1) Palm Pilot Personal...broke
    2) Palm III...broke
    3) Philips Nino...old PPC...buggy...sold it
    4) Handspring Visor...nice...gave to girlfriend
    5) Handspring Prism...color...sold
    6) iPaq 3700 w/Motorola Timeport 270...Love PocketPC...sold it
    7) Audiovox Thera (1 week)...brought back
    8) Handspring Treo...nice but lacking...sold on eBay
    9) SonyEricsson T68m...cool little phone...Bluetooth...was going to get a Bluetooth iPaq but wanted a one piece again

Today) T-Mobile PocketPC
    I love it. Nice size. Great screen, even in the sun.
    Great OS...Phone works great...SMS...email!
    WebSurfing is quick and fun with Thunderhawk!
    Never going back to Palm again!

I'm just afraid I'm going to drop it!
    --NickC--
  2.    #2  
    ----and I bought it brand new on eBay for $450! Nice!
    --NickC--
    Why I don't like that thing:

Not a real phone. I like having the "flip phone" quality of the Treo. I love just dumping the Treo in my pocket. I wouldn't do that with the PPC because it doesn't have a cover over the screen.

Data entry is not great. Once you go thumboard you'll never go back.

Frankly, those are dealbreakers for me. :-( Too bad because I love that screen!
    Have to agree. The T-Mobile machine looks like it's what we call the XDA over here in the UK and a friend of mine has one.

The screen is GORGEOUS (although not as good as my old Nokia 9210) and, at the risk of alienating many on here, PalmOS is a toy operating system compared to the other PDA OSes out there like PocketPC and Symbian. But the Treo wins hands down solely on its form factor and usability. It's possibly the best mobile phone I've ever used (and I've used LOADS over the years) and a damn good organiser to boot. The form factor is unbeatable by anything currently on the market -- it feels natural in use as both phone and PDA. Finally, the keyboard has hit precisely the right combination between size and usability.

I like the XDA but I couldn't lose the Treo's keyboard and the phone module on the XDA is clunky at best.

Now, what I'd REALLY like would be for Nokia's next communicator to totally rip off the Treo in terms of form factor and physical design, but to retain their version of Symbian as the OS and to maintain the screen quality and resolution of the 9210...
    My philosophy is "if it ain't completely natural in fitting the way you already live it's not going to be all that useful to you."

I don't think PalmOS is a toy operating system. In fact I kinda like it more than PocketPC just because everything is done so much faster and with much less battery consumption. If you need a pocket computer, I guess you could call it a toy. If you need a PDA it's great. BTW I'm just comparing it with PPC, not Symbian. I'm an American and therefore have no experience with it, though during the year I spent in London I saw a bunch of those little clamshell organizers with Symbian. I chugged along with my IIIx though!
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

Not a real phone.

Data entry is not great. Once you go thumboard you'll never go back.
    Not that I know a great deal about the T-Mobile PPC, but how is not a real phone? If makes and receives voice calls, it sounds like a real phone to me.

Thumboards are definately personal preference. Just as you do not like devices without it, I would never own a device with it.

I have a TwoWay Pager with the Thumboard and I really despise it. I can use Graffiti/Block Recognizer so much faster. Granted, I _might_ feel differently if I had a Treo and used it strictly for SMS.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I've seen people on here and other PDA forums bemoan the lack of a middle ground between PalmOS and Pocket PC. Well guys, Symbian is it. Enough grunt to run decent-sized apps, simple and streamlined enough not to require a huge hardware spec and a car battery to run it. And it is picking up market share as a result of a number of European smartphone manufacturers using it, eg. Nokia, and Sony/Ericsson. (Actually it'll be interesting to see how Sony/Ericsson reconcile their OS positions, with Ericsson committed to Symbian but Sony producing some very nice PalmOS based kit).

I am amazed that there hasn't been a spate of Treo-alikes from phone manufacturers, though. Closest is Palm's imminent Tungsten W and in terms of design it's a poor imitation at best (although the hi-res screen and OS 4.x are pluses). C'mon Nokia, get a Symbian Treo-alike out!
    Maybe Palm OS is a toy in comparison to other operating systems (again depends on your needs) but I assume that is OS4 you are talking about.

OS5 is just reaching the market now and it is supposed to be much more powerful, we won't really know all the things it can do until we get to play with it.

BTW, OS4 works fine for my needs, an address book, datebook, notepad, scuba diving log book, calculator, and databases. Video and other (computer-type stuff is gravy this non-power user does not have a need for right now! So take my OS4, add a nice form fitting phone (not on GSM or Sprint) and I would be happy!

And oh yeah, this one is very important...I can synch with all of my friends, family, and wife who are on Palm OS. Changing to Symbian or PPC would leave me disconnected as I know nobody and I mean NOBODY who has a PPC or Symbian!
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    I am really starting to like the palm os it is simple and it works well. seldom if ever crashes and the apps are simple and practical to use.
    This thread has all the makings of a PPC-Symbian-Palm OS royal rumble. So far everything's civil.
    Symbian and PPC has a long way to go to match the Palm OS. A lot of the things that these new PPC devices sport will be included in Palm OS 5 devices. IN essence, you will have the best of both worlds in Palm OS 5 devices..simple and intuitive OS with the power and features of a PPC.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    The treo is my first Pda so I am no expert. But what I found lacking on the treo was accessing my access database. I could not find any app that got the data I needed. I think this was more my database then the apps like thinkdb. I finally found out I could copy and past the data in excel and use quickoffice to view it works fine. I had a fellow write me some excel spreadsheets to do inventory and they would not run right on the PDA. I had a hell of a time finding a app that would let me access the subdirectories under the inbox of outlook 2002. When I did I found it was just easier to leave 2 months worth of emails in my inbox.
    Itís nut surprising that the palm OS doesnít work great with Microsoft apps. But other then that I found it really simple and practical to use. Far more useful then I thought. The apps are simple and they usually work great with no problems.
    I sure like the keyboard as my writing sucks. So I may not want a pocket pc till they have a keyboard.
    I don't think you can just blithely say "Symbian and PPC has a long way to go to match the Palm OS". Symbian/Psion has been very feature rich for years now in a relatively small hardware footprint -- which to me is also what Palm OS is about. PPC is a very different animal and I do wonder about Palm OS 5, whether or not they're trying to be too PPC for their own good. I think Palm should stick to what they're good at -- simplicity.

For me, though, nothing beats Symbian on the Nokia 9210. Simple enough to zap around with a couple of key-presses, complex enough to be about to implement some very advanced, desktop PC-like applications. (Doom, anyone? ) Thus far on my journeys with my Treo I've found that equivalent Palm OS apps are invariably an order of magntitude less complex -- for example, WordSmith pales in comparison with the basic text editor that comes with the Nokia.

I'm still very happy with the Treo, though. So I can't play Doom on it. But it's a damn good phone, the calendar is plenty good enough and the web browser is just good enough for me to load up a HTML form/perl script and do live updates of my web site. Those are the three key applications for me and the Treo handles them fine. Maddog's right, everything else is just gravy. But I would still love something Treo sized with a bit more grunt at both hardware and OS level, and a better screen.
    Originally posted by yardie
    Symbian and PPC has a long way to go to match the Palm OS.
    Depending on what you want to match, the reverse is just as true, if not more so.

I have two Handspring Visor Deluxe models here. I have gone through a Prism and a CLIE. Now, I use an iPaq 3955. There is not one thing, not one, that I could do with any of my PalmOS devices that I cannot do with my PPC.

I have now spent almost two months with my iPaq and can honestly say it is not complicated to use. It is different from Palm, but it is not more complicated. Granted, there are more complicated features included in the PPC, but those are also the more robust features that are offered.

Also, battery life is significantly improved with the 3900 series. I have a MemPlug Expansion pack on it all the time. I have a MemoryStick in it and either a CF Card or a CF WiFi card installed as well. Battery life is still close to my CLIE 760. Yes, it is larger, but I can remove the expansion pack it is very slim, plus it has the SD Slot, which is I/O capable.

It all comes down to preference. Depending on what the user wants out of the device should determine what they buy. I will say this though. There is an application that I bought called PocketInformant. It is a Contact Manager/Datebook program. If this app did not exist, I would have never switched to PPC. The one thing I loved on my Palm was DateBook5 and PocketInformant is as close as it gets.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by Doggy
    OS5 is just reaching the market now and it is supposed to be much more powerful,
    I'm afraid you are in for a disappointment. OS5 is nothing more than a port of OS4.1 for ARM, with pretty new icons. That's about it.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    I'm afraid you are in for a disappointment. OS5 is nothing more than a port of OS4.1 for ARM, with pretty new icons. That's about it.
    Exactly - you will have to wait for the (nearly mythical) OS6 before Palm OS will be able to do many of the nifty things PPC (and Symbian perhaps?) have been doing for a while now. As an added benefit, by OS6, Palm-based computers will NEED more powerful processors to handle all the additional processing overhead of a more complex OS (like PPC!).

Kupe
  17.    #17  
    Hey! I forgot I started this thread. Here are a few thoughts:

1) I only had my Treo long enough to know that I like graffiti better. It's called BLOCK RECOGINIZER on the PPC and is exactly the same as the palm graffiti so I never skipped a beat.

2) The phone actually works better than when I had the Treo with the same service. I drop less calls...reception is better. Maybe service got better in that same timeframe...who knows?
    As far as I can tell...I think I get approximately 4.5 hours talk time before having to recharge. NICE!

3) Form factor is not a big problem to me other than the FACE JUICE that accumulates on the screen. I had the same problem with the TREO though. I still slip it into my pocket easily...If you havn't held one yet...it's bigger...but not as big as you'd think.

4) It's made really well. Metal exterior. Nice weight. Doesn't feel as fragile as the TREO but I'm sure I'll change my tune once this baby hits the concrete.

5) Browsing through THUNDERHAWK (www.bitstream.com) is NICE! Just like surfing on a slow dial-up PC...but the quality of how it renders the page is GREAT!

6) MSWord, MSExcel, MSPocket Streets, MSMoney, the TODAY Screen...Windows Media Player, Stereo Headset, SD Card Slot, Nicer screen, Voice Recorder....It just seems I'm getting more for what I pay for...without having to buy after market programs to do what I want it to do. When it comes down to it...this is key!

7) I think the newest iPaqs will kick this to the side with the addition of built in GPS (I heard somewhere), BlueTooth, SDIO as well as a bunch of other new gimmicks!

Later!
    --NickC--
    Have always been a Palm OS user (from Pilot Personal through current Treo 300, and most everything in between)...

Everytime I look at the PPC, it just seems more difficult to do what I want to do quickly... I would love to see two users side-by-side trying to accomplish the same task on a Palm device vs. PPC.. I would bet that the Palm device can do things more quickly and with fewer clicks/strokes/etc

Any takers ?
    Originally posted by sanovak3681
    Have always been a Palm OS user (from Pilot Personal through current Treo 300, and most everything in between)...

Everytime I look at the PPC, it just seems more difficult to do what I want to do quickly... I would love to see two users side-by-side trying to accomplish the same task on a Palm device vs. PPC.. I would bet that the Palm device can do things more quickly and with fewer clicks/strokes/etc

Any takers ?
    It really depends on what you want to do and how well you have each machine set-up.

The biggest difference would be in launching an Application. In PPC, you can create Folders just as you would on your PC. This could potentially require a user to tap through multiple folders to get to the shortcut and launch the app. Where with Palm OS, you simply change Categories. Any app can be launched with 1 to 2 tap of the screen. Granted, the same holds true for PPC, it just depends on how the GUI is configured. Personally, I like having the option to configure it the way I want.

As for doing things such as entering appointments, tasks and contacts they are pretty much the same. It depends on the Application really. If you use nothing but the built-in PIM Software it would take no longer to do so on PPC. Personally, once I found DateBook5 on Palm and PocketInformant on PPC, I never looked back at the built-in apps.

Coming from using a Handspring/Sony the PPC devices seemed very difficult. Really, they are not. It has to do with what you are familiar with. Once you get familiar with a PPC, it is no harder or slower to use than a Palm.