Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are other threads that are running blog-like discussions of WWDC. This thread will try to summarize new features with reference links to our sister-site TiBp.com when possible. Also see bgr.com.

Apple iOS 5 is a monster: new notifications, Newsstand, Twitter, iMessage, more!
    • Over 200 new features and 1,500 new APIs

Over 200 million iOS devices sold, 25 million iPads

iOS 5 revamps iOS notifications
    Apple had hired webOS Notifications Designer Peter Hajas
    • Notifications are no longer disruptive
    • Notifications in topbar take up no onscreen space
    • Swipe notifications down like Android to see them.
    • Swipe up like Android to hide them again.
    • Tap an item to see it, others will be waiting when you are ready.
    • The lock screen displays recent notifications.

Newsstand for magazines and newspaper
    Newspapers include New York Times, National Geographic, SPIN, Conde Nast, Nylon, GQ, Esquire etc. You can purchase subscriptions...

Twitter now an integrated part of iOS 5

Safari gets tabbed browsing, Safari Reader and Reading List in iOS 5

Reminders
    • "50,000 apps were just made obsolete."
    • Reminders is a reminder and task feature that lets you set time or location-based reminders.
    • In other words, a date and time can trigger a reminder, or a GPS location can trigger a reminder.

iOS 5 revamps iOS camera functions
    • "The iPhone 4 is now the...second most popular over all."
    • The new camera app opens much, much, much faster.
    • Camera is also accessible with a double-tap on the home button.
    • The volume up button can also be used to take shots. FINALLY!
    • The native camera app now also has grid lines available and pinch to zoom works in the UI.
    • Cropping, red eye removal, and one-tap enhance are all supported.

Mail gets an upgrade in iOS 5
    • New keyboard – you can split it up! (iPad only most likely)
    • Rich text editing (bold, italics, fonts, font sizes, etc.)
    • Indentation control
    • Draggable addresses
    • Search entire content of messages
    • Flag messages

iOS 5 iMessage service across iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
    • Apple is launching a new iOS-only messaging service called iMessage.
    • It supports text, photos, videos, contacts, group messaging, delivery receipts, read receipts, typing indications
    • Multi-device support so you can move from an iPhone to an iPad and not miss anything.
    • It is fully encrypted as well, and it works over Wi-Fi or cellular connections.
    • BBM for iPhone.
    • Is the same as the Messaging app so it's beautiful and familiar.

iCloud, new FREE server hub and sync for all your stuff
    Content storage Keeps all your stuff, syncs it to all your devices
    MobileMe Mail, Calendar and Contacts with iCloud are free
    Calendar sharing: No more workarounds needed. You can share your events.
    No ads Clearly a shot at Google
    iBooks also sync, pretty much like they did before
    Backups: Music, iBooks, photos and videos, device settings, and app data
    Apps All apps are automatically added to all new devices (up to 10)
    Document sharing: iWork suite, Pages, Keynote, Numbers can sync docs between devices.
    iCloud app: Photo Stream: Photos go up from your devices to iCloud, and down to your devices from iCloud. Stores last 1000 photos, stores for 30 days.
    iTunes in the Cloud: re-download your music, just like you’ve been re-downloading apps. Automatic downloads as well. Up to 10 devices, so no “all devices” 256kb AAC
    iTunes Match service: You can sync stuff you already own to iCloud, you can re-buy a few songs you love, or you can use iTunes Match service. It’ll scan your collection, if it finds it in the iTunes catalog, it makes it available to you in 256kb AAC. Costs $25 a year. 20K songs.

iOS 5 feature: over the air (OTA) automatic daily backups
    • Backups will include music, books, photos, videos, Device settings and app data.
    • Gone are the days of having to worry about losing your data if your device gets stolen or damaged.
    • Get a new one on your Apple ID and there’s all your data.

When can you get iOS 5 on your device? This fall!
    • For iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPad 2, iPod touch (3rd and 4th gen)
    • Beta now

iOS 5 Video

Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event June 2011

Last month it was Google I/O with Music Beta, 400,000 Androids a day,
    Android 3.1, Movies, Ice Cream, NFC Upgrades, etc.

Who do you think had the bigger news?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/06/2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Full WWDC keynote is now available: Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event June 2011
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Full WWDC keynote is now available: Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event June 2011
    Thanks, I will add it.
  4.    #4  
    iOS 5 Beta already Jail-broken

So basically Apple took the best from everyone:
    WWDC 2011: Apple takes other platforms' best services, makes them better with iOS 5 | ZDNet

Apple copies a bunch of features from Android, calls it iOS5 (Updated)‎

New features
    Android Notifications take up no room
    webOS notifications display on the lock screen
    BBM, BlackBerry messenger, was the only reason left for BB
    webOS and Android backup to the cloud
    Google Music type music sync
    Windows camera button on lock screen.
    Android, webOS OTA Updates
    WinAmp media Sync
    Multitouch gestures (to open and close app cards, etc.)
    LED flash and vibration settings (from everyone else)
    Reminders based on time or location like Geostrings and "50,000 apps"
    HDMI Mirroring like Android apps puts phone's screen on TV as monitor.
    Tabbed Browsing like Honeycomb
    Twitter sync like Android and webOS

Previously Added
    Just Type: Apple Spotlight in early 2009. Swipe right on home screen and just type. Customize apps to include.
    Multitasking: Press Home twice and flickthrough the cards for your open apps: Apple Multitasking Cards Video.

iPhone is Still Missing
    4G
    microSD
    Widgets
    Google Print like Android to print to almost any printer on a network (HP adopting it too)
    Facebook Sync of contacts and calendar like Android or webOS
    3G Video Chat like Android
    Voice Actionslike Android. iOS Voice Control is more limited.
    Google Docs integration
    Google Voice integration
    Near Field Communication for peer-to-peer
    USB OTG to connect flash drives, mice, etc
    Application trials like everyone else (uninstall soon & charges reversed)

Also see: The 5 best iOS 5 features not highlighted at WWDC — Apple News, Tips and Reviews
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/11/2011 at 12:36 PM.
    That is like a robot, just kidding, hope you got the joke
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Makes me wonder, why cant H/P take homebrew, incorporates it and makes a webOS 4.0? Wait H/P is too lazy.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Makes me wonder, why cant H/P take homebrew, incorporates it and makes a webOS 4.0? Wait H/P is too lazy.
    I think that everyone here would agree.

Homebrew is the best thing ever. It makes webOS simply the easiest to patch or theme.

Even a newbie can do almost anything with it.

Android started as a nerd development toy. But get together a lot of brilliant minds and you can go anywhere.

Even if Palm never adopted Homebrew, why not at least take more than a handful of the patches. :sigh:
    Very nice write up!
    All that is great for iOS but that still wouldn't make me leave WebOS.

Give me WebOS-type of multitasking and then they'll be speaking my language. That and WebOS-type synergy are the big two holding me to WebOS (multitasking is the bigger of the two for me). Android multitasking is not intuitive at all and iPhone's version of it is no better. I was hoping iOS5 would address multitasking (unless I missed that part of the announcement?).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  10.    #10  
    If you haven't tried multitasking on an iPhone in the last year, it is interesting to see now.

Apple iOS uses cards for their multitasking: Video How to: Using iOS 4.2 Multitasking. Tap Home twice. Flick the cards left or right to see other open apps. Again, they are live snapshots.

It is fun to show an iPhone owner there multitasking the first time. They may have had no idea it was there.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    There are Widgets

Say what you will about the "copying", but they are getting things done. unlike HP where the product has no buzz beyond this forum.

You can reminisce about the good old days of WebOS, but that's all you have. While you say "HP doesn't really want market share", rest assured... they will never have more than 3% (and that is generous)

I had high hopes for WebOs but too many missteps.. "you could have been a contender"

Edit: While every platform can have their supporters, the bottom line is that they are all in business to make $$. With Apple being worth more than MS and HP combined, and nearly 175% what Google is worth, somebody must be doing something right.
    Last edited by genearch; 06/07/2011 at 07:57 PM.
    I can't hate Apple for making their own os more current. All the changes have done is make it harder for me to choose a pre3 over the next iPhone and add in iCloud, it looks like Apple struck directly at what HP has wanted to do and will pull it off before a pre3 hits the streets.

IF the next iphone really is released for sprint, there is absolutely nothing compelling to buy a pre3 over it. sad
    Yeah that multitasking is so wonderful on the iphone that no one knows how to use it. It's only logical that they upgrade their OS. It's still not released till Fall, and will still be behind webOS in terms of usability.
    I agree, iOS5 now removes anything holding me back. Except for the carrier... I refuse to pay $60 more a month (over two lines) for LESS minutes and data.

To this I'll add what we already know about the Pre3- its camera is not as good as iPhone, it is not as solid a build (unless they're making an Envy version too), it has a lower resolution screen, and it's battery life is significantly less. Also, not as many voice command features. Oh, and there are a few less apps.

Is webOS multitasking worth those points? I might still say yes, I love it so much... and the Just Type is slightly better than the iPhone's universal search, in some ways. Still... It'll come down to who's on Sprint for me.

I just returned a Nexus S after a three week trial... Android just hurts my eyes. Can't bring myself to accept it's glaring weaknesses.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yeah that multitasking is so wonderful on the iphone that no one knows how to use it. It's only logical that they upgrade their OS. It's still not released till Fall, and will still be behind webOS in terms of usability.
    I love to show WebOS people how I can hold down my home button and say "Call Tammy" and the phone magically calls my home.

They drool.....

Or how I have a fully functional Facebook app, or how I can drop it in my BMW and control Pandora from the screen, or browse Facebook and Twitter on my 1280x480 display. Or how I can control my Sonos whole house audio system via my iPhone. Or how I can lock/unlock my BMW from anywhere.

Of course I'm kidding... as a long time member of this forum, I'd love to see WebOS make a comeback.
    Last edited by genearch; 06/08/2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post

Oh, and there are a few less apps.
    Ya think?
    You know, a friend of mine at Palm sent me some pictures she took with her Pre 3 and they were surprisingly not that bad. They're not as good as the EVO or the iPhone 4's cameras, but they're significantly better than anything I've seen from the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Usability is a myth. Millions and millions of people are buying and using iOS devices just fine. Take a ride on the 4, 5, 6, D or 7 train or any train in NY. You will be amazed.

It's usually the techs/geeks that make the noise of multitasking. The general public are using iOS devices it would appear just fine.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I agree, iOS5 now removes anything holding me back. Except for the carrier... I refuse to pay $60 more a month (over two lines) for LESS minutes and data...
    The iPhone 4S is expected to go to all four carriers in September.
    iOS5
    : Custom vibrations, on a per-contact basis, as pointed out by MacRumors. This is kinda cool, not just for the hearing impaired but for the rest of us as well. Example: If you’re in a meeting and your device is in silent mode, you can tell when your wife is calling based on a vibration pattern – how cool is that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast