Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    With all due respect, the VKB on the Pre is a sorry excuse for a keyboard. It really does suck and shouldn't be used for comparison in how well you work with a VKB. If you want a good idea, try iOS or one of the great Android keyboards and make a solid judgment from it.

    Just like a physical keyboard regarding its size and layout, software and UI makes all the difference when it comes to a good VKB.
    iOS virtual keyboard sucks too. No Swype, no virtual keyboard imo.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It's very rare nowadays that a company chooses a phone for its employees...snip?
    This is speculation, not fact.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    But are companies and/or prosumers adopting these devices? I think that's what he means by making a dent.
    That's what I meant, a dent in the enterprise market.

    Until google screens every application for malware and curbs access to sensitive parts of the os, then it will never make it in any secure business. There are too many apps and games that violate my security. For instance, my very good friend has an evo, he was downloaded a game, well it asked for access to his contact list... why does a game need his all of his contacts. From that day I disavowed any use of android in my business and personal life. I am a business owner and as a person, if I see you pull out an android phone I give them my general number never my personal one.
  4. jp99's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It's very rare nowadays that a company chooses a phone for its employees
    I'd have to see data to believe this. I've worked for three large corporations over the last 3 years, and all were BB (or feature phone alternative) with no choice. Each company is over $1B in revenue with many, many employees. I don't believe "rare" is the correct word today.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It's very rare nowadays that a company chooses a phone for its employees. Since smartphones have really gained ground as consumer devices--not just business tools--people want to use their own personal phone as their smartphone for work. They don't want to be told to use a certain phone, nor do they want to have to carry a personal phone and a work phone.

    So to answer your question, do you know anyone that owns an Android phone and has a job?
    Yes, but I don't know of anyone with an android whose job allows them to access the network. Ofcourse, I don't know very many people, but I do know that my fortune 300 employer doesn't allow or plan to allow android devices on the network. The CEO is the only one with an iphone on it and apparently IT had to do plenty of mumbo-jumbo before that was approved. But we are free to bring our BBs to IT and they'll let us on. Its either that or a feature phone.
  6. #26  
    RIM is a sad case of sitting comfortably in its own success too long. It's true, back then, a business phone meant you get a blackberry. There was a clear distinction between personal and enterprise user and RIM ruled the enterprise universe. The iphone and the smartphones that followed quickly erased that distinction and RIM has failed to see that being blind by its success and denial. Seriously what can a blackberry do that an iphone or an android phone can't? Instead the products they push have been just refreshes of their ancient design. If the classic blackberry design had indeed become a classic, great, but the problem is that the classic blackberry just became old. RIM needs a serious shakeup. Should've bought Palm when it had the chance and had to settle for QNX.

    You can think of RIM like Ford or GM. So much of their business relied on corporate fleets, which kept them afloat regardless of how much the products sucked. Right, I'm talking about the Taurus and Impalas.
  7. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #27  
    QNX is a much better buy than Palm.

    RIM is buying the operating system (which is more suited in an embedded environment) AND the engineers. Basically all the key Palm engineers had already been poached by the Android team.
  8. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    QNX is a much better buy than Palm.

    RIM is buying the operating system (which is more suited in an embedded environment) AND the engineers. Basically all the key Palm engineers had already been poached by the Android team.
    Man let wait for June 16 news conference of RIM and then we will talk.
    Right now Touchpad is going to launch on 1st July and it will certainly crush Playbook. WebOS is still 1000000000000times better than QNX.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    QNX is a much better buy than Palm.

    RIM is buying the operating system (which is more suited in an embedded environment) AND the engineers. Basically all the key Palm engineers had already been poached by the Android team.
    Palm's tech people all had non-compete clauses. HP released them because they feel that their own people are better.

    As Maitas Duarte and the others left, HP was announcing the transfers in from portable products division.

    HP was not caught off-guard. It was on purpose.
  10. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Man let wait for June 16 news conference of RIM and then we will talk.
    Right now Touchpad is going to launch on 1st July and it will certainly crush Playbook. WebOS is still 1000000000000times better than QNX.
    The tablet is a sideshow. The real business is the blackberry OS transition to QNX.

    QNX is an embedded OS --- it only really shines when you put it into smaller and smaller devices. The Playbook is not small enough to show the true power of the embeddedness of the operating system.
  11. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Palm's tech people all had non-compete clauses. HP released them because they feel that their own people are better.

    As Maitas Duarte and the others left, HP was announcing the transfers in from portable products division.

    HP was not caught off-guard. It was on purpose.
    That's a different issue --- HP has over 300,000 employees to transfer in from. RIM doesn't have that luxury.
  12. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The tablet is a sideshow. The real business is the blackberry OS transition to QNX.

    QNX is an embedded OS --- it only really shines when you put it into smaller and smaller devices. The Playbook is not small enough to show the true power of the embeddedness of the operating system.
    Yeah right,QNX needs a smaller device to shine that the reason RIM have announced a OS7 handset and not QNX handset.
    RIM people know that QNX is right now not optimized for mobile devices that the reason they are bringing OS7 handset.

    A tablet is a sideshow but Playbook was a very expensive sideshow for RIM.

    Btw the amount of respect they lost in the tech world and in front of normal user is never going to return for RIM.
    Playbook just showed that RIM can't innovate and right now most of their product are half baked or outdated by the time they release.
    Playbook OS is a direct copy of WebOS and there is no two way to see it.

    Btw ******* of RIM will never see that RIM is failing, its stock prices are at 2 year low and right now even RIM doesn't know which OS they are going to have next year.
  13. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    That's a different issue --- HP has over 300,000 employees to transfer in from. RIM doesn't have that luxury.
    I don't understand why a RIM ****** has to come to HP WebOS forum to defend RIM.
    If they are good they will survive but if they are not they will not and right now things are bad for RIM.

    Playbook was horrible and RIM new handset will release by September at the earliest.


    And regarding RIM is growing in emerging market, this joy will be short lived as by next year most Android handset will be as cheap as RIM handset and as always Android will offer more features than RIM.

    I am from India, 3year back Nokia was number 1 in India but now it is not even in the top 3, and RIM may be growing now but the availability of cheaper Android phone people here are starting to get Android phones instead of RIM.

    So stop giving the bull**** that RIM will survive because it is a big player in emerging market, just see what happened to Nokia and you will understand people here want the best features for less money.
    And Android will give them the best feature for less money.

    iMessage will be the death bell for RIM.
  14. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    I don't understand why a RIM ****** has to come to HP WebOS forum to defend RIM.
    I don't understand your hatred of me, period.

    It was a simple comment. RIM bought a bunch of engineers --- and that's not even enough because QNX is hiring people like crazy right now.

    HP has over 300,000 employees worldwide to transfer to Palm --- fine. RIM doesn't have that luxury.
  15. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    I don't understand your hatred of me, period.

    It was a simple comment. RIM bought a bunch of engineers --- and that's not even enough because QNX is hiring people like crazy right now.

    HP has over 300,000 employees worldwide to transfer to Palm --- fine. RIM doesn't have that luxury.
    It is not hatred to you but on RIM or iPhone ******* in general, why do ******* have to come to different forum to try and defends their companies.

    QNX is better suited for smaller device, which I thought was an incorrect observation as even RIM said till dual core processor are not the norm, they can't release QNX phones.

    And right now RIM are testing QNX features on tablet to make it perfect for their QNX based mobile phones launch next year.

    And QNX is not a copy of WebOS is just plain silly.


    And commenting QNX was a better purchase for RIM than Palm was again a comment worth discussing. Just ask google if they had an option they could purchase Palm right now, only for Palm software patents.
  16. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    I don't understand your hatred of me, period.

    It was a simple comment. RIM bought a bunch of engineers --- and that's not even enough because QNX is hiring people like crazy right now.

    HP has over 300,000 employees worldwide to transfer to Palm --- fine. RIM doesn't have that luxury.
    If you think I have a hatred to you then I would think you have blind love for RIM.
    Assumption are a reason for lots of misunderstanding.
  17. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Yeah right,QNX needs a smaller device to shine that the reason RIM have announced a OS7 handset and not QNX handset.
    RIM people know that QNX is right now not optimized for mobile devices that the reason they are bringing OS7 handset.
    They are bringing OS 6.1 handsets out because they were already deep into the development.

    You are right that QNX is nowhere near optimized. The Playbook OS update 3 days ago --- freed up almost 200 MB in "free memory" for the Playbook.

    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/an...update-621298/

    Much of the Playbook UI is still running on the CPU, not the GPU (video at 25:30).



    Just imagine how fast QNX is --- when they actually optimize it.
  18. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    It is not hatred to you but on RIM or iPhone ******* in general, why do ******* have to come to different forum to try and defends their companies.

    QNX is better suited for smaller device, which I thought was an incorrect observation as even RIM said till dual core processor are not the norm, they can't release QNX phones.

    And right now RIM are testing QNX features on tablet to make it perfect for their QNX based mobile phones launch next year.

    And QNX is not a copy of WebOS is just plain silly.


    And commenting QNX was a better purchase for RIM than Palm was again a comment worth discussing. Just ask google if they had an option they could purchase Palm right now, only for Palm software patents.
    RIM said a lot of things --- you might as well believed that RIM bought QNX because they wanted to go into the car market. RIM knew that they can't get QNX onto blackberries until 18-24 months after the acquisition --- and by that time, dual-core chipsets would be optimized for the handset market. That's why they said QNX will be on dual-core blackberries.

    RIM was interested in Palm patents --- nothing more, nothing less. If RIM bought Palm, they would have discarded webos anyway.

    Apple Tried To Buy Palm Before HP Won The Bidding War -- And RIM Completely Blew The Deal
  19. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The tablet is a sideshow. The real business is the blackberry OS transition to QNX.

    QNX is an embedded OS --- it only really shines when you put it into smaller and smaller devices. The Playbook is not small enough to show the true power of the embeddedness of the operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    They are bringing OS 6.1 handsets out because they were already deep into the development.

    You are right that QNX is nowhere near optimized. The Playbook OS update 3 days ago --- freed up almost 200 MB in "free memory" for the Playbook.

    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/an...update-621298/

    Much of the Playbook UI is still running on the CPU, not the GPU (video at 25:30).



    Just imagine how fast QNX is --- when they actually optimize it.

    So you just contradicted yourself by saying QNX is optimised for smaller devices and then saying it is not yet optimised.
    First decide yourself if it optimized or not.


    Btw weren't RIM promising PIM apps by June 16th what happened to that promise. I haven't heard anything about this till now.
    June 16 will really decide how RIM will progress.

    Btw for all RIM *******, telling RIM is not shrinking due to emerging market just see the example of Nokia, who were king of the emerging market few years back and now they are not even relevant.
  20. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    So you just contradicted yourself by saying QNX is optimised for smaller devices and then saying it is not yet optimised.
    First decide yourself if it optimized or not.


    Btw weren't RIM promising PIM apps by June 16th what happened to that promise. I haven't heard anything about this till now.
    June 16 will really decide how RIM will progress.

    Btw for all RIM *******, telling RIM is not shrinking due to emerging market just see the example of Nokia, who were king of the emerging market few years back and now they are not even relevant.
    Mis-wording on my part. Tablet OS is nowhere near optimized.

    "Native" Playbook PIM apps are actually java apps --- run within the Blackberry Player (aka the JVM). RIM may very well be late on delivering them --- but that doesn't necessarily show how RIM will "progress". But once they got the JVM working, it means that 20,000 legacy Blackberry apps will not be far behind in coming to the Playbook.

    Nokia was never really been relevant in the smartphone business --- the N-series phones have always been sold as a high-end feature phone. Dubious statistics like China was the largest market for the n-series 3G smartphone in the world --- when China didn't even have any 3G networks at the time.

    China Loves Nokia's N-series Phones - Softpedia

    I never believed those dubious statistics from Nokia from the start.
    Last edited by samab; 06/09/2011 at 01:49 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions