will frankly never compete with the android super phones.

Rim needs to refresh its os and start putting out phones with more features for the consumer, but don't forget the quality that keeps many people with blackberrys and continue to satisfy their enterprise customers.
    Hi,

I think Apple would have made far more inroads into the enterprise area, if they had a actual keyboard....the comment I get from my friends who have BB's say, I'm so used to a keyboard, I don't want to type on glass...(actually I don't ether)...

Which should put HP/Palm is a good situation if the Pre3 goes over well....after all HP will do well in the enterprise area, they're in a fantastic position. They will say to a firm, we'll give you a better deal on new computer systems for your office, if you decide to use TouchPads...I'm hoping that the Pre3 will be able to piggy back onto that with touch to share, etc....

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

I think Apple would have made far more inroads into the enterprise area, if they had a actual keyboard....the comment I get from my friends who have BB's say, I'm so used to a keyboard, I don't want to type on glass...(actually I don't ether)...

Which should put HP/Palm is a good situation if the Pre3 goes over well....after all HP will do well in the enterprise area, they're in a fantastic position. They will say to a firm, we'll give you a better deal on new computer systems for your office, if you decide to use TouchPads...I'm hoping that the Pre3 will be able to piggy back onto that with touch to share, etc....

Take care,

jay
    Most people hate the idea of a virtual keyboard without ever having used one. Sure, a VKB isn't for everyone but I guarantee those that are quick to dismiss it, if they only gave it a real shot might find it's actually better than most physical keyboards.

Personally, I can type much faster on a virtual keyboard (without even looking) than I can on any mobile physical keyboard that's after I get accustom to how the OS' auto-correct works (which is key). You quickly learn when a word is going to be corrected, it's almost like muscle memory. For example, if I start typing a long word and see that I misspelled it I don't even attempt to correct it because I know when I move to the next word it's going to be fixed automatically.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Most people hate the idea of a virtual keyboard without ever having used one. Sure, a VKB isn't for everyone but I guarantee those that are quick to dismiss it, if they only gave it a real shot might find it's actually better than most physical keyboards.

Personally, I can type much faster on a virtual keyboard (without even looking) than I can on any mobile physical keyboard that's after I get accustom to how the OS' auto-correct works (which is key). You quickly learn when a word is going to be corrected, it's almost like muscle memory. For example, if I start typing a long word and see that I misspelled it I don't even attempt to correct it because I know when I move to the next word it's going to be fixed automatically.
    Hi,

I can't stand typing on a virtual keyboard. Perhaps it's my disability from the but I find the experience annoying, (from a failed spinal/neck surgery.....funny this should come up now, I was just speaking to my closest friend who has an Iphone for almost 2 years and is so tired of the virtual keyboard, be wants to try a Pre3 when it is at long lats up for sale!

take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

I completely agree with you on the virtual keyboard part. I had both iPhone 3gs and HP Palm Pre, and I used to find it much easier to write on iPhone than on Pre as iPhone used to auto correct most of my typing mistake while on Pre I needed to manually edit them.

Overall I think HP touchpad Virtual keyboard will be the best in the business as Touchpad is having both numbers and alphabets keys on the main screen.
    I can't stand typing on a virtual keyboard.
    I'm with you on this. I've been using tiny physical keyboards for years and have resisted virtual ones but I recently got my daughter an iPod touch and my wife an HTC Desire HD so I have had to use them quite a bit while setting things up for them.

I find I make a lot of mistakes (despite the correction) and it is quite uncomfortable. It's always a pleasure to go back to my Pre keyboard afterwards.

That said, the worst experience I had was with a windows mobile device I had with a horizontal slider (I forget the model, I have tried to forget the whole sorry experience). I thought it would be great but, in fact, it was terrible. Doing anything (inlcluding looking up a contact) involved sliding out the keyboard, holding it in both hands, typing and (in the case of making a call) closing the keyboard again before you could hold it up to your ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Apple is making inroads into the enterprise space, but android will never make a dent there.
    Never make a dent? Despite Android's shortcomings in device security, they already have! And with 3.0, those shortcomings will have been patched.

Also Motorola's Droid Pro, XPRT and Titanium provide encrypted storage even without 3.0, which is the main complaint with Android for business.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I hate not having a keyboard either. I can't get used to the typing on glass. Even on a tablet where it's a lot bigger I still don't really like it.

No keyboard-less phone for me.

I also wonder if RIM has certain patents on phone keyboards because for some reason their keyboards are unmatched. Every other phone keyboard sucks compared to the ones RIM use on their handsets.

Still a big selling point for many people I think!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    I'm the same about keyboards. My signature should make that obvious. That's why I have a Pixi. If the XPRT had been available at the time, however, I dare say I probably would have gone that route. Glad I didn't though. Love my Pixi.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Never make a dent? Despite Android's shortcomings in device security, they already have! And with 3.0, those shortcomings will have been patched.

Also Motorola's Droid Pro, XPRT and Titanium provide encrypted storage even without 3.0, which is the main complaint with Android for business.
    But are companies and/or prosumers adopting these devices? I think that's what he means by making a dent.
    ... I was just speaking to my closest friend who has an Iphone for almost 2 years and is so tired of the virtual keyboard...
    Steve Jobs has little hands. The iPhone is designed specifically for him. If you have larger hands the surface area of your finger tips is just too big for the little 3.5" iPhone.

Likewise egaudet's virtual keyboard for the Pre is a wonder but a 3.1" screen is a challenge. I can almost use a 4" screen. On a 4.3" screen I can fly. I tried the 4.5" Infuse at Best Buy and it is a stunning difference.

The other big thing for me is having a really good predictive keyboard. SwiftKey predicts my words before I can type them, giving me three "predictions" based on my past usage. Often one is exactly what I was thinking. The scary part is that at least one of the others is a word that will take the sentence a better way. Rumor is that SwiftKey approached HP but HP is not interested.

But more and more, it has learned my speech patterns so well now that I just say it instead of typing. On my Pre, I can read the forums. On my EVO I can post almost as easily as from my PC.

And think how many of our broken Pre's were due to the sliding keyboard: Oreo, close-reboot, etc. Moving parts eventually stop. The EVO could be used as a weapon.

As to "Why is Research in Motion Crashing and Burning?"...

Because RIM is fighting last year's war. They are trying to match old technology instead of innovating. RIM needs to Think Beyond not Think Back.

The speed of innovation is so fast that generations are measured in months now, not years. Samsung has promised investors that they will have new flagship devices every 6 months.

The Torch 2 would have been a great phone a year ago.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/08/2011 at 09:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I agree with milominderbinder about why RIM is not doing well - they have a good basic device, but it's not what is ultimately desired by consumers today. The explosion of other smartphones by consumers shows that.

I have a BB for work (Bold) and while capable for ordinary things it's not interesting as a device for fun items (web browsing, apps, etc). I like the Pre much more.

The touchscreen interface is better too than the optical trackball on the Bold. It takes longer to get to what I want on the Bold.

I also find the Pre keyboard faster to type on than the Bold - I make a lot more mistakes on the BB because I press nearby keys more easily. The higher resistance of the Pre keys means fewer typing mistakes for me. I would have initially expected the opposite given the larger keyboard on the BB.

Regarding the VKB vs physical one discussion, I'm not faster on the VKB. I tried the one on the Pre and I'm far slower on it than the keys. As a touch typist, the physical keys are easier to use since I'm not looking at the keyboard.

However, I think companies should offer both on product lines. It's a matter of preference and both choices should be available. The world should be big enough for both (neither side should cram their choice down the other).
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Regarding the VKB vs physical one discussion, I'm not faster on the VKB. I tried the one on the Pre and I'm far slower on it than the keys. As a touch typist, the physical keys are easier to use since I'm not looking at the keyboard.
    With all due respect, the VKB on the Pre is a sorry excuse for a keyboard. It really does suck and shouldn't be used for comparison in how well you work with a VKB. If you want a good idea, try iOS or one of the great Android keyboards and make a solid judgment from it.

Just like a physical keyboard regarding its size and layout, software and UI makes all the difference when it comes to a good VKB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    But are companies and/or prosumers adopting these devices? I think that's what he means by making a dent.
    It's very rare nowadays that a company chooses a phone for its employees. Since smartphones have really gained ground as consumer devices--not just business tools--people want to use their own personal phone as their smartphone for work. They don't want to be told to use a certain phone, nor do they want to have to carry a personal phone and a work phone.

So to answer your question, do you know anyone that owns an Android phone and has a job?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast