Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    By the way, according to Jon Gruber:

Just to give you an idea of how much carrier approval Apple needs.
    Do they really care? BBM and other cross platform IMs have been around for ages.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    this is why i cant get a verizon phone now a days no matter how much i want to. its crazy, it takes then over six months in some cases to release updates. ATT is slow as well. the only one that actually lets phones get updated is sprint....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I find it very hard to believe that Carriers would allow software on their network without ANY idea how its release would affect the network or people perception of their network.

That said, I'm surprised that Verizon is content with having a device that is inferior to its competitors verision in so many ways for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that Carriers would allow software on their network without ANY idea how its release would affect the network or people perception of their network.

That said, I'm surprised that Verizon is content with having a device that is inferior to its competitors verision in so many ways for so long.
    Not having a beta feature that's not fully operational makes them inferior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Do they really care? BBM and other cross platform IMs have been around for ages.
    Of course they care, SMS is a cash cow for carriers.
    You guys are forgetting that GSM is a whole different animal than CDMA. Verizon iPhone is the first CDMA iPhone. All prior iPhone lived on GSM. And every GSM carrier is already set up to allow any phone on their network via a SIM card.

Verizon isn't. Verizon has a *lot* of say as to which MEIDs will be allowed to play and which won't. And if apple starts pushing updates w/o getting Verizon's approval, it is a trivial matter for verizon to disable all of those updated phones. Apple knows this and so they can't push an update w/o Verizon's approval.

And I might repeat that this is *exactly* the way it works in works in webOS where Sprint was typically far ahead on the release of a webOS update compared to verizon. It is no accident that the recommendation for a Pre2 (if you want the latest and greatest webOS updates) is to get an unlocked GSM version.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Actually, the Verizon model had WiFi tethering before its AT&T variant when the VZW iPhone first launched. They're not leaving it high and dry but most likely waiting for the branches to be merged instead of releasing another fairly large update (in terms of bandwidth expenditure, etc.) for just a beta feature.
    I'd think Verizon people would like to try Air Play and Home Sharing like their GSM counterparts, plus those improvements and bug fixes that are in 4.3. They are paying the same rates yet cannot use their phone fully. I'd be ****ed if I were on Verizon. And personally I'm still having a hard time believing this was Apple's doing, holding back features. They risk angering customers instead of gaining more loyal fans, which equals loyal customers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'd think Verizon people would like to try Air Play and Home Sharing like their GSM counterparts, plus those improvements and bug fixes that are in 4.3. .
    I have Airplay, but am only on 4.2.1 (ATT, just haven't updated it). Or am I misunderstanding you? Is Airplay not available on Verizon at all?

In fact I had a recent "eco system" win the other day - not being an A/V type person., it was very cool to set up my Airport Express to play through my living room speakers in about 3 seconds flat. Very cool.
    I'd think Verizon people would like to try Air Play and Home Sharing like their GSM counterparts, plus those improvements and bug fixes that are in 4.3. They are paying the same rates yet cannot use their phone fully. I'd be ****ed if I were on Verizon. And personally I'm still having a hard time believing this was Apple's doing, holding back features. They risk angering customers instead of gaining more loyal fans, which equals loyal customers.
    All of what you mentioned here is currently available to VZW iPhone users; the ONLY feature they don't have right now is the new beta iTunes cloud feature (which doesn't even fully work yet).

Edit: As of 4.2.8 iOS does have AirPlay capabilities for both audio & video. I'm almost positive it has everything else you mentioned but can't say 100%.
    Last edited by barkerja; 06/07/2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Then why does it say 4.3 debuted those features plus improvements when I checked?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Then why does it say 4.3 debuted those features plus improvements when I checked?
    It might been extended to third party developers in 4.3 (the video portion, audio has existed to third parties for a while).
    Not having a beta feature that's not fully operational makes them inferior?
    Not really, but operating on a earlier OS version makes it appear that way. As does not being able to use data and voice at the same time. I know that is a GSM v CDMA issue, but the smartphone race is largely a game of checkboxes, and the AT&T iphone4 has more...

Verizon wants to convince new iphone customers that they are the place to go for iphone4. Lagging behind the AT&T version in any way is a hinderance. I would just assume they would make extra effort to atleast keep feature parity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Not really, but operating on a earlier OS version makes it appear that way. As does not being able to use data and voice at the same time. I know that is a GSM v CDMA issue, but the smartphone race is largely a game of checkboxes, and the AT&T iphone4 has more...

Verizon wants to convince new iphone customers that they are the place to go for iphone4. Lagging behind the AT&T version in any way is a hinderance. I would just assume they would make extra effort to atleast keep feature parity.
    Those checkboxes only matter to people like you and me who know the difference. Most of my friends and family that own iPhones don't even update their iPhones. Some are still running versions of the OS that came with the device when they bought it. It's not until I tell them they need to update (and why) that they actually update.
    That's hard to believe since iTunes tells you to update, though you don't have to but why wouldn't people want the latest?

Believe it or not, most of my friends who use iPhones have been running PC-free since they activated them. They download apps over the air, buy music over the air, stream the music they don't buy, and just never plug it in to their PCs.

Huh, I just noticed the name of this thread. Cute.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Oh noes.... Verizon customers cannot download a BETA version of iOS.

FWIW: If you are a developer, there is a iOS5 beta for the Verizon iPhone and iPad.

Sorry... it doesn't have the impact of the flashy thread title from the resident "Apple is evil" forum member.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Believe it or not, most of my friends who use iPhones have been running PC-free since they activated them. They download apps over the air, buy music over the air, stream the music they don't buy, and just never plug it in to their PCs.

Huh, I just noticed the name of this thread. Cute.
    Same here. My sister has never once hooked her phone up to iTunes. That's one reason why iOS 5 is so huge, it will almost force updates to those that probably would have never updated previously, which is good all around (it allows developers to access more consumers and not be restricted to support older versions).
    From what I'm reading, and from what I checked on my own devices, it's the fact that Apple is allowing you to download purchased songs to your device. Or is the market update available to all?

From what I'm reading, and from what I checked on my own devices, it's the fact that Apple is allowing you to download purchased songs to your device. Or is the market update available to all?
    That should be available to all since it's web based.
    I'm confused by the article then. I thought it was a market change too. The article makes no mention of the beta not being available, unless I missed something. So I thought it was talking about the features Apple enacted yesterday, that's part of the cloud function.

BTW, what do people who never back up do if they ever need to one day? They will lose all their settings and app data, yuck. Not fun when your phone is the way you want it. Good thing iOS 5 helps with that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast